Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #1

Another Ritz Camera moment

Hey everyone! I'm brand new to this forum and I'm a new Pentax owner once again! I ended up here and got a kick out of the Ritz/Wolf stories and wanted to share mine.

My POS/p&s Casio (?) bought-it-because-it-was-red battery died and I was smitten with camera lust.

I circled all around all the reviews and drifted away from p&s, because...well, you all know why.

By way of background, there's a K1000 in a closet here somewhere, and a PZ something and at least 4 lenses. I'm enchanted that Pentax has maintained compatability and do the research on their current line. DH, however, has gone to 4/3 and has a sweet macro for his DSLR Oly. So I was stuck on the horns of a dilemma with a K2000 on one side and Olympus (I-already-forgot-the-model-number) on the other.

Having purchased the PZ locally, I stumble into the store (which is now Ritz) hoping to hold a K2000 before I jump ship and go to Olympus. The boy-child working at the counter says "We do carry Pentax, but we shipped them all back last week."

I may be old and stupid, but I know BS when I run into it.
But since it's been quite an adventure to get to the shop, I ask what entry-level DSLRs they have. The boy plopped an enormous Nikon on the counter and started rattling off its features and benefits.

Now, with a bit of arthritis in my thumb and wrist, I can hardly lift that monster; I can't imagine holding it up to take pictures!

I mention that I believe the K2000 is smaller. The boy proceeds to tell me that I should get the Nikon because "down the road, more accessories will be available."
This makes me laugh out loud, right in his face, and by way of an explanation I say, "My road stretches off into the past, and it is strewn with quite a few Pentax accessories."

Nobody carries Pentax locally, and I was really thinking it would be sensible to get an Olympus body, and mooch my husband's lenses, but I just couldn't.

B&H has a 15 day return policy, and the rest is history. I'm still within the 15 days, but that K2000 is not going anywhere, except with me.

07-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Damn Brit

This is not a Pentax News or Rumour, please be careful where you post.

The guy in the store was not lying, Ritz will no longer be selling Pentax and they have shipped all their stock back.
07-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a relaxed forum for intelligent conversation and discussion of topics unrelated to Pentax photography.

According to the write-up under this forum thread, his post should not be here because it is related to Pentax photography. I thought this forum was only for topics that are unrelated?? While I agree it's not a News or Rumor, according to the site's own forum descriptions, it should not be here either. I thought this was the off-topic forum, yet his post has info regarding Pentax all throughout it.
07-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sheesh guys chill. And I think Malkin is a she not a he due to references to DH which usually mean dear/darling hubby (or damn hubby depending on the day). So I'll say welcome to the forum and I love your story, especially the part about the road being strewn with Pentax accessories. Thanks for sharing. (boy-child. lol)

And congrats on your purchase. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work.

07-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by malkin Quote
Hey everyone! I'm brand new to this forum and I'm a new Pentax owner once again! I ended up here and got a kick out of the Ritz/Wolf stories and wanted to share mine.

My POS/p&s Casio (?) bought-it-because-it-was-red battery died and I was smitten with camera lust.

I circled all around all the reviews and drifted away from p&s, because...well, you all know why.

By way of background, there's a K1000 in a closet here somewhere, and a PZ something and at least 4 lenses. I'm enchanted that Pentax has maintained compatability and do the research on their current line. DH, however, has gone to 4/3 and has a sweet macro for his DSLR Oly. So I was stuck on the horns of a dilemma with a K2000 on one side and Olympus (I-already-forgot-the-model-number) on the other.

Having purchased the PZ locally, I stumble into the store (which is now Ritz) hoping to hold a K2000 before I jump ship and go to Olympus. The boy-child working at the counter says "We do carry Pentax, but we shipped them all back last week."

But since it's been quite an adventure to get to the shop, I ask what entry-level DSLRs they have. The boy plopped an enormous Nikon on the counter and started rattling off its features and benefits.

Now, with a bit of arthritis in my thumb and wrist, I can hardly lift that monster; I can't imagine holding it up to take pictures!

I mention that I believe the K2000 is smaller. The boy proceeds to tell me that I should get the Nikon because "down the road, more accessories will be available."
This makes me laugh out loud, right in his face, and by way of an explanation I say, "My road stretches off into the past, and it is strewn with quite a few Pentax accessories."

Nobody carries Pentax locally, and I was really thinking it would be sensible to get an Olympus body, and mooch my husband's lenses, but I just couldn't.

B&H has a 15 day return policy, and the rest is history. I'm still within the 15 days, but that K2000 is not going anywhere, except with me.

Think you're right Mel. Her husband has lenses.

Malkin, Welcome to the forum

George (aka grapeseedextractgr8s)

PS. Hey Gary, lighten up.
07-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
This is a relaxed forum for intelligent conversation and discussion of topics unrelated to Pentax photography.

According to the write-up under this forum thread, his post should not be here because it is related to Pentax photography. I thought this forum was only for topics that are unrelated?? While I agree it's not a News or Rumor, according to the site's own forum descriptions, it should not be here either. I thought this was the off-topic forum, yet his post has info regarding Pentax all throughout it.
This is why I don't start many threads. Apparently, original posters aren't good enough to decide what topic they're writing about.

If I do, say, find a thread that a few minutes or hours old and I post in it (or even if I start my own!) if I wish to check back on it the next day, I must then trek through the vast and mysterious terrain of Pentaxforums.com, with its myriad forums and sub-forums, to find out where those who know more about the original poster's intent than the original poster decided it should be.
07-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
K-9
Veteran Member

I've never seen such a "friendly" forum be so diligent about off topic postings. I was barely here a week and received and infraction for putting something in the wrong place. Nice way to welcome new members. Most, umm, correction, all other forums I've seen on the internet just move them to the right place. No scolding, no infractions, they just do their moderating job and put things where they belong.

I am a bit bitter tonight because I put something in the Everything Else forum thread which is clearly described as "if you are unsure where else to post". I posted there, it got relocated, and I got a 2nd infraction in two months. I'm almost kicked off the site and all I've done was put two things in the supposedly wrong place. Nice friendly community, huh.

07-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
Damn Brit

You put the thread in News and Rumours. If it had been in Everything Else, it would have been moved without an infraction or fuss.
07-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
Inactive Account

There's sorta-maybe-off-topic, which should be given the benefit of the doubt (ie, someone asking about how to get M lenses to work on a K100D and posting it in the Lens forum, when it could be either/or with the Lens forum or the Beginner's corner) and completely off-topic; say, someone posting about the ME Super in the Post Processing thread.

The trouble is, there are too many forums, I feel, which makes it hard to decide where something should be.

Does a question about doing outdoor flash photography with the K20D with a hotshoe flash and an old Vivitar Series 1 lens go in the General Photography, the DSLR, or the Camera and Studio Accessories thread? (Is a flash a studio or field accessory...?)

I think it's a "within the letter of the law, but not the spirit" situation. It's to stop people posting, say, political threads in the Film Cameras forum, not to chastise those who aren't sure.

Wait, K-9 - you can get punished for posting in the wrong forum? What's that entail?
07-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #10
K-9
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what the infractions system is all about, but I kind of got a rude awakening in my first days here. It's some kind of points system that when you reach a certain number, you get banned from the site. It stays on your profile (although now I am hearing only you can see it and not everyone else) even after it expires.

Right, there are a lot of forums, so the moderators here should just move the ones that are in the wrong spot without having to say a word or give infractions. On other forums I've used, a topic in the wrong spot simply gets locked with a note on it saying "relocated to the xxxxx forum" and it's opened in the correct one. This way, someone going back to the spot they last saw it in, will know where to find it next. Actually, I think when you click on the old locked thread, it takes you to the new one. They don't do that here, but probably should. I don't feel they should give infractions for picking the wrong spot to post your thread. I've voiced it in the suggestions forum, if that's the right place for it .

And Brit, mine was in Everything Else. You are confusing my post with Malkin's above, as you noted to them their's didn't belong in News and Rumors. Mine was originally started in Everything Else, which is exactly where it states "if you are unsure where else to post". I thought it was ok there.
07-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #11
Damn Brit

Hopefully Adam will be able to confirm which of us is in error.
07-28-2009, 06:42 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're right, it was orignally in post in EE, then moved to GT by Gary. I will reverse the infraction.

Regarding the actual system:

The infraction system is an easy way for the moderators to notify users of violation of site rules. There are preconfigured messages for spamming, invalid marketplace posts, insulting other members, etc. An infraction may also be issued as a warning, in which case no 'points' are actually added to your profile.

Each infraction expires after a certain number of days, and once it does, the points from your profile are removed. It at any time you accumulate a total of 10 points, you will be banned until your points expire and fall below 10. Some infractions (i.e. 'Spamming upon registration') never expire, and can thus be used for easy permanent bans for spam bots.

Only you and the site staff can see infractions. The purpose of the system is to issue notifications, as well as keep track of users with a significant troublemaking history.

I may in the future re-word some of the infraction PM templates, as they do tend to come off a little bit harsh, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Welcome, malkin, and enjoy that new camera.

Jer
07-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #14

Original Poster
I pretty much belong in off topic anyway.

And this wasn't my first online sex-change

Does anyone else remember when you had to pay extra to get BLACK cameras?
07-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #15
Banned

I pretty much belong in off topic anyway.

And this wasn't my first online sex-change

Does anyone else remember when you had to pay extra to get BLACK cameras?
nowadays you pay extra to get colours other than black. funny how things change. by the way, welcome to the forums malkin.