Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is ebays 47th st photo a reputable place to by lenses?

I am wondering if anyone has had any dealing with these guys. It states it is a Sigma authorized dealer so that would mean warrenty would be good. They have a good feedback rating but this sometime doesn't mean anything.
Please help

07-26-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I just bought a lens from them. It arrived in perfect condition 3 business days later just as advertised. I am quite pleased with the service. One bit of humor. My lens has a 3 year warranty but that has not stopped them from sending two emails offering me a 3 year extended warranty. LOL! I am pleased, if amused.
07-26-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have purchased from them several times with no problems
07-26-2009, 07:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very helpful , Thank you so much!

Now I still have to decide between the Sigma and the Tamron

07-27-2009, 03:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
have dealt with them on many occasions via eBay or Amazon and had no issues. Once upon a time they did have a reputation of trying to upsell if you buy direct through their website...not sure that is the case anymore. Still I like using the layer of insulation that eBay and Amazon provide in that area.

Last edited by brecklundin; 07-27-2009 at 04:32 AM.
07-27-2009, 11:53 AM   #6

Once I had asked BH Photovideo whether they would match the price of 47th St Photo. They refused.
07-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
I just bought a lens from them. It arrived in perfect condition 3 business days later just as advertised. I am quite pleased with the service. One bit of humor. My lens has a 3 year warranty but that has not stopped them from sending two emails offering me a 3 year extended warranty. LOL! I am pleased, if amused.
I noticed when I was looking at a Sigma lens on Amazon that in the 'What's Include' section of the lens details, they mention a one year warranty but not the extended.

07-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I noticed when I was looking at a Sigma lens on Amazon that in the 'What's Include' section of the lens details, they mention a one year warranty but not the extended.
Gary,

I wondered the same thing a while back when I bought my 10-20 via Amazon and called Sigma. They told me it did not matter the warranty was 4yrs. It is their standard warranty for the USA non-gray market EX series of lenses. The non-EX lenses are only 1-yr.

But that was a year ago and if anyone is buying from Amazon directly (remember just because it is sold through Amazon of the item says "order fulfilled by Amazon" does not mean you are buying from Amazon).

I think is out be a safe bet that the EX lenses purchased from Amazon are indeed not considered gray market and thus have the USA 4-year EX warranty.
07-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dhruba Quote
Once I had asked BH Photovideo whether they would match the price of 47th St Photo. They refused.
once....you know at band camp...

hehehehe....sorry I could not help myself!!
07-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Gary,

I wondered the same thing a while back when I bought my 10-20 via Amazon and called Sigma. They told me it did not matter the warranty was 4yrs. It is their standard warranty for the USA non-gray market EX series of lenses. The non-EX lenses are only 1-yr.

But that was a year ago and if anyone is buying from Amazon directly (remember just because it is sold through Amazon of the item says "order fulfilled by Amazon" does not mean you are buying from Amazon).

I think is out be a safe bet that the EX lenses purchased from Amazon are indeed not considered gray market and thus have the USA 4-year EX warranty.

I'm going to be cynical and say that they do that so that they can (as in Mithrandirs case) try and sell their own warranty to the unsuspecting buyer.
07-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Two of my three Pentax autofocus lenses are from them. My only word of advice is to call ahead and make sure they have it in stock. They have items listed on eBay that may not be in stock.
07-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ironically, I have had successful dealings with 47th Street and 17th Street Photography. Both are in my top 8 for new gear along with BH & Ador.
07-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Ironically, I have had successful dealings with 47th Street and 17th Street Photography. Both are in my top 8 for new gear along with BH & Ador.
+1 there from me as well...I've bought from each and every one and had the same level of service even on $5 items...but all via either eBay or Amazon not directly through their website, except for B&H always bought from them directly.
07-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I got my 10-20mm from them via eBay. The lens came on time and in perfect condition, but it was missing the 3yr extended warranty card. I emailed them and they mailed me an extended warranty card the next day.
08-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #15

Got my 85mm Opteka from them no problem. but when I ordered my sigma 10-20 through amazon.com, where it was listed as in stock, they didn't have it in stock... no problem canceling the order. I needed it fast and found it same price at BH.