Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #46
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
i'm definitely looking to replace the 200 and the helios, whenever I can get a deal. But I'm going to hold off for the 3.5 preset version. I loved that lens. Fabulous iq on that puppy. For the rest, it'll be a wait and see thing for now. I'm actually still on vacation and don't really want to deal with any of it until I get back. Also, I just found out that the insurance has a $500 deductable so I'll be limited on what I can replace anyway.

Oh and I also definitely want to replace my takumar extension tubes as well. I used those things a LOT. Any leads on getting my hands on a set of those would be swell.

thanks everyone.

08-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For the M-42's? I might have a spare set (Pentax) for you.
08-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #48
Inactive Account

Mel,
I am to sorry to hear of this happening to you. I was robbed while in the Army by a family member! I despise thieves! I have a screw mount 135mm Vivitar with adapter you can have if you want it. An oldy and inexpensive but a goodie! Let me know if there is anything you or the little guys need.

Our youngster is raised and the clothes long gone or I would be sending you some. As a parent and a soldier I get doubly ticked off when some lowlife does this to the children.

Let me know if I can help.

Blessings,
Eric
08-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #49
Veteran Member

For anyone who cares to or is able to help, I've started a "Lets Help Mel Replace her Stolen TAKs" drive. Adam approved this and is willing to process donations thru the Forum donation system. Please check out the thread and lets make this a little less painful for her and her family.

Mike

08-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Per Mike's request, I was more than happy to make it a Sticky...

Regards,
Marc
08-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #51
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dang it you guys now I'm getting all teary and choked up. I just needed to vent is all, to people who would understand how it feels to lose these sillly chunks of metal and glass that we all become so attached to. We're all fine, we've gotten clothes and stuff to wear until we get back home (thank goodness for places like WalMart and Target is all I have to say). Summer clothing is on clearance right now lol.

Eric - I agree. I'm sickened by my loss but doubly so that they did this to my kids. It had to be obvious that at least one of the bags was a young child's bag. I doubt an adult would keep a dollar bill and some coins sitting visibly in an outside pocket. He did some extra chores for that dollar. It also sickens me to think that their things were probably just deemed trash by the thieves and treated accordingly (not to mention the library book that was taken that I'll probably have to pay for. It was from my work so we'll see what happens with that).

Gosh you guys. Sniff. Thanks.
08-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #52
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Hey Mel, I think Mike's offer to help is great and what's even better is the story that you can now tell your kids. There are a few bad people out there but there are a lot more that are better and willing to help a friend out in need. I've PM'd Mike my support and hope lots of others will too.

08-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #53
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
. . .

Oh and I also definitely want to replace my takumar extension tubes as well. I used those things a LOT. Any leads on getting my hands on a set of those would be swell.

thanks everyone.
Would you rather have the tubes or a bellows?
08-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #54
Veteran Member

You may have some recourse through/with the hotel chain. I believe that you said that this took place in an enclosed parking lot. These areas usually have some disclaimer sign posted, but I'm not sure that it relieves them of any responsibility. In NYC the parking garages all have such signs posted, but my understanding is that they do have some level of responsibility. If you are dealing with a national chain, it might be worth a pass at them. Touch base with a lawyer friend first, but don't wait too long if you decide to do anything.
08-17-2009, 05:06 AM   #55
Adorama Camera Representative

Message from Helen, Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

We really can't deal much with the insurance until we get home. They're going to send us forms to fill out and list everything (like I can even remember every tiny little accessory i had in those bags) and i don't know how it works from there. If they ask value I'll look at the used depts of Adorama and B&H and use their prices as a reference as those are probably the highest you'd pay (and would compensate a little for the hours of patience on my part waiting and hunting for good deals). But really I have no idea how it'll be handled. I'll have to wait and see.

I lost the Helios, Tak 200/3.5 preset, 55/1.8, 35/3.5 cosina 28/2.8 (found my 135 - it was still in room with my K1000), 2-m42 tcs - 2x and 3x, gorilla pod, both battery chargers, filters, m42-k adaptor, reversing adaptors (2, 49mm and 52mm) lens to lens coupler (49mm to 49mm), card readers, a flash (the 220 fortunately and not the 360), flash bracket, sync cord, all kinds of other little doodads and junk and stuff. i keep thinking that there was one more lens but i can't remember which one it was.
I don't know how useful this is, but last year Adorama reported on a site called "I found your camera", that posted photos from found cameras and media cards in the hopes that the owners would reclaim them.

More recently, we came across another site called "I Want My Camera Back", a European-based stolen and lost photo equipment database. Owners of lost gear worldwide can list their lost equipment brand, model, serial number and equipment type, plus any other relevant details and it will be added into the database. The database can be searched by serial number.

For details, read the I Want My Camera Back press release:

Lost photo equipment? Report it here!

Iwantmycameraback.com is a photographic equipment serial number collective base for items which have been declared stolen or lost. The website through a specifically formulated process allows photographers to declare all details about their lost equipment, such as the brand, the model, the serial number and also information which concerns the place, the time of loss and finally an email address for further contact.

Photographic supply shops, service centers, prospective buyers and whoever else wishes to, can, by using the search engine provided by this website, search through equipment serial numbers to find out if it has been declared lost or stolen.

Also it it possible to contact the owner who declared the loss, in order for him to be given the necessary information as in how to retrieve the equipment. The website I want my camera back! - Home aspires to become a universal database for lost and stolen equipment and to increase the percentage of retrievals.

In other words, it will no longer be necessary to inform every service center, photographic supply shop or photographer independently in case of loss. They will be informed through the upload of the information on the website.

In addition, due to the universal nature of this service it will be possible to immediately and directly inform all service centers, photographic supply shops and photographers in all countries.

The function of the website depends on the universal community of photographers and is of a non-profitable nature.

We invite all concerned individuals, amateur or professional, all forms of the printed media, unions and organizations and every person connected in any way with photography to support our effort and to actively participate in the search process.

© 2008 Adorama

I hope this might help somebody.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera
08-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Very cool, Helen.

And, I suppose Peter brings up an important point: if that hotel actually has video surveillance, the people most likely to have known when and how to rip off your gear are inside, where the monitors are.

They ought to have at least seen what happened.
08-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #57
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was a new hotel and there was no video surveillance yet. There is police patrol at night but nothing during the day, except for the security people that hang out in this one area between the two hotels that share the parking lot. They should have been within view of our vehicle but were apparently oblivious. Or they're sufficiently local that they turn their backs to the locals looking to supplement their incomes. This was between 9 and 9:30 am.

We just heard from the hotel and basically all they'll do is back up our claim to the insurance company. The insurance company wants receipts and proof of ownership of the items. Who saves receipts for every little thing they own? Please. All my clothes were stolen. Do I have receipts for every pair of socks? This all cost money to replace. We basically blew our entire vacation budget trying to get clothing for the three of us that were suddenly with only what we were wearing.

And I won't even go into the inconvenience and headache of it all. And you other girls I'm sure will relate to the royal pain it is trying to purchase a bathing suit. Mine was stolen with my clothing bag. Ugh. Do I even want to try to shop for another one? lol
08-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #58
Banned

I actually keep copies of all the invoices I get by email from paypal and ebay for all the lenses I have purchased, as well as the paper invoices that get shipped with the lens.

I really do feel bad for you and your family mel and am very sorry about all of your losses. I have some really expensive Takumars and would be devastated if they were stolen. I cant really relate to the bathing suit thing though...
08-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #59
Veteran Member

We just heard from the hotel and basically all they'll do is back up our claim to the insurance company. The insurance company wants receipts and proof of ownership of the items. Who saves receipts for every little thing they own? Please. All my clothes were stolen. Do I have receipts for every pair of socks? This all cost money to replace. We basically blew our entire vacation budget trying to get clothing for the three of us that were suddenly with only what we were wearing.

And I won't even go into the inconvenience and headache of it all. And you other girls I'm sure will relate to the royal pain it is trying to purchase a bathing suit. Mine was stolen with my clothing bag. Ugh. Do I even want to try to shop for another one? lol
Hoof. *That* would be cause to take some risks about confronting the larcenous. Even my dearest glass could be replaced, but without a minute to think, I'd prefer combat to trying to figure out swimsuits in some darn Wal-mart.

Guess in part, I'm not awfully used to having things I can afford to lose in the first place, of course. A lot of stuff I have on me most of the time might be 'Just a grand' to most, but probably represents four years of concerted effort to me. Wouldn't leave it hanging in the first place. My travelling kit is a big camera bag usually more than half full of stuff I don't want out of my sight. Just how it is. I don't generally travel with more than I can run with, to the extent I can run. If there's ancillary luggage, I never put anything in it I can't ditch. Got tired, early in life, of losing stuff.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 08-17-2009 at 03:23 PM.
08-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #60
Site Supporter

Mel,

If you have pics of any of your gear, especially with ser #, provide that to the insurance company.