Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote

As for intelligence Gary, it's the dumbing down of America and started with Slik Willy.
I can't dispute this, we did vote for Bush twice. That proves we're dumb.

08-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #32
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
I can't dispute this, we did vote for Bush twice. That proves we're dumb.
Yeah we could have had algore or kerry. Bend over and kiss your a$$ goodbye with either of those 2 idiots.
08-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
It's true but not without faults in the logic there.

Can 5th graders name more ex-presidents than the average adult? Probably. Does that mean they're smarter? Not really, IMO it just means they're actively studying that subject at the time. Give those same kids 20 years before their next pop quiz and I can bet the scores will drop, if just a little

So in the example you cite, it doesn't mean those adults are any smarter than the "average goober on the street" - just means they studied it more recently. Just like most anything else, if you don't keep studying it, you'll eventually forget the details.

(note I'm not giving a blanket excuse here - not remembering a name or a date here or there is one thing, but people who went through 12 or more years of school and can't pick out Mexico or Canada on a map of the northern hemisphere - well that's kinda sad)
I never really said anything about 5th graders being smarter than a 35-40 year old. However, you would be surprised and how ignorant the average 21 year old is out there regarding basic knowledge.
08-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
No, that started in 1776.
That may be, but the average IQ tripled when we kicked hell out of the British and tossed them off the continent.

08-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
Can Beck or any of his minions prove it? Snopes gives the link that gets one to where Beck was in that video and there is no such TOS there. So, does that mean that Beck and his peons aren't bright enough to save the alleged pdf or take a screen cap of the alleged TOS?

It's kind of a put up or shut-up kind of thing if you ask me. But, Beck doesn't need facts to pump up his followers. Never has.

Regards,
Mike
Why are there missing PDFs this afternoon. I logged onto there site from work as I did Friday. The site has been changed. There are also pdfs missing. I didn't try to register a dealership though. That is the only part that anyone is going to register anything on the site. Granted, I was using FireFox and the Gov usually supports the M.S. monopoly.

Non the less, dealers are private entities. Even the Government Motor and Crappler dealers are private since they didn't get bailed out.
08-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
Can Beck or any of his minions prove it? Snopes gives the link that gets one to where Beck was in that video and there is no such TOS there. So, does that mean that Beck and his peons aren't bright enough to save the alleged pdf or take a screen cap of the alleged TOS?

It's kind of a put up or shut-up kind of thing if you ask me. But, Beck doesn't need facts to pump up his followers. Never has.

Regards,
Mike
Why are there missing PDFs this afternoon. I logged onto there site from work as I did Friday. The site has been changed. There are also pdfs missing. I didn't try to register a dealership though. That is the only part that anyone is going to register anything on the site. Granted, I was using FireFox and the Gov usually supports the M.S. monopoly.

Non the less, dealers are private entities. Even the Government Motor and Crappler dealers are private since they didn't get bailed out.

Edit: However, here is a good synopsis of the situation.

Cars.gov Terms of Service: What Glenn Beck Gets Right and Wrong | Electronic Frontier Foundation

QuoteQuote:
While this language was accessible only by registered dealers, and not the public (and has apparently now been removed), it nevertheless is a shocking example of the kind of problems that can come with click-through agreements written by faceless lawyers and basically imposed on the rest of us. No one should ever try to force you to "agree" that accessing a government website turns your computer into a government computer or gives up your privacy rights in the other contents of your computer.
This hopefully careless language demonstrates the concerns that EFF has long raised about the creeping reduction in user privacy and rights online that we see through various means, including terms of service, cookies and even the “phone home” nature of some of our devices like the Amazon Kindle. This sort of contracting away of our privacy and rights bad enough when companies do it — it should be off limits for government.
08-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #37
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That may be, but the average IQ tripled when we kicked hell out of the British and tossed them off the continent.
Ah well excuse me, I guess I live on a different part of the planet. Just shows the ignorance of the outside world. Canada is still part of the British commonwealth.

08-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Ah well excuse me, I guess I live on a different part of the planet. Just shows the ignorance of the outside world. Canada is still part of the British commonwealth.
The British Army had minimal presence following the War of 1812. While Canada was still owned by the British, until sometime later that is a moot point.

Edit: Quebec and the Acadians were never to keen on the English Crown to begin with.

Last edited by Blue; 08-03-2009 at 08:19 PM.
08-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #39
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
I can't believe nobody from outside the U.S. is calling B.S. on this ignorant statement. "They all" want to leave New Zealand and Australia and Western Europe to move here? Why, to enjoy our fat-ass, fast-food, celebrity-obsessed, excess lifestyle? Yeah, that makes sense, because people sure are starving in the Netherlands and have no health care in Germany. Sure, there are people in less developed countries who want to come here, but they'd be happy in other more-developed countries as well. Give me a break.
Why bother challenging that statement? Some just don't realize that life in a large number of countries is as good and possibly better than parts of the US. Immigration demands on any of the countries you listed is at the max levels every year including here. If we allowed double or triple the quota, we'd still have more than we could take. I heard our waiting list now exceeds 5 years now. I bet it's no different in most of Europe and 'down under'.
08-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Why bother challenging that statement? Some just don't realize that life in a large number of countries is as good and possibly better than parts of the US. Immigration demands on any of the countries you listed is at the max levels every year including here. If we allowed double or triple the quota, we'd still have more than we could take. I heard our waiting list now exceeds 5 years now. I bet it's no different in most of Europe and 'down under'.
We can dig a tunnel from Weslaco, Tx up to your border and you won't have to worry about bothersome paper work and legalities of immigration. Who cares about a little paper work.

Last edited by Blue; 08-03-2009 at 08:29 PM.
08-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #41
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The British Army had minimal presence following the War of 1812. While Canada was still owned by the British, until sometime later that is a moot point.
Where? What are you talking about? For one, Newfoundland was a British colony until 1949. The BNA act wasn't signed until 1867 and before that, Canada was governed by England. Canada was very closely linked to England until after WWII. The Queen is still the top of the government, and as recently as a year ago, the Queens representative had to decide whether the current government would have to fold and call a new national election. Our form of governement is British parliamentary style. The BNA Act didn't "come home" until 1982 when we created our first constitution and bill of rights. Even the money has the Queen on it. Sure a lot of that stuff is symbolic but our ties across the pond are still quite strong.
08-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Where? What are you talking about? For one, Newfoundland was a British colony until 1949. The BNA act wasn't signed until 1867 and before that, Canada was governed by England. Canada was very closely linked to England until after WWII. The Queen is still the top of the government, and as recently as a year ago, the Queens representative had to decide whether the current government would have to fold and call a new national election. Our form of governement is British parliamentary style. The BNA Act didn't "come home" until 1982 when we created our first constitution and bill of rights. Even the money has the Queen on it. Sure a lot of that stuff is symbolic but our ties across the pond are still quite strong.
Let it drop Peter. It semingly parted your hair. Think Red Coats and Black Watch and not Canadian troops loyal to the Crown. Besides, I am just giving some of you Canucks a little tit for tat because frankly, I get sick and tired of the pot shots and retorts form North of the border. I assure you I'm aware the Quain's picture is on the Canadian money etc. etc. etc.

Edit: Or to put it another way, I expect you to take up for the Maple Leaf. I wouldn't expect it any other way. However, think about that when you guys jump in helping some of our 21st Century World Citizens bashing our country. In the aforementioned era, they would be called Tories.
08-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #43
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

It's hot humid as hell and I'm cranky. But I think you have a lot more friends here than enemies. We've been good neighbours for a long time. The thing that is getting under our skins is the increased suspicion of us and so called terrorism threats from the north. Most recently this stupid thing.

Like get over it, the 911 guys never came from Canada. We're more interested in going to the beer store and that's about the limit of our energy. This paranoia has got to stop at some point. The government needs to make the country secure of course. How many middle eastern terrorists in parkas does Washington really think are here?

Last edited by Peter Zack; 08-03-2009 at 09:01 PM.
08-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #44
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteQuote:
However, think about that when you guys jump in helping some of our 21st Century World Citizens bashing our country. In the aforementioned era, they would be called Tories.
Actually up here the Tories are in power and they are more or less the same as the Republicans. They have always had a close link to Washington. Much more so than the Liberals (Grits). But as I said before, you won't find me or most of us trashing the US. I jump into these conversations because I can see things from the outside looking in. It's a very different perspective. Like someone said earlier, Bush blew it so badly right after 911. The entire world was on your side and it only took a few weeks to waste an opportunity that will never (thankfully) happen again. It would have been so much better to have the memories of those 3000+ victims to be remembered because the world became a closer and more peaceful place instead of the mess he left things in.

Another perspective is the heath care debate that's been going on for a few weeks. Looking at that most of us from the outside just can't believe the debate is this screwed up. Don't forget how many times our troops have stood with yours, Afghanistan, Vietnam (limited way), Korea, WWII and a number of other events. Remember the Iran US diplomats in 1980?
08-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #45
Site Supporter

It's hot humid as hell and I'm cranky. But I think you have a lot more friends here than enemies. We've been good neighbours for a long time. The thing that is getting under our skins is the increased suspicion of us and so called terroism threats from the north. Most recently this stupid thing.

Like get over it, the 911 guys never came from Canada. We're more interested in going to the beer store and that's about the limit of our energy. This paranoia has got to stop at some point. The governement needs to make the country sucure of course. How many middle eastern terrorsits in parkas does Washington really think are here?
Ironically, the Canadian border issue was brought up by the likes of Pelosi etc. in an argument to be equitable with southern border problems which was a diversion from the real issue. Very few U.S. citizens are concerned about the norther border. Biden didn't help much by running his mouth during the Pig Flu scare which is still a major thing with the plan to push vaccinations.