Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Incredible lightning storm over Vancouver BC July 25th

OK sometimes I even amaze my self.

Last Saturday the wife and I needed to make a trip up to Vancouver to pick up my Son and Daughter in-law and her brother from the airport. We went up a couple of hours early, so I could stop at a couple of camera stores and look at goodies for an upcoming workshop that I'm going to.

After visiting the camera store's we went out to Spanish beach which offers a great view of the city skyline and of course I had one of my camera kit's with me. So we are sitting at the beach and I am kind of kicking myself because I made conscious decision not to bring my tripod when we left the house. The skyline was beautiful, the sun was starting to set, thunder heads were building behind the city, lightning was starting. Now I am kicking my self even harder for leaving the tripod (I never leave my tripod), OK so now I need to try to hand hold my camera, I get my camera set up for some 4 sec exposures at f 9.5 find myself a perch, so here I am all set up and snap my first shot........... No Memory card in camera, Now I'm really kicking myself, I look in the battery grip for my spare card that I am supposed to have............ Empty.

Damn Damn Damn...... all my the cards were in my other camera bag.

I didn't give it a second thought when I left the house.

The moral of the story..... even if you think you have what you need, take the time to double check, The tripod doesn't add any weight that the car will notice, so take it with.

So I did ended up capturing some great Images. But I am the only one that will ever see them again.

07-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am starting to think I should carry more of my stuff with me....I always seem to be missing something when the best stuff comes up!

Re the 25th......we could hear the thunder over the Vancouver way.....but for the most part it just missed us. We did have a weird twilight rainbow that I snapped a pic of. Not a great shot but I did capture it....

07-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I am starting to think I should carry more of my stuff with me....I always seem to be missing something when the best stuff comes up!

Re the 25th......we could hear the thunder over the Vancouver way.....but for the most part it just missed us. We did have a weird twilight rainbow that I snapped a pic of. Not a great shot but I did capture it....

I really can't wait to test out that fish eye, thanks for posting.
07-29-2009, 01:33 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I'm kind-of in your boat - I brought the camera to take pictures of the fireworks that night and packed before it started raining. Didn't think I'd need it right away and left it in the car when we went and had dinner at Kits beach - but when we were finished the sunset was probably the most amazing I've ever seen anywhere. The entire sky was yellow/orange and at the same time there was lightning flashing everywhere. I wish I could show you a picture of it, but of course the camera was in the car, parked waaaaay up the hill, 'cause of the fireworks crowd, and by the time I got it, the sun had all but set and the effect was over.

Still getting into my mojo with the DSLR, but a crappy lesson on bringing it with you all the time.

07-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh how feel your pain, This is the first time since I went with digital that I have forgot a memory card. I have run out before but never completely spaced it out
07-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same issue with me, I was at home with a perfect view of the yellow/orange sky. Unfortunatly I had no film on hand and I do not own a digital camera, I had run out the day before!
07-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

John wow that bites ! I have forgotten one or the other usually but rarley both ! Well all three if you count the Battery Grip and I always keep a spare there as well. About all that did not happen is the battery die

07-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So of the four of us that witnesed a great sunset and storm, we got 1 photo to remember it by. How bad are we? Oh well, I hope I learned my lesson.
07-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
John wow that bites ! I have forgotten one or the other usually but rarley both ! Well all three if you count the Battery Grip and I always keep a spare there as well. About all that did not happen is the battery die
I was pissed becuse I made the decision to leave the tripod at home and then just down right angry when I discovered I left all my cards at home. Oh well live and learn.

Better now then in September
07-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I wonder sometimes, how much of an experience I actually miss because I'm trying to watch it through the viewfinder rather than my own eyes.

I'm sure you still enjoyed the sunset despite not having your camera.
07-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
I wonder sometimes, how much of an experience I actually miss because I'm trying to watch it through the viewfinder rather than my own eyes.

I'm sure you still enjoyed the sunset despite not having your camera.

I know that I missed a lot of ball games sitting behind the lens.

It was a great sunset and the lightning.... OH the lightning.

Thanks for helping me keep it prospective.
07-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

This is a the sunny to storm cam still fast motion pics.

YouTube - A Day in Vancouver - katkam.ca
07-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote

Thanks for the link that was quite the evening. I live a couple minutes from the Burrard St. bridge and that is what it looked like from by deck. Once in a decade sunset/storm and no film!
07-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote

That was great that's exactly what I should have been taking pictures of.

Thanks for posting this, You did good