Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5825 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2019, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #5056
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Merv's post reminded me of some old favorites.

11-02-2019, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #5057
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I bet you had a Grateful Day too, eh?

Is that you with Little John from the Sherwood Forest Merv?
It was a very mellow and wonderful time--the Terrapin Station was worth the whole show.
11-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #5058
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

One of my all time favorite Dead tunes.

Sugar magnolia, blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care,
Saw my baby down by the river, knew she'd have to come up soon for air.

Sweet blossom come on, under the willow, we can have high times if you'll abide
We can discover the wonders of nature, rolling in the rushes down by the riverside.

She's got everything delightful, she's got everything I need,
Takes the wheel when I'm seeing double, pays my ticket when I speed

She comes skimmin' through rays of violet, she can wade in a drop of dew,
She don't come and I don't follow, waits backstage while I sing to you.

Well, she can dance a Cajun rhythm, jump like a Willys in four wheel drive.
She's a summer love for spring, fall and winter. She can make happy any man alive.

Sugar magnolia, ringing that bluebell, caught up in sunlight, come on out singing
I'll walk you in the sunshine, come on honey, come along with me.

She's got everything delightful, she's got everything I need,
A breeze in the pines and the sun and bright moonlight, lazing in the sunshine yes
indeed.

Sometimes when the cuckoo's crying, when the moon is half way down,
Sometimes when the night is dying, I take me out and I wander around, I wander
'round.

Sunshine, daydream, walking in the tall trees, going where the wind goes
Blooming like a red rose, breathing more freely,
Ride our singin', I'll walk you in the morning sunshine
Sunshine, daydream. Sunshine, daydream. Walking in the sunshine.
11-02-2019, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #5059
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A standout tune from them. I saw them many years ago, and the platform that had Carl Palmer and the drum kit was on an elevator that rose from beneath the stage as he began the show with a drum intro while Emerson and Lake accompanied with piano and strings.

During Palmer's (very) extended drum solo the house lights were turned off, strobe lights fired on him and his kit while he played, and the platform rotated. Each time the lights lit him up he was in a different position, and it looked like a series of still photographs of him.

Awesome show.
It sounds fantastic, I wonder if there a film of it anywhere? I'll go looking now.

Meantime:

11-02-2019, 11:56 AM   #5060
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
It sounds fantastic, I wonder if there a film of it anywhere? I'll go looking now.
To narrow it down, it was the mid 1970's, either 1976, 1977, or 1978, I don't recall exactly which. I saw the show at the Seattle Center Coliseum, a stop on their tour back then.
11-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #5061
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To narrow it down, it was the mid 1970's, either 1976, 1977, or 1978, I don't recall exactly which. I saw the show at the Seattle Center Coliseum, a stop on their tour back then.

There are a ton of full concerts on YT:
Emerson Lake & Palmer concerts/live (ELP) - YouTube

And an archive site:
The Emerson, Lake & Palmer Concert Archive

7/31/1977 Seattle, WA USA Arena

Could this be the one, they sure got around a bit.
11-02-2019, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #5062
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not quite Carl Palmer, but worth a listen

11-02-2019, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #5063
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote

7/31/1977 Seattle, WA USA Arena

Could this be the one, they sure got around a bit.
That may be it. Although I recall it was the Coliseum, not the arena, but it was a very long time ago, and memory fades . . . . .
11-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #5064
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Saw them live in London with John Wetton in 2006, where they played pretty much all of the first two albums, plus some individual tracks.
11-02-2019, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #5065
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Led Zeppelin’s debut album

11-02-2019, 10:25 PM - 2 Likes   #5066
Pentaxian

Jefferson Airplane

11-02-2019, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #5067
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Right now enjoying some mashups I've found on youtube from a guy called Bill McClintock, with my favorite one so far is a mashup of Edwin Starr & Slayer in a song called "War (On And On South Of Heaven)" (here:
). The dude does an excellent job with the mashups, there's a few other sings on his channel that I'm a big fan of listening too
11-03-2019, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #5068
Pentaxian

The Moody Blues

11-03-2019, 03:44 PM - 5 Likes   #5069
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

A little story...

My Mum enters all sorts of competitions - mostly in puzzle magazines and on TV - and never wins anything. She would tell you that it doesn't bother her, that she enjoys doing the puzzles and entering... but I feel sorry for her and I've often wished she could win just the odd small prize here and there.

Well, a few weeks ago she entered a competition in our local "What's On"-style publication - a monthly magazine that's mostly advertising from local companies, but with editorial coverage and promotion of local events. She forgot all about entering it until - a couple of days ago - an envelope arrived in the mail for her, with a pair of tickets for our town's annual fireworks display. A pretty meagre prize, but - bless her - she was delighted

I had hoped my Dad would go with her to the event, but he's not a fan of nights out - and certainly not where crowds are concerned. So I suggested my Mum and I go together, largely because I wanted her to enjoy her little prize, and I knew she wouldn't go otherwise. Frankly, though, my expectations of the display weren't high. I should explain...

The district in which I live - Chester-le-Street, in the north east county of Durham - isn't a hot-bed of activity. It's quite a decent size these days (much bigger than I remember as a child), with the entire district - which is made up of the town itself and numerous smaller surrounding villages and areas including my own - having a population of around 55,000. Even so, aside from hosting (in recent years) major national and some international cricket, it's not really a centre for anything. It's a reasonably quiet regional commuter town, with good access by road and rail to several cities, as well as excellent access to many beautiful rural and coastal areas, some of which are very close by. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a good place in which to live (well, I think so), but not a great deal of significance happens here, and most local events are rather modest in nature... One generally needs to travel to nearby cities for more impressive entertainment.

So... back to the event... I wasn't expecting too much...

... but how wrong I was! A large section of our pretty "Riverside Park" was fenced and gated off, and inside the enclosure was a good funfair, lots of food and drink stalls, and a live music stage. I can only guess how many visitors turned up, but I'd say it was a couple of thousand. We arrived just as twilight was fading, wandered around the funfair, got some tasty "finger food" then made our way over to the live music stage just as a child-oriented act - singing Disney film songs - was finishing up. Then, the MC - from a local radio station broadcasting live from the site - announced the "Geoff Mull Band", who I'd never heard of. It turns out that Geoff Mull is a local musician who had 15 minutes of fame as an ultimately-unsuccessful contestant on TV's "The X Factor" back in 2014. Since then, however, he's established a pretty good career for himself writing and releasing songs, and playing both public and private gigs consisting of original and cover material. Well, tonight he played around eight numbers (I wasn't counting), about half of which were very well-executed crowd-pleasing covers, and half were his original songs... one of which is below (dreadful video, but I really like the retro dance / soul style and simplicity of the song). He has a great recording voice which sounds even better live, good stage presence, his band is tight (and they were properly live on stage - no backing tracks!), and I really enjoyed the performance. My Mum clearly did too, as she was actually dancing (or something akin to that ).

Oh, and the fireworks... they were spectacular. Better than anything I've seen previously, except - perhaps - for the biggest city displays. Great show, great atmosphere and a great night out

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-03-2019 at 04:36 PM.
11-03-2019, 05:44 PM - 2 Likes   #5070
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
A little story...

My Mum enters all sorts of competitions - mostly in puzzle magazines and on TV - and never wins anything. She would tell you that it doesn't bother her, that she enjoys doing the puzzles and entering... but I feel sorry for her and I've often wished she could win just the odd small prize here and there.

Well, a few weeks ago she entered a competition in our local "What's On"-style publication - a monthly magazine that's mostly advertising from local companies, but with editorial coverage and promotion of local events. She forgot all about entering it until - a couple of days ago - an envelope arrived in the mail for her, with a pair of tickets for our town's annual fireworks display. A pretty meagre prize, but - bless her - she was delighted

I had hoped my Dad would go with her to the event, but he's not a fan of nights out - and certainly not where crowds are concerned. So I suggested my Mum and I go together, largely because I wanted her to enjoy her little prize, and I knew she wouldn't go otherwise. Frankly, though, my expectations of the display weren't high. I should explain...

The district in which I live - Chester-le-Street, in the north east county of Durham - isn't a hot-bed of activity. It's quite a decent size these days (much bigger than I remember as a child), with the entire district - which is made up of the town itself and numerous smaller surrounding villages and areas including my own - having a population of around 55,000. Even so, aside from hosting (in recent years) major national and some international cricket, it's not really a centre for anything. It's a reasonably quiet regional commuter town, with good access by road and rail to several cities, as well as excellent access to many beautiful rural and coastal areas, some of which are very close by. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a good place in which to live (well, I think so), but not a great deal of significance happens here, and most local events are rather modest in nature... One generally needs to travel to nearby cities for more impressive entertainment.

So... back to the event... I wasn't expecting too much...

... but how wrong I was! A large section of our pretty "Riverside Park" was fenced and gated off, and inside the enclosure was a good funfair, lots of food and drink stalls, and a live music stage. I can only guess how many visitors turned up, but I'd say it was a couple of thousand. We arrived just as twilight was fading, wandered around the funfair, got some tasty "finger food" then made our way over to the live music stage just as a child-oriented act - singing Disney film songs - was finishing up. Then, the MC - from a local radio station broadcasting live from the site - announced the "Geoff Mull Band", who I'd never heard of. It turns out that Geoff Mull is a local musician who had 15 minutes of fame as an ultimately-unsuccessful contestant on TV's "The X Factor" back in 2014. Since then, however, he's established a pretty good career for himself writing and releasing songs, and playing both public and private gigs consisting of original and cover material. Well, tonight he played around eight numbers (I wasn't counting), about half of which were very well-executed crowd-pleasing covers, and half were his original songs... one of which is below (dreadful video, but I really like the retro dance / soul style and simplicity of the song). He has a great recording voice which sounds even better live, good stage presence, his band is tight (and they were properly live on stage - no backing tracks!), and I really enjoyed the performance. My Mum clearly did too, as she was actually dancing (or something akin to that ).

Oh, and the fireworks... they were spectacular. Better than anything I've seen previously, except - perhaps - for the biggest city displays. Great show, great atmosphere and a great night out

Geoff Mull - Just Remember (OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO SEPTEMBER 2019) - YouTube
Mike,
Sounds like you(and your Mum) had a really great night,thanks for sharing.Aren't those impromptu/unexpected experiences always the best?