Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
feeling bad and need to whine

I'm just feeling sorry for myself. I know others have worse problems but still. I need to whine just a little. We're on vacation. The first morning away, in between trips taking stuff to the car from the room (didn't leave anything in the car overnight), we were robbed. The lock was popped with what looked like a screwdriver, not even setting off the alarm system, my laptop bag with my brand new laptop and all the stuff in it, a camera bag with all my takumars and other lenses and camera accessories, all my clothes, and the bags with clothes for two of my kids were stolen. I am so very grateful I still had my cameras and my da lenses on my person but I'm still devasted by the loss of the other stuff, not to mention the sense of violation thinking about someone rifling through my personal belongings then most likely dumping it in the trash (clothes). My poor little guys (my 9 year old twins are the ones whose stuff was taken) were devasted and how do I explain this to them? Especially when I'm still reeling. The three of us were basically left with what we were wearing and holding.

Great start to a vacation huh. We haven't taken one as a family in 5 years and this is what happens. Thanks for letting me complain a bit.

08-10-2009, 02:14 AM   #2

That totally sucks, especially for your kids... I hate theives! Hope you are able enjoy some of your vacation.
08-10-2009, 02:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm really sorry for you, Mel.

Having been robed once, I know what you're going through. I hope your insurance will cover your loss, but it can't do anything for the feelings. Hang on tight.
08-10-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very sorry for your losses - sentimental as they all are to you.
I too feel for you, having gone through those feelings of being violated by thieves on numerous occasions. Guess we should never leave anything to chance nowadays - we can be easy targets when we let down our guards.

I hope you recover well from this - but if there's any word I can give you, it's do your best not to dwell on the loss - all of those things can be replaced, but neither you nor your kids can be...

08-10-2009, 02:46 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I'm sorry to hear this , hope your insurance will cover the material things you lost.
08-10-2009, 03:12 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a Big Hug, Mel. I hope it helps.
08-10-2009, 03:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear this Mel, and I know exactly how you feel. I got robbed in Atlanta years ago and same scenario -- car broken into between trips inside the hotel.

08-10-2009, 05:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Damn Mel... That SUCKS!

And, not that this evers happens at a good time but, better at the beginning of the trip before you've loaded all of your priceless photos onto the stolen laptop than toward the end when they are all on the hard drive and you've re-used all of your SD cards several times. I hope you've gotten with your insurance company and they didnt hassle you about replacing necessities. Good to hear they didn't get the K7 or the new lenses. Real shame about your Taks though. I know those were your babies and you have to be hurting real bad. Tough on the kids too. 9 is too young to have that happen to you.

Where were you when this happened?

Mike
08-10-2009, 06:24 AM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Damn Mel... That SUCKS!

And, not that this evers happens at a good time but, better at the beginning of the trip before you've loaded all of your priceless photos onto the stolen laptop than toward the end when they are all on the hard drive and you've re-used all of your SD cards several times. I hope you've gotten with your insurance company and they didnt hassle you about replacing necessities. Good to hear they didn't get the K7 or the new lenses. Real shame about your Taks though. I know those were your babies and you have to be hurting real bad. Tough on the kids too. 9 is too young to have that happen to you.

Where were you when this happened?

Mike
This was in New Jersey, in a gated locked parking lot of a Marriott hotel of all places. We were between trips to the car. I did have some photos loaded on the laptop but fortuntately I didn't clear off my cards yet. And yes my babies. And my Helios too. I use that lens a LOT. I soooo loved that lens.

Its frustrating. I keep reviewing in my mind what was in that camera bag and while no one thing was very expensive, it all adds up, all the little things like adaptor rings and such. $20 here, another there. In that one bag I had two other bags organized into "kits", one for macro work and one for long telephoto (my tak 200 and teleconverters and such). Even stuff like card readers, added into the whole pot of stuff. My battery chargers were in there too, the gorilla pod I just got at blackwater from dadipentak, the crumpler bag from last year's gathering, sheesh, just the bags alone was probably a good $170 retail.

And then the clothes. It was pretty much the bulk of my summer wardrobe, which isn't much but it was all there was. It's really disturbing to think that someone was rifling through my personals then dumping it all. And one of my poor boys, his favorite hoodie. Gone. We weren't even left with our toothbrushes.

Insurance is such that you have to fill out forms and stuff so we're having to buy essentials at our own cost for now. It kind of ticks me off that we're left here with no clothing and can't even get help for that.

Thanks for the sympathy everyone. I'm glad the K-7 takes AAs in the grip since I can't get a charger for it. I hope I at least come away from this with some decent shots. I think I got some the day before of NYC, statue of liberty and Ellis Is.
08-10-2009, 06:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Talk to the local police; somebody probably "works" that lot and they may know where the stuff is likely to turn up.
It's a terrible feeling. Hope that you can enjoy the rest of your trip.
08-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

that sucks, hope it works out in the end, somehow.
08-10-2009, 07:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

That really does suck Mel. Tough on the kids but as Ash says, good thing you were back in the room and no one was hurt. If the property is so secure, they must have a camera or 2 watching the lot. Hopefully they will have a security tape.

But these can all be replaced and I hope the rest of your trip is much more fun.
08-10-2009, 07:13 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That stinks, Mel - the good news is that everyone's safe.

Jer
08-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #14

Very sorry to hear that your vacation has started off on such a sour note Mel. Hope you guys can salvage it though and enjoy your time together.
08-10-2009, 07:30 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Thievery... right up there with child molestation and wife beating in my books: the work of cowards.

Really sorry to hear this, man. It's a shame some people feel they have to wreck other people's lives in order to enhance their own. Be nice if they got nailed for it...

QuoteQuote:
the good news is that everyone's safe.
Yes, the only thing that really matters... Nobody was hurt.