Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2009, 06:13 AM   #31
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that's the biggest crock. the 90's was the revival of real rock. the 80s nearly killed it with its ridiculous glam image and heavy pop overtones disguised as "metal". the 90's was the closest thing we have come to the pureness of late 60's early 70's.
Are you crazy? Just a bunch of wannabe's

08-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #32
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
not as crazy as you. wannabes? how do you figure? what did they want to be? they paved the way for a completely new sound, style and influence. what did the 80's offer? over processed, mainstream sounds and images more controlled by the record label than anyone or anything else. they all looked about the same, they all sounded about the same and they gave us about the same for pretty much the entire decade.

not liking the sound is fine, but don't discount it as crap just because of that. look at what the most influential bands of the 90's offered 'rock' compared to the 80's. I bet one, Mr. Young would agree with me.
08-17-2009, 08:00 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's still very good music being made. It's wrong to think that the best rock was ever "mainstream". Even during their 'heyday', people had to listen to underground FM stations to hear the best of Led Zepplin, Hendrix, The Who, etc...
08-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't think these qualify as 'wannabe's'

Pearl Jam
Eric Clapton
Guns N' Roses
Metallica
Smashing Pumpkins
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Aerosmith
AC/DC
Bon Jovi
Rolling Stones
Dave Matthews Band

I could go on but if you're going to argue with these, there's no point....

08-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
There's still very good music being made. It's wrong to think that the best rock was ever "mainstream". Even during their 'heyday', people had to listen to underground FM stations to hear the best of Led Zepplin, Hendrix, The Who, etc...
thats not because such music wasn't mainstream (by the way, I feel such labels are as ridiculous as most genre labels. but I guess thats irrelevant) it was likely more do to just the times and the people in control of the stations. well I suppose it has to be mainstream to be played on radio though? you find underground in record shops,mainstream on the radio.
08-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
thats not because such music wasn't mainstream
Yes, it's precisely because it wasn't mainstream. Mainstream at the time was The Archies. To hear Led Zepplin or CSNY, we had to wait until night. And even then we had to hook up our stereos to the tv antenna to pick up the big-city stations that played this stuff. Mainstream, then as now, was just mindless pap for the most part.
08-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #37
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Yes, it's precisely because it wasn't mainstream. Mainstream at the time was The Archies. To hear Led Zepplin or CSNY, we had to wait until night. And even then we had to hook up our stereos to the tv antenna to pick up the big-city stations that played this stuff. Mainstream, then as now, was just mindless pap for the most part.
or more because such music was considered too 'adult'? I cant imagine that radio wasn't far more conservative then compared to now.

but of course I don't speak from personal experience. I am only guessing, as I didn't exist at the time. though I agree about mainstream radio. nothing has really changed I guess.

08-17-2009, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

There's still good rock being made, you just won't hear it out of the dwindling number of media corporations.

'Jello Was Right.'
08-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #39
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
There's still good rock being made, you just won't hear it out of the dwindling number of media corporations.

'Jello Was Right.'
Damn them conservatives!
08-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I think it's not that 'rock is dead,' ... It's that, maybe like film, it's just marketed that way, if it isn't what they wanna force-feed you.

Even in my punk-rock days, I was always a semi-closeted Springsteen fan.

And the only thing that ever stopped me from rocking was this trifling little thing called 'really not having musical talent.' Fronted a short-lived band or two, anyway.

But if I can rock to this, as of 2007, *you can rock to this:*

"I was trying to find my way home
But all I heard was a drone
Bouncing off a satellite
Into the last lone American night

This is radio nowhere
Is there anybody alive out there

I was spinnin round a dead dial
Just another lost number in a file
Dancing down a dark hole
Just searching for a world with some soul

This is radio nowhere
Is there anybody alive out there."

--Bruce Springteen.

If I can belt that out to the Stars, you can rock to this.
08-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Damn them conservatives!
You do realize, of course, that all the supply-side economics in the world doesn't make anything rock?

(Edit: I mean, you said it yourself, Graphic, the only things you listen to on the radio are conservative talk and the same darn 'classic rock' playlists they've been playing for decades.

To be fair, that's all there *is* down here outside college radio's range, provided you don't like country. Which I actually do, except that there's bound to be something just awful on within a song or two. Bluegrass? Great. Maybe if people would just close their mouths while playing it. You know, at least before someone turns it into some kind of sermon about this or that. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 08-17-2009 at 01:25 PM.
08-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #42
graphicgr8s

You do realize, of course, that all the supply-side economics in the world doesn't make anything rock?
The only thing that matters if you have a product for sale is if there is a buyer. No buyer, no sale. No Demand, supply don't matter a hill o' beans. No sale, no money, no sale no tax generation.

So I guess it's really demand side economics.
08-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #43
Veteran Member

The only thing that matters if you have a product for sale is if there is a buyer. No buyer, no sale. No Demand, supply don't matter a hill o' beans. No sale, no money, no sale no tax generation.

So I guess it's really demand side economics.

That is the spirit of anti-rock.

Musical talent hasn't gone away.

Turning it into 'money' is just why you don't hear it.

But it's always been where it always was.

(edit: Also note my previous edit. I'm trying to make some hardware work on this machine and it's possibly playing random interrupt with my conection, apparently. )
08-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #44
graphicgr8s

That is the spirit of anti-rock.

Musical talent hasn't gone away.

Turning it into 'money' is just why you don't hear it.

But it's always been where it always was.

(edit: Also note my previous edit. I'm trying to make some hardware work on this machine and it's possibly playing random interrupt with my conection, apparently. )
It's always been about money. Elvis, Springsteen, Joel, any one you want to name. It's about fame and M-O-N-E-Y.

RML there's nothing wrong about making money. Find something you're good at and make some for yourself. See what a joy it is to make M-O-N-E-Y.
08-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #45
Pentaxian

I'm listening to Jazz on some American station a few thousand + miles away, think it's in California, not sure.

I have a Grace Wi_fi radio that picks up stations crystal clear from everywhere in the world through my computer's router. Love the radio,