Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5831 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #1816
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Rachmaninov's Second Symphony on WABE, Atlanta's public radio station. The other day I enjoyed the vinyl of Simon and Garfunkel's concert at central park. And don't forget Janis Ian's music. At Seventeen is a fine song, with references to classic SF writers.

10-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #1817
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the list of albums I enjoyed today:
(Though not in this order)
Symphony Or Damn - Terrence Trent D'Arby
The Dark Side of The Moon - Pink Floyd
Animals - Pink Floyd
High N Dry - Def Leppard
Yellow Submarine Songtrack - The Beatles
Grace Under Pressure - Rush
Metallica - Metallica
10-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #1818
Veteran Member

The local PBS classical affiliate (KXPR Sacramento) just played the overture to a long-forgotten opera, Donna Diana. Big deal, right? Ah, some of y'all may be familiar with it. Play it in the background whilst a stout-hearted Mountie shouts at his dog team, ONWARD, YUKON KING! ONWARD, YOU HUSKIES!! Yes, it's the theme music of CHALLENGE OF THE YUKON, aka SERGEANT PRESTON OF THE YUKON. The original radio series was written so that Sgt Preston wasn't the star. No, the star was that Canadain Rin-Tin-Tin, YUKON KING!!

The radio serial originated at Detroit station WXYZ, was also the birthplace of THE LONE RANGER and THE GREEN HORNET, and shared some of the same writers. Trivia: When THE GREEN HORNET moved to TV, the sidekick Kato was played by Bruce Lee in his first big role. So there's just one degree of separation between Bruce Lee as Kato, Jay Silverheels as Tonto, and the mighty Yukon King. Curious, eh?

[/me reads the moss on the trees to navigate]
10-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #1819
Veteran Member

Keeping coming back to this tune, since discovering it earlier this week. Canadian band to watch.....

10-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #1820
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote

Those songs have at least one thing in common. Can you follow the thread or would you like a few more clues?
Well, they do make a good playlist fio a certain zeitgeist, any night-birds singing O come Away aside, anyway.

Does much remind me of a little attempt at high school romance of mine, though. She was excellent, I was too cool for school and slipping. I said 'zeitgeist' a lot and sang Springsteen, much like M. Etheredge. Cause it was high school. Ish.

Don't know if anyone had a good enough stereo to know what Stevie Nicks was actually singing, but that was and still is OK.

Still one of the prettiest songs ever, but the video's disconcerting:

On the theme of me at seventeen years old, I think I had to 'settle' for Neil Young at the time, but there's this:

Hey, hey, kids, it's cruising sounds of yesteryearishness!

Does remind me of high school, though: being seventeen, knowing it, and trying so hard to have a high-school time it came out all cliches. Funny how it's still controversial, but we were both going to show up to the prom in tuxes, secure in the knowing that no one was going to expect it.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-07-2011 at 09:43 PM.
10-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #1821
Veteran Member

This may actually beat the 'Tank Girl' version:

Fishing. Dragons. Screaming. Yeah.

Actually, in general, it's hard for me to be not liking this movie, given my general history of 'I was a Teenage Never-you-mind,' but I thin the soundtrack works:

Good soundtrack. I remember when the album this song first appeared on first came out: I took a sticker off the cassette wrappings and and put it on my primary camera at that moment. It's still there.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-10-2011 at 10:04 PM.
10-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #1822
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm in Phantom of the Opera mode, as in ALW's Phantom of the Opera, the famous musical. I just saw the 25th special from London and now I can't get the musical out of my head so I'm listening to the original soundtrack and some other Michael Crawford CD's I have. I figure as long as my head is stuck on Phantom repeat I might as well be listening to the original OST...

10-12-2011, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #1823
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Yankee Bayonet" by the Decemberists. Just before that "Your God is Dead to Me Now" by Five Eight. Some years ago I knew Mike Mantione, lead guitar and singer. They do good work. Try their CD "The Good Nurse."

Of course, YMMV.
10-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #1824
Veteran Member

Read too many political blogs this week and regressed to being that punk chick with 'Mercy' and 'Severity' on the toes of her boots and wanting to belt out some Pailhead tunes.

Eh. Rare old times:

I can wears floater?

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-12-2011 at 06:18 PM.
10-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #1825
Veteran Member

You know what, I'm apparently scared to do more than eating every other day: Like Lewis Carroll says...

Tomorrow we jam.

Just when I thought I'd run out of will to like bang my head against things, here's like a Viking-pop-metal band that mangles many of my favorite 80's tunes... And we all know it's punk rock to suck, but here's one that doesn't *quite* make you want to take a bit and brace to your own parietal lobe... Too often....

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-13-2011 at 12:23 AM.
10-13-2011, 05:22 AM   #1826
Veteran Member

ska ska ska for me Desmond Dekker is rude plus others

10-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #1827
Veteran Member

10-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #1828
Veteran Member

Marvin at Montreux
10-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #1829
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Ah, this has always been one of my favorites.

On a totally different track, speaking of songs I could belt out like Janis, once upon a time..... (OK, so maybe it's not *much* of a 1990, but I could sing.

There was also kind of a zombie theme going in the 'latest acquisition' thread, as people gear up for 'zombie apocalypse.'

Of course, we punk people have been dealing with the problem for a long time: word came to us from CA in 1989, at least.

(Speaking of things I never actually expected anyone to dig up and post on Youtube, of which there are few things: )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-17-2011 at 10:41 PM.
10-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #1830
Inactive Account

Van Morrison and the Chieftains -