Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #31

Mel,

I don't know, but some items just showed up on craigslist today. You may want to look at these & if they are yours, at least report them to the police.

Pentax SMC Takumar 135mm f/3.5, M42 Screwmount
Pentax SMC Takumar 35mm f/3.5, M42 Screwmount
Pentax Spotmatic SP-F SLR, M42 Screwmount

The pics are for reference, you may want to ask for a photo of the actual if there are any identifiable characteristics.

08-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear your story Mel! I would be totally pissed off and depressed. Hope you will come over your loss quickly, albeit just for the sake of your twins. Good luck!
08-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hang in there Mel, these mongrel dogs will get theirs one day. Karma.

Its easy for me to say, but dont let it get to you, jump the insurance hoops & hurdles and keep your chin up. Tomorrow will be better....and most importantly, enjoy your holiday.

BUT, thanks for sharing your story, I know it has served as a timely reminder to me to be even more careful on the road. Very cunning way to hit too.....watching you load your vehicle! hmmmm!

Cheers.
Grant
08-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having had the experience . . . .

Man, does that REALLY suck . Puts my little life problems in a little perspective. I expect you will recover most of the value from your insurance.

FWIW (too late now), having had a similar experience, I always load everything on one of those Concierge carts, bring the car to the door and transfer it to the car all at once. That gets really fun with a roof-top carier.

Once in a while a patron will ask why I'm taking up space near the door. Once I explain they agree.

08-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That absolutely bites, Mel. I'm sorry for what happened. The good thing IMO is that you didn't stumble upon the thieves in the act. You just never know what people will do, I'm just glad no one was (physically) hurt.

I've got a vacation coming up myself, first real vacation in about 9 years. It's certainly something I'll keep in mind. Hope you and your family feel better when you get the little things together again (toothbrushes and stuff) and I sincerely hope you all still have a little fun with the time you've got left.
08-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Aww, Mel, that's terrible. And my sweetie thinks I'm paranoid about leaving it all in one place. My stuff might not make any thieves very happy, but it could sure make me miserable to lose what took so long and so much to gather.

Same with the Takumars, btw. Might not be the worst idea to check a few pawnshops, yourself.
08-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #37
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you so much for all the kind words everyone. The insurance process is underway and we heard from an adjuster for the hotel so there may be some compensation that way.

Now for the shame on me part. I didn't even think to keep the serial numbers of these old lenses. My new da and da* and two cameras, yes I do, but since these didn't cost so much to acquire individually it really didn't occur to me. I never dreamed I'd lose so much in one instant. I've learned a hard lesson myself.

A police report was filed but the officer we worked with said to not count on recovering anything. He said they deal with so many breakins and very rarely do they see anything recovered. Which sucks. But its they way it is. I'm feeling better about things and coming to terms with it. It almost would have been easier if it was the newer more expensive stuff because I DO have all the receipts and numbers for that.

Things are looking better. I think the kids had some fun. I've been able to get my little guys geared up again and the highlight of the day was getting them new nike sandals to replace the ones that were stolen. Now I just need to find a University of Oregon zip up hoodie. They were also excited to get a duffle to put their stuff in so they don't have to keep it all in plastic shopping bags. It still makes me angry though to think that our clothing and such is probably in a ditch, empty lot, or dumpster somewhere, what's precious to us is just trash to them. And the favorite hoodie too.

As for my helios, if anyone in New Jersey sees one in a pawn shop, it's a Helios 44M-6, doctored for the rear pin permanently pushed in to make the aperture work.

Thanks again everyone. The responses are overwhelming and too numerous to answer individually. I really appreciate the kindness and support this forum provides. (sniff).

08-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maritimer Quote
the work of cowards.
Exactly. And selfish in the extreme too.

That's a bummer Mel. Imagine this world if there was no crime, wouldn't it just be fandiddlytastic?
08-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Wow Mel......I'm just now reading this. This whole thing really sucks. Hopefully the insurance will get everything sorted out and you'll be able to recoup your losses.

What's amazing to me is that in the midst of everything that was going on, you took the time to answer a question I had via PM.

I've always felt that you were "real" and one of the more genuine people I've 'met' online. The fact that you replied to me with all that's going on with you and your family really says a lot about the kind of person you are. keep in mind that this is just a minor setback for you. I have a feeling you're a survivor and that good things will come your way.
08-11-2009, 01:35 AM   #40
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well golly gee Alan. Thank you. I'm feeling better about things. I'm worried about the outlay of $$$ trying to get ourselves going again on this trip as it's totallyblown any hope of a budget we had (the entire trip was on points from hubby's work travel except food and gas) but with hopefully we'll recoup most of it.

And yeah no crime would be awesome. But then I'd feel badly for our fine police officers. They'd probably get bored.

Maybe this was a sign that I needed to streamline my gear?
08-11-2009, 04:30 AM   #41
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Found a serial number for the above mentioned Helios on my flickr of all places!!!

this is the Helios mentioned above for you all in NYC and NJ:
08-11-2009, 05:53 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Bummer. Sorry to hear what you went through.
Hope you can move on and get to enjoy the rest of your holiday with your family.
08-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Mel,

Has your insurance company said anything yet about how they are going to handle your TAKs and the Helios? Being "old" it may be hard to get fair payment for them. Which ones did you lose?

Mike
08-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #44
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We really can't deal much with the insurance until we get home. They're going to send us forms to fill out and list everything (like I can even remember every tiny little accessory i had in those bags) and i don't know how it works from there. If they ask value I'll look at the used depts of Adorama and B&H and use their prices as a reference as those are probably the highest you'd pay (and would compensate a little for the hours of patience on my part waiting and hunting for good deals). But really I have no idea how it'll be handled. I'll have to wait and see.

I lost the Helios, Tak 200/3.5 preset, 55/1.8, 35/3.5 cosina 28/2.8 (found my 135 - it was still in room with my K1000), 2-m42 tcs - 2x and 3x, gorilla pod, both battery chargers, filters, m42-k adaptor, reversing adaptors (2, 49mm and 52mm) lens to lens coupler (49mm to 49mm), card readers, a flash (the 220 fortunately and not the 360), flash bracket, sync cord, all kinds of other little doodads and junk and stuff. i keep thinking that there was one more lens but i can't remember which one it was.

It's really hard to remember all the junk and crap one throws into one's bags. this was the C4 bag (catch-all clutter containment center).
08-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #45
Veteran Member

HI Mel
Are you looking to replace the Taks now or are you planning on waiting for the check from the insurance company? I have the Tak 200 but its the F4 version and believe I still have a spare 55 if you are intrested fire off an pm to me