Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #2671
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
I picked up a flawless Pioneer SA9500 integrated amp (circa 1975ish) a couple of weeks ago...

I have a bunch of classic 1970's amps and tuners, eBay bargains I've collected in the last couple of years.
For my last couple of acquisitions I spent a bit more for fully electronically restored units; these will be the "keepers"...

Chris

11-17-2015, 08:49 PM   #2672

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I have a bunch of classic 1970's amps and tuners, eBay bargains I've collected in the last couple of years.
For my last couple of acquisitions I spent a bit more for fully electronically restored units; these will be the "keepers"...

Chris
They certainly are keepers. The build quality is unparalleled....and basically infinitely repairable. When I was a little kid my best friends dad had this massive silver bank of Pioneer components topped with a reel to reel tape player. We were utterly fascinated by it, and of course it was completely off limits. When I got this unit and started playing around with it, I had a flashback to subversively flipping and turning all the knobs, then hoping we got them back to the proper setting in hopes that he would never know what we had done. My Dad still has (and uses daily) a quadrophonic Pioneer tuner and turn table with a set of 4 AR speakers. It is pretty cool that tablets, computers, and smart phones have given all of this wonderful equipment new life. All you need is an rca to 3.5 jack and you are good to go.

Last edited by indy; 11-17-2015 at 08:54 PM.
11-18-2015, 03:56 PM   #2673
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The video for Steven Wilson's Routine (from Hand.Cannot.Erase) is out, and as is often the case with SW's -and Jess Cope's - work, it is tremendous.

11-18-2015, 04:01 PM   #2674
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Bad Company... Feel Like Making Love...

(these days, I don't have the energy )

11-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #2675

Phenomenal no frills guitar

11-22-2015, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #2676
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Leonard Cohen:

And Sam Smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jzDnsjYv9A#t=143

(Great movie, btw!)
11-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #2677
Pentaxian

11-24-2015, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #2678
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bo Hansson - Lord Of The Rings - 1972 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Inspired_by_Lord_of_the_Rings_%28Bo_Hansson_album%29
Listening to the 1988 CD re-issue with bonus tracks

and now Tarkus - Tarkus 1972
Tarkus, the heaviest of all hard rock/progressive bands from Peru, was formed in 1971. The members were the Peruvians Alex Nathanson and Walo Carillo and, the Argentina born, Dario Gianella and Guillermo Van Locke.

It was Guillermo Van Locke, the group's bass player, who approached two members of Telegraph Avenue : Alex Nathanson, singer and acoustic guitar, and Walo Carrillo, drums and percussion. Both musicians have just finished recording Telegraph' s first lp, an album that was going to became the best seller of all lps by Peruvian rock groups in the 70' s.

Nathanson and Carillo decided to temporarily leave Telegraph to join Van Locke and explore new musical ideas on the direction of mixing hard rock with progressive.

The new group was baptized Tarkus, after a mythological being that lives deep inside everybody's soul and has the function to protect the individual's morality against the external world.

The trio was pretty successful in concerts but the melodic element was missing. Finally arrived in the persona of Dario Ginella, an Argentinean guitar player, friend of Van Locke, avid fan of Led Zeppelin, and who was, like Guillermo, a prolific composer.

After months playing together, the band signed a contract with MAG, a Peruvian label, to record an album (LPN-2423).

Tarkus was recorded from April 3rd. to May 16th., 1972. The studio gave the group total freedom to record their music the way they wanted it. The recording, under the technical direction of Carlos Guerrero, was done with love and dedication.

Fifty copies were made, all of them test pressings with the standard MAG label, to be giving as promotional material, and a few copies that were sold in stores.

The LP had it all, heavy rock, excellent compositions, good musicianship and futuristic vision, but it was too advanced for Peruvian rock fans. In USA it could have sold thousands of copies, but in Peru, the label decided not to released because of the low demand, making it the most look after album from South America. The insert, containing the lyrics of all songs, was never included with the promo copies. Even today this recording sound fresh and contemporary, it has the makings of a true classic.

Tarkus had a few live presentations, being the most famous the one at La Plaza de Acho, together with Pax, El Ayllu, El Polen, Kabul, etc...At the end 1972 the members of the group decided to follow their own paths in life. Alex Nathanson and Walo Carillo continued with Telegraph Avenue and went to record a second LP (Telegraph is still active giving concerts in Lima, Peru), Guillermo Van Locke returned to Argentina where he is a successful music producer, and Dario Gianella traveled to settle in Miami, Florida, where he does studio work.
Tarkus

Last edited by beachgardener; 11-24-2015 at 02:42 AM.
11-25-2015, 04:42 AM   #2679
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The video for Steven Wilson's Routine (from Hand.Cannot.Erase) is out, and as is often the case with SW's -and Jess Cope's - work, it is tremendous.

Steven Wilson - Routine - YouTube
Oh my god. That is a great video.

Reminds me a little of ASP - Me:

Though it is very different in subject matter, visual and musical style.
11-30-2015, 03:31 AM   #2680
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lady June - Linguistic Leprosy 1974

Lady June - Lady June's Linguistic Leprosy (Vinyl, LP, Album) at Discogs

Lady June?s Biography ? Free listening, videos, concerts, stats and pictures at Last.fm

And now:
Leaf Hound - Growers Of Mushroom 1971

Leaf Hound Discography at Discogs
Leaf Hound ? Free listening, videos, concerts, stats and pictures at Last.fm

Last edited by beachgardener; 11-30-2015 at 04:09 AM.
11-30-2015, 05:39 PM   #2681
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Oh my god. That is a great video.

Reminds me a little of ASP - Me:
ASP Me Official Video Sub Esp - YouTube

Though it is very different in subject matter, visual and musical style.
Yep, I can definitely see some resemblance in the animation.

---------- Post added 11-30-15 at 07:47 PM ----------

12-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #2682
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Millionaire by The Dakotas, 1963

Billy J Kramer's backing band.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 01-06-2019 at 02:41 PM.
12-01-2015, 07:22 PM   #2683
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Little River Band Cool Change
12-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #2684

12-03-2015, 04:11 AM   #2685
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tonight it is, Band: A Foot In Coldwater
Album: A Foot In Coldwater (1972)

Rockasteria: A Foot In Coldwater - A Foot In Coldwater (1972 canada, great hard rock)