Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
graphicgr8s

Les Paul

Legendary Les Paul dead at 94

08-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Heard that on NPR tonight while driving home. Another icon and legend passes on.

But what struck me even more than his passing was that he only was inducted to the hall of fame 6 years ago. WTH - how did he get overlooked until he was 89?
08-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Heard that on NPR tonight while driving home. Another icon and legend passes on.

But what struck me even more than his passing was that he only was inducted to the hall of fame 6 years ago. WTH - how did he get overlooked until he was 89?
All I can say is that the Hall of Fame moves in mysterious ways. Without Les Paul, a lot of "Guitar heroes" would not exist.
08-14-2009, 01:33 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Or without Leo Fender .

What he created simply expanded music in directions unheard of, and indeed, impossible, before. Whole genres; what Niépce did for visuals arts, you might say, Les Paul did for music.

08-14-2009, 02:22 AM   #5
Inactive Account

But do you know what's spooky?

Today is the birthday of Hans Christian Ørsted, the Danish scientist who discovered that electric currents can induce magnetic fields...
08-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
But do you know what's spooky?

Today is the birthday of Hans Christian Ørsted, the Danish scientist who discovered that electric currents can induce magnetic fields...
& inspiration for the infamous pre-production Orsted double cutaway sunburst acoustic magnetic projection system blueprints rumored to have been destroyed by Richard Nixon after the failure of it's implementation on his "accidentally erased" Heavy Metal Romanian Folk Ballad/Spoken Word experimentations recorded between his Vice Presidential & Presidential stints.
08-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
& inspiration for the infamous pre-production Orsted double cutaway sunburst acoustic magnetic projection system blueprints rumored to have been destroyed by Richard Nixon after the failure of it's implementation on his "accidentally erased" Heavy Metal Romanian Folk Ballad/Spoken Word experimentations recorded between his Vice Presidential & Presidential stints.
Do you have a copy?

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Or without Leo Fender .

What he created simply expanded music in directions unheard of, and indeed, impossible, before. Whole genres; what Niépce did for visuals arts, you might say, Les Paul did for music.
I certainly wouldn't take anything from Fender. Those 2 guys make up 99.999% of the definition of "electric guitar" as far as I'm concerned.

08-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #8

A perfect example of what is wrong with this society.
Michael Jackson, a talented performer in his day, dies and the media can't stop talking about it for WEEKS.
Les Paul, whose genius and vision actually made most of todays music possible, dies and it is treated like a sub story to most everything on the evening news.
Granted Les was elderly, but his inventions and ideas are so much more signifigant to the music biz than anything MJ did it is staggering.
He invented multi-track recording for one thing. That is the basic format for the overwhelming majority of music today.
Not to mention inventing the electric guitar. How signifigant is that?
And, the guy could play.
08-15-2009, 03:04 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Far as I know, Les never went guano loco and bought a bunch of exotic animals and got his face carved up and heatshrunk.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I certainly wouldn't take anything from Fender. Those 2 guys make up 99.999% of the definition of "electric guitar" as far as I'm concerned.
Aye, Les invented it, but it was Leo who did that quintessentially American thing, and gave it to the masses. That's why the shape of the Strat is basically now a pictograph for electric guitar. Show to a new-found Amazonian tribe that never before has had contact with civilisation, and all the members'll probably start air-guitaring "Purple Haze."

I've got a Strat around here somewhere (granted, it's a Squire, HSS, but it's a limited edition - oooo, classy, I know. Got that kick-arse fat sixties headstock, though.)

Leo did a lot for the other part of the equation - the amps.
08-15-2009, 04:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

He certainly was musical great.
As to the Fender Strat vs Gibson Les Paul argument, I'd take the Gibson for that oh so nice sustain...
08-15-2009, 04:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
He certainly was musical great.
As to the Fender Strat vs Gibson Les Paul argument, I'd take the Gibson for that oh so nice sustain...
I second that!!!
08-15-2009, 06:51 AM   #12

Me too, the only thing is that an LP costs more...
It's impossible for me to keep my two hobbies at the best levels, that's why I keep only one (Pentax ) and have to settle with a lovely 1996 MIJ 3-color-sunburst Strat

Nevertheless, I agree that both Leo Fender and Les Paul did a lot for music
08-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The Epiphone Les Paul Standard plays pretty good too but at a fraction of the price of a Gibson Les Paul. I believe Gibson has also brought down the price of their shallower and lighter Gibson SG, another nice model with the distinctive double cutaway body.
08-15-2009, 11:49 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Nah, I must admit I love the Strat Quack a bit more than the scoopiness of humbuckers, if only because it's not done much anymore.

But, dammit, do I want a set of Texas Specials. And the ability to play "Scuttle Buttin'".
08-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #15
Damn Brit

Les Paul was inducted into more halls of fame than you can shake a stick at. Well, at least four.
He was a down to earth guy who changed the world for the better.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 08-16-2009 at 08:44 PM.