Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Trans Siberian Orchestra 2009 who's going?

Trans Siberian Orchestra just announced their 2009 North American tour. Check them out here and turn up your audio:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Official Site

http://sos2147-1-wm.edgestreams.net/trans-siberian_orchestra/new_03/.uid.McQ...srzp&aifp=0001

We are going to the November 22nd evening show in Hershey, Pa. Too bad they only allow cell phone cameras. Regardless, if you like their type of music it is fun for all ages.

Last edited by Bokehboy; 08-04-2009 at 11:10 AM.
08-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you ever been before? I got suckered in once. We managed to escape when they went from their "Christmas Music" to their "gee aren't you too old to rock grandpa" music. People were clinging to my legs, begging to be rescued, as I made my way out. It was worse than the last helicopter out of Vietnam.

The tickets were incredibly expensive, but to be out of the place and away from it, I would have paid more.

Thank you
Russell
08-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Have you ever been before? I got suckered in once. We managed to escape when they went from their "Christmas Music" to their "gee aren't you too old to rock grandpa" music. People were clinging to my legs, begging to be rescued, as I made my way out. It was worse than the last helicopter out of Vietnam.

The tickets were incredibly expensive, but to be out of the place and away from it, I would have paid more.

Thank you
Russell

This will be my second time. Sorry you did not like it. I find it hard to believe your statement about people trying to get out. They sell out in record time and the only time I saw people leaving was after the show was over. Perhaps you just don't like their style, the type of music, or Christmas in general.

In this day and age I do not feel sorry for anyone that doesn't check a group out on the internet before plunking down money to go to their show.
08-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Will the real TSO please stand up? If you look at the tour dates, you will note they are playing in two widely seperated cities on each date.

Weird!

08-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I have gone to every annual TSO show since they began touring. It is one of the biggest if not best productions you will ever hear and see. Big rock band (nucleus is founding members of the band Savatage) with usually 8 piece local string sections arranged in the cities on their tours. The company features 10 Broadway performers along with the band. Lasers, Varilites, 300 or or so PAR lamps, more lights, more pyro-technics (best in the world, Pyrotek) than you have ever seen--take some sunscreen and oh, yes, they make it snow in the venue and a whole bunch of other stuff. World class audio, usually by dB Sound whose other client is Rolling Stones, among others, so it's world class too. It's not an easy listening sing-a-long caroling event, rather one that gets your attention from beginning to end and features great musicians and quite a nice story throughout that is Christmas oriented.

There are two touring companies, one that plays east of the Mississippi and one west of the Mississippi, thus dates when the show is in two different places same night; that's not a typo or trick. The original "band" historically has taken the western shows. This allows the show to go to many cities in a short seasonal time. Go to the website and register so that you can buy seats the first day they are offered. Reasonably priced tickets as, here in Las Vegas, the ticket prices are in the $40.00 to $80.00 range usually. A bargain for a concert production of this magnitude.

This is a show where a camera might be fun, but honestly, there is too much going on to spoil your enjoyment of the production to be worrying about taking pictures; I leave my cell phone in the car at events like this.
08-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bokehboy Quote
This will be my second time. Sorry you did not like it. I find it hard to believe your statement about people trying to get out. They sell out in record time and the only time I saw people leaving was after the show was over. Perhaps you just don't like their style, the type of music, or Christmas in general.

In this day and age I do not feel sorry for anyone that doesn't check a group out on the internet before plunking down money to go to their show.
I do like DeathTongue so you would think I would like this too. In this day and age, I feel sorry for anyone that has less hearing left than I do.

Thank you
Russell
08-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I do like DeathTongue so you would think I would like this too. In this day and age, I feel sorry for anyone that has less hearing left than I do.

Thank you
Russell
Sorry I was a bit boorish in responding to your post. I agree about the hearing too. Three years in an Attack Helicopter unit and a year in the Field Artillery as a cannon cocker have taken their toll on my hearing. Add in my love of loud firearms and loud music we then have some pretty intense tinnitus.

QuoteOriginally posted by Prairie Dog Quote
I have gone to every annual TSO show since they began touring. It is one of the biggest if not best productions you will ever hear and see. Big rock band (nucleus is founding members of the band Savatage) with usually 8 piece local string sections arranged in the cities on their tours. The company features 10 Broadway performers along with the band. Lasers, Varilites, 300 or or so PAR lamps, more lights, more pyro-technics (best in the world, Pyrotek) than you have ever seen--take some sunscreen and oh, yes, they make it snow in the venue and a whole bunch of other stuff. World class audio, usually by dB Sound whose other client is Rolling Stones, among others, so it's world class too. It's not an easy listening sing-a-long caroling event, rather one that gets your attention from beginning to end and features great musicians and quite a nice story throughout that is Christmas oriented.

There are two touring companies, one that plays east of the Mississippi and one west of the Mississippi, thus dates when the show is in two different places same night; that's not a typo or trick. The original "band" historically has taken the western shows. This allows the show to go to many cities in a short seasonal time. Go to the website and register so that you can buy seats the first day they are offered. Reasonably priced tickets as, here in Las Vegas, the ticket prices are in the $40.00 to $80.00 range usually. A bargain for a concert production of this magnitude.

This is a show where a camera might be fun, but honestly, there is too much going on to spoil your enjoyment of the production to be worrying about taking pictures; I leave my cell phone in the car at events like this.

So true about taking a camera. You are right about this being a huge band too. They split into the East/West groups to do the tour but all of them participate in the studio productions. Both of the groups are outstanding and the off season work together shows in the consistancy between the groups.

08-05-2009, 03:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My wife and I saw the show last year at the Verizon Center in DC. We both enjoyed it, but it would have been nice to turn the volume down a couple of notches. Looks like they will be in DC this year on 9 December. My company has a suite in the Verizon Center (12 regular seats + 4 stools at the bar) and we draw names for free tickets.
08-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #9

Loved them in 2007 - considering going again this year - how much new material do they have this year ?

Rules concerning cameras seem to be set by the venue or promoter, not the act. At the Ottawa show they wouldn't allow SLR's (or any 'pro' looking cameras, but compacts and bridge cameras were OK.

I went out and bought a Pentax Optio the day before the concert. We were only 6 rows from centre stage, so it served the purpose... Here's a few snaps...:

08-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a big TSO fan but have never seen the concert. I work evenings sun-thurs, 3 to midnight and one again they roll into Albany on a sunday. My vacation days are already scheduled. I'm bummed!
08-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
Inactive Account

They were here in Cape Girardeau 2 years ago. I had never heard of them, but went out and bought their CD and watched the videos. Very awesome! I was planning to last hear and then they didn't come to this area. Guess I'll have to look at the tour dates for this year.

Nope, only to St. Louis and Kansas City.

Last edited by Wildnsyko; 08-10-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Looked up the dates.
08-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Classvino Quote

is that Alex Skolnick Testament's?
08-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Classvino Quote
Loved them in 2007 - considering going again this year - how much new material do they have this year ?

Rules concerning cameras seem to be set by the venue or promoter, not the act. At the Ottawa show they wouldn't allow SLR's (or any 'pro' looking cameras, but compacts and bridge cameras were OK.

I went out and bought a Pentax Optio the day before the concert. We were only 6 rows from centre stage, so it served the purpose... Here's a few snaps...:

Last year they did a few songs from their Beethoven's Last Night album that is out there now and from the upcoming Night Castle album. If you do not have Beethoven's Last Night I suggest you check it out at Amazon.com or I can send you a copy. PM me if you are interested.

I understand an announcement on the Night Castle album is to be forthcoming very soon. Scuttlebutt says the album will be out in October. Also you never know what new Christmas songs they will be doing.

BTW, I don't know if Jen Cella will be with them this year. She took last year off to have a baby. They will probably announce her status soon.