Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2020, 09:14 AM   #6631
Banned

Currently listening to Bob Dylan's Knocking On Heaven's Door. Quite a nostalgic song for me.

09-19-2020, 11:29 AM - 2 Likes   #6632
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66

09-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #6633
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In mellow mood today, time for some Peter White...

09-19-2020, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #6634
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great music with excellent cinematography to match. It looks like it was shot on film.

This was shot in 1966. Martha Argerich is still performing AFAIK. Apparently her concerts sell out in a matter of minutes.

09-21-2020, 07:15 PM - 4 Likes   #6635
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ringo Starr turned 80 not long ago. This hit was written with/for him by George Harrison, who did the same thing with 'It Don't Come Easy', which closes The Simpsons episode featuring Ringo.

George was a classy guy. Forced to lie in bed as he was dying of cancer, when Ringo told him his daughter had been diagnosed with a brain tumour, George immediately offered to get on a plane to fly to New York to help comfort her.

We also like Ringo because he was a Pentaxian.

Last edited by clackers; 09-21-2020 at 08:25 PM.
09-21-2020, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #6636
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Courtney Love of all people was a big fan of this song and used to do it in her own concerts.
09-21-2020, 11:55 PM   #6637
dbs
Pentaxian

Split Enz
09-22-2020, 12:02 AM - 6 Likes   #6638
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I remember, as a school kid, studying for my up-coming examinations...

Despite being a good student in the initial years of senior school, I'd become lazy and coasted through the last year or two, learning little. With the exception of Computer Science (which was my "thing") I did poorly in the mock exams, my prospects weren't looking too good, and I realised I'd have to study very hard in the few remaining weeks before sitting the real ones. In the first few days of cramming, I found I could concentrate for longer and retain the facts better if I had music playing in the background. So, I spent several weeks revising for many hours each day whilst listening to a handful of favourite albums on an old Realistic mono cassette player connected to my guitar amp It wasn't exactly high fidelity, I suppose, but I knew no better back then and it sounded OK to me.

My approach worked, more or less. My grades were pretty decent (though I suspect I was capable of better in a couple of subjects), and the only exam I didn't pass - even after a second attempt in the re-sits - was technical drawing... a subject I loved, but I was too slow and methodical to complete all of the questions and exercises in the allotted time

Of the half dozen or so albums I listened to, Dire Straits' "Making Movies" and "Love Over Gold" were possibly my most played... Both brilliant in different ways and packed with great numbers that I've been re-discovering over the last couple of days. These are two of my favourites...

09-22-2020, 12:25 AM - 2 Likes   #6639
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

Of the half dozen or so albums I listened to, Dire Straits' "Making Movies" and "Love Over Gold" were possibly my most played...
Yeah, I loved 'Industrial Disease', Mike. And of course the epic Springsteen-like 'Telegraph Road'.
09-22-2020, 12:32 AM   #6640
dbs
Pentaxian

Nirvana
09-22-2020, 02:56 AM   #6641
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

09-22-2020, 03:30 AM   #6642
Pentaxian

Foreigner, I want to know what love is, beautiful song
09-22-2020, 04:04 AM   #6643
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

in light of recent events, when I am on the road, I now listen to jazz channels instead of news
09-22-2020, 05:03 AM - 2 Likes   #6644
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
By the way, there's one thing that puzzles me about the new crop of audiophiles. Why the rush to buy vinyl LP's when they've been digitally mastered? What's the point of going back to analogue when you 've already destroyed a third of the data (or some such thing as that) by digitally recording or remastering?
With the CD standard, audio is digitally represented as two channels (left and right in the stereo image) of 16-bit PCM encoding at a 44.1kHz sampling rate. That's pretty good, but some subtleties in the audio are lost. In remastering, digital capture and further processing of the original analogue audio sources is typically performed at significantly higher bit resolutions and rates - for example, 24-bit PCM encoding at 192kHz - so a lot more of the subtleties of the original recordings are captured (the difference between CD and re-mastering workspace audio is, conceptually, not unlike the difference between 8-bit JPEG and 14-bit raw image files we photographers work with). Depending on the quality of the end-to-end remastering exercise, the resulting vinyl pressings should be able to represent almost all the finer details of the original recordings whilst benefiting further from the production work carried out in the digital audio workbench...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-22-2020 at 06:07 AM.
09-22-2020, 07:40 AM - 3 Likes   #6645
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
With the CD standard, audio is digitally represented as two channels (left and right in the stereo image) of 16-bit PCM encoding at a 44.1kHz sampling rate. That's pretty good, but some subtleties in the audio are lost. In remastering, digital capture and further processing of the original analogue audio sources is typically performed at significantly higher bit resolutions and rates - for example, 24-bit PCM encoding at 192kHz - so a lot more of the subtleties of the original recordings are captured (the difference between CD and re-mastering workspace audio is, conceptually, not unlike the difference between 8-bit JPEG and 14-bit raw image files we photographers work with). Depending on the quality of the end-to-end remastering exercise, the resulting vinyl pressings should be able to represent almost all the finer details of the original recordings whilst benefiting further from the production work carried out in the digital audio workbench...
......plus a vinyl record with “full frame” artwork is a much lovelier thing to own and handle!