Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Supposedly, it can help you get out of tickets, or at least some leniency.

I have a friend that has a fallen firefighter license plate, and claims to get out of speeding tickets all the time.

07-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote

I have a friend that has a fallen firefighter license plate, and claims to get out of speeding tickets all the time.
That aspect can work both ways though. We have 7 police agencies to deal with in the City of Tallahassee for example. They all have differing "philosophies" shall we say.
07-25-2009, 03:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No I didnt have any negative feelings against them as men. Just that they were doing their job and, in this instance, what did that entail. Thats what came into my head in the initial instant. "Whats going on?"
However, once chatting, no problem at all.
Actually, to take it further, one was to attend a medical about an hour later, and he was very worried if he did not pass, because of his weight, he may be out of a job.
I felt for him and reassured him as best I could, after all he didnt look that overweight to me.
So everything went well and I wished him good luck on parting.
After all, its just another person, with wife and kids I imagine. Its only the over zealous that get the rest a bad name.

Yes I sold Pentax and he seemed genuinely interested. Said he would do some looking into Pentax before he made a decision on what to buy.,
07-25-2009, 06:37 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Folks are too apt to forget there are people inside those blue uniforms.
most uniforms are black nowadays no?

07-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
do you have NRA/FOP/etc stickers all over the car ?
NRA sticker is NOT a good think to have on your car. The police automatically assume there is a good chance you are armed and criminals tend to think you may have a gun stashed in your car and break into it to get it.

BTW: I have been a life member since the early 70's.
07-25-2009, 08:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If we can get more police to become photographers, we will probably have less problems. Being a photographer, a policeman/woman would understand what we are doing and why and be less afraid that we are terrorists.
07-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
most uniforms are black nowadays no?
It depends on the jurisdiction. Many county and state police wear khaki.
07-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #23
Damn Brit

Years ago my friend was out for a ride on his Kawasaki K1000, they were fairly new on the market and he was letting it have a it's head a little.
Then behind him he saw a policeman on a Moto Guzzi coming up on him. My friend slowed down to the speed limit and hoped for the best. The Moto Guzzi pulled along side him, my friend looked across and saw the officer grinning at him. My friend put his head back down and carried on. The Moto Guzzi kept pace and every time my friend looked across, the officer was still grinning. Eventually my friend said "Is there a problem officer".
The reply was "Let me have a go on it".

07-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #24
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
NRA sticker is NOT a good think to have on your car. The police automatically assume there is a good chance you are armed and criminals tend to think you may have a gun stashed in your car and break into it to get it.

BTW: I have been a life member since the early 70's.
We actually agree on something
07-27-2009, 03:31 AM   #25
Inactive Account

As of August 3, Bramela won't have to worry about speeding tickets, either. Police are on strike for a pay rise ('cause our state's deep, deep within the red-ink side of the accountant's ledger) and will be refusing to issue traffic fines.
07-27-2009, 04:49 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
We actually agree on something
WooHoo! Life is good!
07-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Well I certainly hope this little discussion does not result in more superior optics in speed cameras.
Beware cheap Nikons on eBay: 22 stolen from NYC red light cameras

Apparently the optics some of them use nowadays aren't half bad anyways.

The idea of traffic cameras with FA limiteds is scary, however... not only could they see your license plates, they could see your SOUL.
07-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Beware cheap Nikons on eBay: 22 stolen from NYC red light cameras

Apparently the optics some of them use nowadays aren't half bad anyways.

The idea of traffic cameras with FA limiteds is scary, however... not only could they see your license plates, they could see your SOUL.
why would they use an SLR in a traffic camera?
07-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Considering Endgadgets links to an add, there is something fishy about that. I would expect a surveillance camera made for that application.

New York, NY - Thieves Remove 20% of Traffic Surveillance Cameras from City Streets -- VosIzNeias

This article just says 22 "high end" Nikons.
07-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery

It usually only opens the conversation, if there's no real affiliation with the Police then having those stickers is just seen as someone trying too hard.....

.... also, don't forget, in some areas firefighters and police are bitter rivals and there's no breaks for the bucket boys.