Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5831 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #2686
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Floggin Rodger Quote
I don't know if it's that recording, my computer sound system, or my hearing, but I have problems with that song. The music is good, but they drowned out 90% of the lyrics, with the exception of the refrain. If I could understand what they were signing, or at least enough to have a general idea, I might really like it, as I do enjoy hard rock and loud guitars!

12-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #2687
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The new Foo Fighters surprise EP, Saint Cecilia.
12-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #2688

@ TomS
Here is something with better recording quality
12-04-2015, 03:43 AM   #2689
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Floggin Rodger Quote
Reminiscent of the Pearl (Janis Joplin).

I searched the web for another version of the Jackson Saints "It Ain't Easy", and true to the title, it wasn't easy, in fact it wasn't possible. I couldn't find one anywhere. I did run across a story saying they had reunited so perhaps a better copy will emerge. I'm always on the lookout for new songs I like, some of them are pretty well known while others remain very obscure.

Here's one from the brother of a well known contributor to this site, Ben Karanek:

Talk to Me Sorry, I couldn't find a YouTube version, and the video isn't among the best music videos, but I liked the song the instant I heard it.

12-04-2015, 03:50 AM   #2690
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and next up is: Baby Whale...The Downhill Climb 1972

https://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4034
12-06-2015, 04:01 AM   #2691
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

on with the show: Mayfield's Mule - Mayfield's Mule (1970)

This is the missing link lp in Andy Scott's career. This album has not been released in the UK, Europe or Us. It was released only in Uraguay.

Andy Scott's career started with the release of 'Expansions on Life' with the Elastic Band. Co-members in this band were Sean Jenkins - drums, Ted Yeadon - vocals, organ and Mike Scott bass. This band split when Ted Yeadon left to join the Love Affair. Expansions on Life is now a very sought after prog lp. After the split, the remaining members joined Chris Mayfield to form 'Mayfields Mule'. They released a number of singles and recorded this album. However, as mentioned before, it was never properly released. Andy Scott then went on to join the Sweet. Popsike

Guitarist, vocalist and songwriter CHRIS MAYFIELD began to play at the beginning of the Sixties in local Kent band The MORAL SET, then went on to the usual plethora of bands and sessions, playing with the earliest NIRVANA, JOHN GUSTAFSON, GENE LATTER and IAN HUNTER among the others. In 1968 after a few disappointing musical adventures, Chris joined AMEN CORNER as a roadie/driver, but his girlfriend passed some of his demos to Amen's sax player, MIKE SMITH, who immediately got them to various labels, EMI approved and immediately signed Chris to a recording deal. PETE SAUNDERS (k), STEVE BRADLEY (b) and ex-ELASTIC BAND SEAN JENKINS (d) soon joined and MAYFIELD'S MULE was born. Three Parlophone singles were recorded in a few months and the band also began to work on an album at Abbey Road studios. But something went wrong and the LP was apparently shelved, gaining instead an incredible Uruguayan release on local Emi-Odeon label, without any involvement and knowledge from the band. Mayfield's Mule went on for a while longer, recruiting brothers MIKE and ANDY SCOTT, and then called it a day. While Sean Jenkins played a few months with HENRY COW and Andy Scott resurfaced in THE SWEET, Chris Mayfield joined forces with JOHN KONGOS to record some demos of his new material. He then met up with an old friend from Kent NOEL REDDING (late of Jimi Hendrix Band and Fat Mattress) and they formed the shortlived BRAIN POLICE, which became (without Chris) ROAD and finally The NOEL REDDING BAND.

Chris moved to Holland for a while and then on to the USA, where he stayed playing music for the next 20 years, before coming back to England where he gave life to the brilliant BLUZE The BAND in 1998. After 7 years on the road this band is no longer working, but Chris is still gigging and right now is recording tunes for his new solo album!

This CD contains all the best Mayfield's Mule recordings, drawing from both the singles and the album. The music is basically rock but with hints of prog, blues, rural and even a bit of soul thrown in. All tracks have been digitally remastered from the original tapes. The 12 page booklet features the band's detailed story, with never-seen-before photos and Mayfield's own anecdotes.

1. Oh Lady 5'06
2. Double Dealing Woman 3'30
3. My Way Of Living 4'13
4. I See A River 2'18
5. Down From The Country 3'41
6. Drinking My Moonshine 2'44
7. Abracadabra 5'23
8. Here Comes The Rain 9'19
9. Rolling Down The Highway 2'17
10. My One For Your Two 8'15
11. Life's Been Good To Me 1'56

THE MUSICIANS

Chris Mayfield: guitars / lead vocals
Sean Jenkins: drums
Steve Bradley: bass / harmony vocals
Pete Saunders: keyboards
"Moxie" Gowland: harmonica / flute
PP Arnold: backing vocals
Henry Spinetti: drums on tracks 2 and 6
Chris Hunt: drums on track 11

All songs by Chris Mayfield except for Life's Been Good To Me by Chris Mayfield & Mox Gowland

All songs originally recorded 1969/70, published by Warner/Chappell Music Publishing Ltd. and licensed courtesy of EMI Records Ltd by arrangement with Chris Mayfield

Tracks 2 and 6 recorded at Trident Studios, London.

All the other tracks recorded at Abbey Road Studios, London.

Engineered by Alan Parsons, Richard Lush and Nick Webb.
Produced by Jonathan Peel, Mike Smith and Chris Mayfield.

Digitally remastered by John David at Berry Hill Studio, Berry Hill, Gloucestershire

cover illustration: Steve Bradley

CD and booklet artwork: Loriana Martin

This album is dedicated to the memory of Sean Jenkins who drummed mightily on this music and sadly passed away just before its release.
12-07-2015, 06:51 AM   #2692
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Artist: Demon Fuzz
Title: Afreaka! (1970)

Bass Sleepy Jack Joseph
Congas Ayinde Folarin
Congas, Flute, Saxophone Paddy Corea
Drums Steven John
Guitar W. Raphael Joseph
Organ, Piano Ray Rhoden
Trombone Clarance Brooms Crosdale
Vocals Smokey Adams
Engineer Geoff Calver, Howard Barrow
Producer Barry Murray
This is the classic long lost British psychedelic funk album by Demon Fuzz
In a just world, Demon Fuzz would have been very successful. Sadly, however, the only real success they enjoyed is the fact that many club DJs now use their samples frequently. Although the band played most of the British underground festivals in the early seventies, Demon Fuzz were simply too way-out to make a significant impact on the college crowd and as a result they broke up after 18 months on the scene. Released in 1970 the bands only album, the extraordinary Afreaka!, demonstrates their excellence in playing psychedelic soul, dub-heavy funk, progressive rock, Afro-jazz and black acid rock. Demon Fuzz these days are amongst the most bootlegged and sampled bands from the early 70s British underground. This re-release, which includes the stunning and rare EP that at the time was released along with the album, tells the bands full story for the first time ever.
Ahead of their time with a unique and very heavy blend of psychedelic afro-caribbean jazz funk-rock, Demon Fuzz released 2 albums. Afreaka in 1970,and Roots & Offshoots in 1976(both available on CD) Demon Fuzz played mostly UK underground clubs & fesitvals with the likes of Moody Blues, Yes, Ginger Baker, Mungo Jerry, Coloseum, Traffic, Wild Mouth, and the Who, among others. DEMON FUZZ Afreaka! reviews and MP3

12-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #2693

12-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #2694
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

RIP, Scott Weiland of the Stone Temple Pilots. Only 48, had two kids. Passed away in his sleep, but difficult to imagine it wasn't due to his earlier very hard grunge lifestyle.

12-10-2015, 03:39 AM   #2695
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Band:Arzachel Album: Arzachel (1969)

Arzachel biography
Comprised of what was then the band URIEL, this was the earliest formation of Steve HILLAGE and Dave STEWART. ARZACHEL had two things which helped transition it to be CD era: the music is a head above most other psych rarities, and the four musicians later achieved marginal success within the '70s progressive rock "Canterbury scene".

The record itself featured some of the most explosive psychedelia by an English group. The sound of sustained keyboard and guitar passages are full blown drawn-out psychedelia of the highest order, think EGG, GONG, NATIONAL HEALTH, CARAVAN etc. Collectors of rare psychedelia recognize ARZACHEL's sole LP as being one of the most desired (and pricey) relics from the late '60s.

The band Arzachel was a pseudonym of the band Uriel, a short-lived English psychedelic rock band during the 1960s, composed of Steve Hillage, Dave Stewart, Clive Brooks and Mont Campbell. In 1969, after Uriel had broken up, they had an offer to record, though they had to change the name for legal reasons. After Hillage left to pursue his education, Stewart, Brooks and Campbell later continued as Egg, and Hillage's future band called Khan featured Stewart on keyboards
12-10-2015, 10:22 AM   #2696
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
RIP, Scott Weiland of the Stone Temple Pilots. Only 48, had two kids. Passed away in his sleep, but difficult to imagine it wasn't due to his earlier very hard grunge lifestyle.
His then-current lifestyle, unfortunately.
12-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #2697
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
His then-current lifestyle, unfortunately.
Yes, sadly ... check out the open letter from his ex-wife:

Scott Weiland's Family: 'Don't Glorify This Tragedy' | Rolling Stone
12-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #2698
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, sadly ... check out the open letter from his ex-wife:

Scott Weiland's Family: 'Don't Glorify This Tragedy' | Rolling Stone
It is sad. And she was a drug addict, too.
12-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #2699
Veteran Member

Lennon and McCartney for most of December. The bitter personal criticisms of Ram and Imagine, the bitterness of Plastic Ono Band and the regret found in Wildlife and Band On The Run just for fun.
12-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #2700
Veteran Member

This has my full attention today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_G-rLAlUDw#t=70