Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Heard a strange rumor

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't been around lately...trying to figure out what I'm going to do once I run out of weddings in 2 months (and have no day job), my baby is born and my wife goes on maternity leave (and loses 40% of her income)...and all around the Christmas season.

Well in any case, I was at a local camera store just browsing and started up a conversation with the sales person. He told me about a rumor that's going around that Pentax was getting out of the Digital Camera market and they weren't going to be making or selling lenses any longer. With Ritz Camera pulling all their Pentax merchandise off the shelves I'm wondering if this is true.

If it is I'll be pretty upset...since I recently made a huge investment in Pentax equipment (before I got laid off).

07-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Don't believe it.
07-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't been around lately...trying to figure out what I'm going to do once I run out of weddings in 2 months (and have no day job), my baby is born and my wife goes on maternity leave (and loses 40% of her income)...and all around the Christmas season.
you're just a sponge for sympathy arnt you?

edit: she does not lose income, she gets 60% of her income for 3-4 months without showing up to work. Talk about being a pesimist!

Well in any case, I was at a local camera store just browsing and started up a conversation with the sales person. He told me about a rumor that's going around that Pentax was getting out of the Digital Camera market and they weren't going to be making or selling lenses any longer. With Ritz Camera pulling all their Pentax merchandise off the shelves I'm wondering if this is true.

If it is I'll be pretty upset...since I recently made a huge investment in Pentax equipment (before I got laid off).
then sell your gear if you believe it

but its a pretty silly rumor, from Ritz of all places. If anything this would be leaking from Japan, and even then i wouldnt bother believing it.

Last edited by Gooshin; 07-23-2009 at 01:56 PM.
07-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Damn Brit

The Right Wing will save you and Pentax, don't worry.

07-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
The Right Wing will save you and Pentax, don't worry.
Yo. What you smokin? Or have you inhaled too much synthetic fertilizers at the nursery?
07-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nahh... he just wants you to become a Canikon user. He makes more money that way....
07-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I hope they go tits up...then I can buy me some more lenses on the cheap when everyone jumps to the Canikony ship!

/sarcasm

c[_]

07-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

i have shot quite a few photos in the last few months with obsolete gear, some of which is twice my age... so your statement has a certain truth to it.
07-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi everyone,
Ritz employees have been saying this for at least 2 years now.
07-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
Nahh... he just wants you to become a Canikon user. He makes more money that way....
I agree! That's the best way to discourage you from buying one brand in favor of another, just tell you that they are going out of business.

jimH
07-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Yup, and Hoya loves us so much that just before they pull the plug they invested a swack of R&D into some new lenses and a new camera body.
No wonder Ritz is going out of business with morons like that behind the counter.
07-24-2009, 04:04 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Yup, and Hoya loves us so much that just before they pull the plug they invested a swack of R&D into some new lenses and a new camera body.
No wonder Ritz is going out of business with morons like that behind the counter.
my thoughts exactly.
07-24-2009, 04:05 AM   #13
Inactive Account

It's true. Hoya's executive toilets have 10000 yen notes in place of toilet paper.

It's absolute BS. Pentax, if anything, is getting stronger. The K-7 should be testimony to that; were it not, they'd have released a lower-featured version of the K-m, or no DSLR at all.

I'd even go so far as to say Hoya's giving Pentax a much-needed shot in the arm, at least with the camera body side of things. I hope they just let Pentax's lens engineering wing take over Tokina, not the other way around.

I, too, was afraid we'd see Hoya just flogging the Pentax name off to whoever'd shell out for it - put the name on crap like fifth-rate memory cards, novelty tabletop tripods, cheap teleconverters - but the K-7 is pretty damning evidence that Hoya knows a good thing.

Just let them do that thing with the lenses, ok?
07-24-2009, 05:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Sounds good, means unreasonably cheap second hand lenses from fleeing users.
And what did he said about samsung K mount DSLR's?
07-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax most likely expects Ritz to pay for the cameras and lenses they sell. Ritz just doesn't understand that concept.