Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
True. I've built a couple of race engines for one of my cars. The high compression engines seem to not last as long though. And they are more expensive if done right. You can also change the stroke too. Old engines before emissions crap were a lot higher compression. But you had lead to boost octane.
You could always run it on propane and not "dog" it and it may last longer.

08-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #32
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You could always run it on propane and not "dog" it and it may last longer.
Don't have any of it anymore. Got rid of all before I met my wife. Street legal and a sleeper. And it would pull the front end off without nitrous
08-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Methanol is corrosive and burns much hotter than straight gasoline. Older engines don't like it as it causes the valves to burn. It is an improvement over the old stuff they were putting in the gas a couple of years ago but took they it off the market because they discovered it was as hazardous as lead (MBTE). That stuff was melting pistons in air cooled engines.

The new Ultra low sulphur diesel they came out with a couple of years ago is causing problems also. It is slowly destroying fuel hoses in trucks. I have service bulletins which are now recommending that fuel lines and hoses be changed every 10K hours as routine maintanence. It also gels at a warmer temperature untreated (20 deg F) where regular diesel was good to 10 deg F. I suppose I should bitch but for me its job security. I had more overtime last winter than in the previous 2 years combined.
08-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Methanol is corrosive and burns much hotter than straight gasoline. Older engines don't like it as it causes the valves to burn. It is an improvement over the old stuff they were putting in the gas a couple of years ago but took they it off the market because they discovered it was as hazardous as lead (MBTE). That stuff was melting pistons in air cooled engines.

The new Ultra low sulphur diesel they came out with a couple of years ago is causing problems also. It is slowly destroying fuel hoses in trucks. I have service bulletins which are now recommending that fuel lines and hoses be changed every 10K hours as routine maintanence. It also gels at a warmer temperature untreated (20 deg F) where regular diesel was good to 10 deg F. I suppose I should bitch but for me its job security. I had more overtime last winter than in the previous 2 years combined.
The Brazilians learned about methanol which is why they switched to ethanol.

08-15-2009, 12:47 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I feed my car ethanol once and it didnt like it so I decline to ever feed ethanol again.Mind you dual fuel is good when you have the option of LPG/Petrol

cheers
08-15-2009, 03:26 AM   #36
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
His first fuel was just vegetable oil. Anyone have an Wesson?

Cost was a prohibiting factor. Now with "Greasecar" you can run spent vegetable oil in regular diesels.
I can't remember what their name was, or who they were fighting for or against, but there was some militia group up in PNG that ran their trucks off coconut oil when they ran out of diesel (and the supply lines were cut.)

There were a few people round here, though, that have been running vehicles off spent cooking oil, which is a much more logical solution. Sure, you had to filter it, and heat it to lower its viscosity by starting the vehicle on normal diesel and using the radiator to heat the oil, but it worked.

Considering the amount of deep-frying that goes on these days, I'd surely consider it. Plus most fish chip shops'll pay you to take the stuff away.
08-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
I feed my car ethanol once and it didnt like it so I decline to ever feed ethanol again.Mind you dual fuel is good when you have the option of LPG/Petrol

cheers
No duel fuel system is perfect for both fuels however. LPG performs better with higher compression ratios like alcohol does. However, with LPG, the engine oil lasts longer as does the engine because LPG and CNG do not faul the oil and engine like gasoline and alcohol do.