Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Help for a pentaxian in need

Hi everyone im in need of some help from someone in the US,
I ordered a Vivitar 383 flash a couple of weeks ago but it conked out after a few days =/ I emailed vivitar but none of my emails seem to be getting through so i was wondering if any one here from the US could ring up the company and ask i can ship the product back from Australia and get it replaced on warranty.
As far as i know it is a toll fee number so any help would be great =)
Oh and if you need a favor from someone down under then dont be shy

08-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #2

Original Poster
Oh thought i should probably put the number here =p

1800-592-9541
08-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I just called the number you provided. A man by the name of Austin (I doubt it was his real name. He has a very strong non-American accent) answered the phone. He told me that he was located in New Jersey but I doubt it (it was about 9:00 pm in New Jersey).

He told me that his company had just bought the Vivitar name, and insisted on having me describe the exact problem with the flash so he could "tranfer the call to appropriate department." I asked for his email address, he told me support@vivitar.com. I asked him if any one monitoring email messages going to support@vivitar.com, he said he didn't know; that responsibility belonged to a different department. He also said that his company did not have any office in Australia.

I spent 11 minutes on the phone without being able to extract any useful info. The only thing I got was the corporate phone number: 732-248-1306 if you feel like calling them.

I personally think Vivitar is doomed!
08-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

Vivitar was bought by Sakar, right? And Sakar makes "cheap" accessories that usually end up in the pseudo-"deals" camera sellers try to push - like, adding useless lens cleaners, flexible tripods, tele- and wide- converters of awful quality (the ones that screw on top of the lens), etc etc. And now that sells under Vivitar brand name.
Anyways, the last flash they *might* still support is Vivitar 285HV. If that's not supported anymore, you can be pretty sure nothing from "real" vivitar is.

08-04-2009, 02:22 AM   #5

Original Poster
Sigh,
well thanks heaps Soldbear, might just open her up and have a tinker. If that doesnt work out i guess theres a faulty flash up for grabs if anyone wants to pay the shipping =)
08-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #6
pbo
Veteran Member

Be careful with opening. They say, if you don't know what you're doing, you might get electrocuted
They do seem serious...
08-04-2009, 04:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Flashes contain capacitor, which can deliver a surprising amount of power for their size, and can also blow up if you hook them up with the wrong polarity. Be very careful about what you are doing.
08-04-2009, 05:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Flashes contain capacitor, which can deliver a surprising amount of power for their size, and can also blow up if you hook them up with the wrong polarity. Be very careful about what you are doing.
Wow, that's nuts! Is using flash in the rain a hazard? I wouldn't want to get electrocuted now

08-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
good point. flashes actually contain some pretty high power capacitors. make sure the batteries are removed, and that there is no power left in the capacitor. (let it sit for several hours at least) I touched the capacitor for the flash on one of those disposable film cameras once.... jesus did that hurt. I couldn't imagine getting shocked by a capacitor probably twice its size or more. be careful my friend.
08-04-2009, 07:13 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Yeah, I got shocked by a disposable camera's flash as well.

Ended up with two second-degree burns about half an inch apart on my thumb.

Try shorting it out with a screwdriver if you want it to discharge quickly.
08-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Useless Vivitar Support

Think twice before buying any product from Vivitar....

Yesterday I sent a message to support@vivitar.com about this thread. Here's what I got from the mail server:

-----Original Message-----
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem [mailto:mailer-daemon@googlemail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 7:24 PM
To: ....
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Delay)

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipient has been delayed:

support@vivitar.com

Message will be retried for 2 more day(s)

Technical details of temporary failure:
The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more at 'The recipient server did not accept our requests...' - Gmail Help
[208.252.49.131. (0): Connection refused]

----- Message header follows -----

Received: by 10.140.165.21 with SMTP id n21mr4337590rve.237.1249347173527;
Mon, 03 Aug 2009 17:52:53 -0700 (PDT)
08-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Vivitar was bought by Sakar, right? And Sakar makes "cheap" accessories that usually end up in the pseudo-"deals" camera sellers try to push - like, adding useless lens cleaners, flexible tripods, tele- and wide- converters of awful quality (the ones that screw on top of the lens), etc etc. And now that sells under Vivitar brand name.
I believe their company motto is "There's a Sakar born every minute."

Chris