Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photography Magazines

What photography magazines are you guys subscribed to? I went to Barnes & Nobles yesterday and checked out all their magazines, they were loaded with photography magazines!

07-31-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I know a lot of folks had issues with Shutterbug because they ran ads for Broadway Photo, but I really enjoy their articles. That's the only one that I subscribe to right now.
07-31-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

Haven't subscibed to a photo mag since Camera 35 was around. They all cater way to much to the canikoners it seems.
07-31-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Haven't subscibed to a photo mag since Camera 35 was around. They all cater way to much to the canikoners it seems.
Yeah I have to agree with you on that one. All these magazines always always talk about either Nikon or Canon, and some are starting to talk more about Sony. I never really see much of Pentax on there.

07-31-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Yeah I have to agree with you on that one. All these magazines always always talk about either Nikon or Canon, and some are starting to talk more about Sony. I never really see much of Pentax on there.
Yep. But I must admit every once in a while I will buy a single edition if something interests me and I want to keep it. But I think the last I did buy had reviews/comparisons that had the K10 in it. It tough because I remember when all the mags had Pentax shooters.
08-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I get Outdoor Photography & Popular Photography. Yes, they talk more about Canikononylympus as far as gear goes, but I don't really care about that. I read 'em for the techniques and styles of working, not for the gear.

Jim
08-01-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I'm subscribed to Shutterbug electronically, $9 for the year and it comes right to my computer to browse at leisure.

For my birthday my parents subscribed me to Popular Photography so I get that as well, but I prefer Shutterbug.

I'll also pick up Outdoor Photographer if I see it but I'm not subscribed.

08-01-2009, 06:36 AM   #8
Banned

none. as I don't find any of them really worth their price.
08-01-2009, 06:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Same here, I do not subscribe to any magazines...

I usually pick up a photo magazine and a National Geographic when going thru an airport to have something to read on the plane, but thats about all the mags I read.

Pat
08-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I no longer subscribe to any photo magazines.

I have never subscribed to the American magazines because I objected to their mixing editorial and advertising content thus making reading any editorial matter a tedious chore.

I used to subscribe to some British magazines as one had no need to search back and forth through numerous "cont. on page" to read an entire article. Ads were either in the front or the back.

To sum up; US mags were advertiser friendly.
UK mags were user friendly.

Mickey
08-01-2009, 06:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't subscribe to any, I used to pick up Practical photography every month for about half a year, but got bored of it. Now I pick up British Journal of Photography anytime I'm in town.
08-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't subscribe to any, but I really should get on the list for Outdoor Photography Canada. Website blows, but the print magazine rocks!
08-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #13

I have a subscription with Pop Photo, which I don't know if I will renew, but I love Digital Photographer, a magazine from the UK. I hesitate on getting a subscription because a year would cost me a little under $140 USD.

Digital Photographer - For enthusiasts and pros

(I can also find it at Books-a-million at around $14 per issue)

RD

Last edited by SCguy; 08-01-2009 at 11:36 AM.
08-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I get Popular Photography, but I don't think there's a ton of value in it. If the subscription is cheap, it's worth considering. Shutterbug is also occasionally interesting, but I think it's very poorly edited (poor writing, typos, and bad layout are a big pet peeve of mine). I always look at American Photo, Outdoor Photography, and some of the art photo magazines when I'm in Borders or Barnes & Noble. They all cater to Canon/Nikon, but I can look past that easily enough.
08-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #15
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In the 1990's, the British magazine Practical Photography was by far the best photo magazine. Packed to the gills from cover to cover. In the early part of this decade, the magazine started slipping, and one of the technical editors there, Daniel Lezano, left to edit his own magazine, Photography Monthly.

Photography Monthly quickly started looking like Practical Photography did in the 90's and literally left the new version of Practical in the dust. Funny, because once Lezano left Photography Monthly in 2006, it also started becoming a little less packed with features.

Lezano then started Digital SLR Photography (Digital SLR Photography magazine :: Home) in 2006, which is what I consider to be the best current photography magazine. Full of informing tests and instructionals with high quality shots. It puts all US magazines to shame.

Aside from that, Photography Monthly is still decent, and actually, Practical Photography has been coming back around lately to be a very good read as well.

Bottom line is that even the worst UK mag is better than anything the US has to offer. I'd say Shutterbug may be the most decent US mag, but even that is amateurish looking compared to the British titans.

Another interesting one is Amateur Photographer, which is a weekly UK mag. Unfortunately, I don't see it carried in my area anymore. It was cheaper than the other UK mags (about $6-$7 compared to $10-$12) but it also was much smaller. However, if you take their 4 issues for the month, there's more than just one monthly issue of the others. But, you end up spending a good $25. If I was asked what UK magazine I would like a subcription to as a gift, I would probably choose Amateur Photographer, simply due to the fact that I would have something photography related to check out in the mail every week. It's content is certainly not amateurish, despite it's title, with pro level articles, info, and high level photos. I've had a few pics published there in the past, but seemed to have misplaced the issues and can't remember the years/weeks they appeared in, and there's so many!

I can't stand Popular Photography, American Photo, and Peterson's Photographic. Terrible layout, content, and photo quality. Picture is one US magazine that when it first appeared, looked as though it would stand head and shoulders above the rest, quality wise. However, if you look at recent issues, the magazine seems to have severely been dimished in size and page count, and there's nothing to it anymore. It's so small I can skim through while at the bookstore and be done with it.