Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2009, 07:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The rest of the Ritz's are closing up unexpectedly

I was popping in and out of some of the few local Ritz cameras the past few weeks, hoping to see something good in the clearance sections. Everything looked business as usual, with no "going out of business" signs or anything out of the ordinary. Then, I happened to call a few to ask a question about something and found that all the stores I had just visited, including one about a week ago, had just suddenly closed up. No warning, no 80% off. They are just gone. There were probably a dozen within 100 miles of me still open after the big closings a few months back, however I believe 10 of them have suddenly closed this weekend, and only 2 are even still answering their phone as being open.

Get in there now, while they're still there, as the last remaining stores are supposedly taking shipments from the closed ones, and may have a few odds and ends left. The company was just sold last week, so I'm sure this has something to do with it.

07-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Who would have thought that Pentax would outlast Ritz?
Certainly none of the newly unemployed sales people.
07-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
As of yesterday, two stores in my area had a few Pentax lenses left from their last clearance sale. While there are no "80% off everything in the store" slashings like last time, you may get lucky and find something lying around that already got a huge markdown.
07-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Who would have thought that Pentax would outlast Ritz?
Certainly none of the newly unemployed sales people.
I have heard it from the Wolf and Ritz people since the 80s.

07-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just got an email from David Ritz telling me that my closest store is closed. No grace period, it's gone.

I guess I'll be using Walgreens for casual stuff, and I'll have to start looking for online labs for stuff I care about.

QuoteQuote:

Dear Valued Customer,

Over the past few months, most of us have become painfully aware that the U.S. economy has tumbled into very turbulent times. As a result, Ritz Camera filed for bankruptcy earlier this year. However, unlike several major retail chains that have since closed, Ritz Camera has successfully emerged from bankruptcy stronger than ever, and will continue to offer our exceptional service to you, our customer. We are as committed as ever to providing you with the best possible online imaging experience, and we are happy to say that Ritzpix.com is here to stay.

As an unfortunate consequence of these economic times and our emergence from bankruptcy, a store you have ordered to sometime within the past year (Ritz Camera 309 , South Shore Plaza #1210, Braintree, MA) has closed.

Please use our Location Selector to find another store conveniently located in your area of work, shopping, or home.

We will continue to offer our unique and convenient 1 Hour service for many of our online Products! If your search returns no stores in your area, we encourage you to try our mail order service. Get the same great camera store quality, delivered right to your door!

We use LifePics, the premier image hosting and storage company in the U.S., to safely store and protect your memories. Your images are safe and secure even if your local store has closed.

We would like to take a moment to express our thanks for your continued patronage, and as a special "Thank You!" we would like to offer the opportunity to receive 30% off the combined total of your next order. Simply enter the promo code XXXXXXXXXX at check out and hit "apply" to receive your discount. Treat yourself or a loved one to something special, without putting a dent in your wallet, at your NEW location!

THIS IS A ONE TIME OFFER FOR OUR SPECIAL RITZPIX.COM CUSTOMERS.
This offer may not be combined with any other promotion currently advertised.

This offer is valid on all of the hundreds of items available on Ritzpix.com, including:

* Prints & Enlargements
* Custom Photo Books
* Picture Perfect Photo Greeting Cards
* Calendars
* Personalized Photo Gifts
* So much more!

We thank you for your continued use of Ritzpix.com to fulfill your printing and image product needs, and look forward to continuing our relationship in the months and years to come.

Sincerely,

David Ritz

David Ritz
07-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Aha. I guess they're maybe leaving *something* open. I wonder what this leaves them with.
07-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Just spoke with a fellow Pentaxian that is a manager at a local Wolf/Ritz store here in Georgia and asked what was goin on and wheres the bargains!

His response"Ritz/Wolf Camera is now 1/2 owned by Nikon" he went on to say that"no bargains like last time,infact we had to send all Nikon product back to headquarters for inventory then will ship back to stores....we have no Nikon in his store" as we spoke....

This is news to me,I guess owing Nikon sooo much(how many millions?)they are now partners!My how things change.........