Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Evilbay troubles

Received a buy it now of 190 pound for my K100D with lens, buyer with no feedback, who just asked me this.

QuoteQuote:
'Hello,

I will be paying you via PayPal first thing tomorrow morning so that you will post it out to him via Royal Mail Airmail International, once i do that i will email you and give you the delivery address cause i am buying it as a gift for my Nephew in Lagos Nigeria.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Regards.
Gloria'
Ive told her i'll only ship it to a confirmed paypal address, is that enough to ensure me?

Thanks guys - my fault for using evilbay I guess...

08-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

Isn't that the usual Nigeria scam? I wonder if they'd come up with something more original...
Try posting something like selling a laptop on craigslist - you'll get almost identical scam emails with requests to ship to Nigeria 5 times in the first three hours. I'd say contact ebay or paypal, or if you're feeling really lucky, try sending him the invoice with most expensive shipping option - with tracking, signature confirmation, etc. Express should probably suffice, not sure about how it goes in England. I'm not sure if that'd save you if he decides to screw you over with paypal's buyer protection policy.
08-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
pbo
Veteran Member

Just in case, I'm pretty sure you can change shipping options after end of auction - so why not add the express mail option as the only means of International shipping? That's, again, if you're feeling lucky.
08-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That is one of the very common nigerian scams... BEWARE!

The money transfer will probably be far greater than the sales price (£1190 instead of £190), and due to "technical difficulties" they'll ask that you send back some of the money in cash form or as a check. To boot the transfer will probably be done with a stolen credit card or hijacked paypal account.

Check out: Welcome to the 419 Eater they are a group that baits and busts the scammers.

I would NOT deal with that person, and you should also report them to ebay and paypal security.

Pat

08-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
£1190 instead of £190
Oh... I didn't know about that part... Usually just ignored those people so didn't even get to that stage...
08-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I would NOT deal with that person, and you should also report them to ebay and paypal security.
heed this advice and save yourself the trouble. you are the seller, as such you have the right to refuse to sell. do so, and report this to ebay and paypal.
08-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They will send you a spoof email about funds being available in your email account. Send it to: spoof@paypal.com. You'll knoe it's bogus because you won't be able to log in to your paypal account if you hit the link from the email they endt you (also, view long headers from the email - you'll see a bogus address).

08-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah, that's so sketchy it's a Giacometti, even if Nigeria wasn't mentioned. I'd do as suggested by others here.
08-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #9

Original Poster
Yeah - coming back to it - it's so obviously a scam I have to knock one or two points off my 'interwebz score'

Time to have some fun methinks.
08-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Negative typecasting?

If the person is buying from YOU and sending YOU the money by Paypal, how is it a Nigerian scam? They aren't asking you to fork out any money. You're the seller and you're using Paypal, you get the money from THEM first...
And isn't Nigeria part of the Commonwealth? so mail services isn't an issue I should think. Sorry but I don't actually see any issues selling to someone in Africa provided they pay me first. I have sent out packages to Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa and Ghana with no issues except for a slightly longer shipping time. For the packages that I sent out to Nigeria and Ghana, the recipient sent payment via direct transfer from Zenith Bank with no issues.
08-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #11

Original Poster
That's the thing - but the double whammy of 'Nigeria' and 0 feedback just screams scam - and paypal has been known to reverse transactions, allowing scammers to retrive the money after receiving the object...
08-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
If the person is buying from YOU and sending YOU the money by Paypal, how is it a Nigerian scam? They aren't asking you to fork out any money. You're the seller and you're using Paypal, you get the money from THEM first...
And isn't Nigeria part of the Commonwealth? so mail services isn't an issue I should think. Sorry but I don't actually see any issues selling to someone in Africa provided they pay me first. I have sent out packages to Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa and Ghana with no issues except for a slightly longer shipping time. For the packages that I sent out to Nigeria and Ghana, the recipient sent payment via direct transfer from Zenith Bank with no issues.
They aren't now, but they WILL ask him to send him money just as the earlier poster explained. TRUST ME... Do not deal with this person whatsoever. I haven't had to deal with eBay on this so I have no frame of reference as to what they will do, but you have every reason to be concerned.

You, my friend, have been fished.
08-14-2009, 10:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pwn4g3_P13 Quote
That's the thing - but the double whammy of 'Nigeria' and 0 feedback just screams scam - and paypal has been known to reverse transactions, allowing scammers to retrive the money after receiving the object...
Not if you have documentary and perhaps photographic evidence that the item was shipped out. At the point of shipping out you can ask the post office for an Advice of receipt/delivery that the recipient has to sign and which offers confirmation that the item was delivered. I've had a few eBay transactions from deadbeat buyers who tried to claim non delivery and Paypal ruled in my favor because there is clear evidence who is the bona fide party.
08-14-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If the person is buying from YOU and sending YOU the money by Paypal, how is it a Nigerian scam?
Well, you have to admit that Nigerian scams are about as common as slugs in a garden in the middle of summertime, no?

As a seller I'm only shipping to a Paypal Confirmed address. If Gloria want's to give the item as a gift to her whatever in Nigeria she's more than welcome to ship it off to him after she receives it. I'd ship it to her, and only her. Period.

Regards,
Mike
08-15-2009, 12:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Not if you have documentary and perhaps photographic evidence that the item was shipped out. At the point of shipping out you can ask the post office for an Advice of receipt/delivery that the recipient has to sign and which offers confirmation that the item was delivered. I've had a few eBay transactions from deadbeat buyers who tried to claim non delivery and Paypal ruled in my favor because there is clear evidence who is the bona fide party.
Why risk it though? The pay and ship to a different address is used in every single Nigerian scam. The next step is that they overpay from a fraudulent account, request that you send them the overage back, and keep a percentage for your 'trouble'. It works because people are greedy, and think that they will get a little bit of 'free' money for not much effort. The source of funds is always fake or fraudulent.

It is a well known scam and eBay will let you revoke the winning bid by that person.