Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5831 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
It's always been about money. Elvis, Springsteen, Joel, any one you want to name. It's about fame and M-O-N-E-Y.
No, it's not. Just cause you think you might one day be the one to *buy* the golden goose doesn't mean that's the wonder of it.

QuoteQuote:
RML there's nothing wrong about making money. Find something you're good at and make some for yourself. See what a joy it is to make M-O-N-E-Y.
And you dare call others 'unspiritual.'

08-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #47
Banned

It's always been about money. Elvis, Springsteen, Joel, any one you want to name. It's about fame and M-O-N-E-Y.

RML there's nothing wrong about making money. Find something you're good at and make some for yourself. See what a joy it is to make M-O-N-E-Y.
not completely. the difference is the bands that balance it or are more focused on the music. Led Zeppelin however cliche would be a good example. they were about the music from the beginning, they got fame and money. (they got mainstream) they let thet play a role and figured out that it was still about the music. when Bonzo died they quit. it was about the music till the end. yet they are arguably one of the most successful and greatest bands in rock history. dosnt get more mainstream than Led Zeppelin... except maybe Pink Floyd. despite them being psychedelic/progressive rock... but I digress...
08-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Pretty simple, I think, really: the guy who obsessively-validates a money-based idea of what music is thinks music died right around when things stopped being even about 'competition' so much as a near-monopoly by a few indistinguishable and largely-unaccountable media corporations.
08-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #49
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
No, it's not. Just cause you think you might one day be the one to *buy* the golden goose doesn't mean that's the wonder of it.

And you dare call others 'unspiritual.'
Huh. I make money. No wait. I earn money. I give my money gladly to certain causes that have affected me or others in my circle. I also give my tithes and faith promise to my church. If I didn't make money these entities would be poorer for it. So yeah, making money is Godly. It allows one to give.
Back to the music please.

08-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Huh. I make money. No wait. I earn money. I give my money gladly to certain causes that have affected me or others in my circle. I also give my tithes and faith promise to my church. If I didn't make money these entities would be poorer for it. So yeah, making money is Godly. It allows one to give.
Back to the music please.
I would think your Calvinism would be obvious by your little Icon there, a cheerless and crabby Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes.

''Making money" at the systemic expense of others and then kicking some back to certain people who'll use it to help you make more money at the expense of others, so you can feel better about it isn't *necessarily* that noble.

Certainly, it's no way to decide what good music is out there. Any more than it's a good idea to listen to someone with ulterior motives when they say 'Pentax is dead,' right?

That's why I couldn't care less if Pentax makes it big, ...as long as they can make the stuff I need.

They start becoming dependent for their size on making the same kind of pablum the other camera makers do, ...they're no good to me, either.

You don't need to conquer the world to feel safe enough to share and live and do good things.

Goes for music as much as anything else.

What, you sell out conscience so as to buy it off later?
08-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #51
graphicgr8s

I would think your Calvinism would be obvious by your little Icon there, a cheerless and crabby Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes.

''Making money" at the systemic expense of others and then kicking some back to certain people who'll use it to help you make more money at the expense of others, so you can feel better about it isn't *necessarily* that noble.

Certainly, it's no way to decide what good music is out there. Any more than it's a good idea to listen to someone with ulterior motives when they say 'Pentax is dead,' right?

That's why I couldn't care less if Pentax makes it big, ...as long as they can make the stuff I need.

They start becoming dependent for their size on making the same kind of pablum the other camera makers do, ...they're no good to me, either.

You don't need to conquer the world to feel safe enough to share and live and do good things.

Goes for music as much as anything else.

What, you sell out conscience so as to buy it off later?
You really don't have a clue as to what you are typing about do you?
08-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #52
Veteran Member

You really don't have a clue as to what you are typing about do you?
Did it make you feel better to say that, or do you expect more 'classic rock' any time soon?

08-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #53
Banned

listening to a little Nancy & Lee on the iPod. she was sexy as all get out back then. great vocal pair those two no?

oh wait, this is about rock right?
08-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
listening to a little Nancy & Lee on the iPod. she was sexy as all get out back then. great vocal pair those two no?

oh wait, this is about rock right?
I dunno, Seamuis. I put some Black 47 in the player a little while ago.
08-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #55
Banned

I dunno, Seamuis. I put some Black 47 in the player a little while ago.
my friend raves about them. I have still never given them a listen. shame on me I suppose. they are supposed to be one hell of a great mix of Irish folk and rock. I always appreciate bands who still push the envelope regarding Irish folk and the 'rebel' side of the genre.
08-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #56
Veteran Member

my friend raves about them. I have still never given them a listen. shame on me I suppose. they are supposed to be one hell of a great mix of Irish folk and rock. I always appreciate bands who still push the envelope regarding Irish folk and the 'rebel' side of the genre.
Well, to musicians, they're pretty awful. I usually only trot em out around the Spring Equinox, but they actually do sing a fair bit about musicians never getting what they 'earn' and never earning what they get.
08-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #57
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Well, to musicians, they're pretty awful.
all the more reason to give them a listen. they dont have any albums on vinyl according to their website store. any particular album of theirs you recommend?
08-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #58
Veteran Member

all the more reason to give them a listen. they dont have any albums on vinyl according to their website store. any particular album of theirs you recommend?
Well, I like 'Fire of Freedom' for this. Can't say I ever felt the need for any more. There's a certain cheese factor involved that you used to be able to get on Boston radio, particularly during times of big ska things.. It's actually not something you would ordinarily expect you need to archive. Pogues fans may scorn it if they take things too seriously.

(*Was,* mind you, an awesome antidote for the fad for all things grandiose and Celtic there had been. I can hardly complain about anything that means I can get a pint of Guinness all over *this* town, but sometimes you really did need to whip out the ol' House Of Pain. The more Gaeilge you knew, the more you needed it. )

Speaking of Black 47, though: (to the tune of 'The Foggy Dew:' "Oh, Mammie, dear, we're all mad over here. Livin in America." )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 08-17-2009 at 02:36 PM.
08-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #59
Veteran Member

08-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #60
Banned

I actually never much cared for the Pogues, and Ive really tried to like them.