Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5831 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2022, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #9256
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I can't see them as spent. They write and record a whole album in three weeks - what band even today can do that?
...but I wouldnt admit to taking longer than three weeks to produce something like the Let It Be album. A couple singles from the sessions wouldve been enough, I think

02-19-2022, 04:23 AM   #9257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw Sierra Hull perform live at the beginning of the month. I knew almost nothing of her music, but after her opening set was done, I purchased two of CD's from the merch table, and last weekend I listened to them both while taking a long drive. I made the drive a bit longer so I could hear them both, twice.
This was the first song I heard her perform live, it really rewards listening via a good set of headphones.
She can play!
And so can the rest of the band.
and now I've fallen down the rabbit hole, but what a soundtrack

Last edited by robgski; 02-19-2022 at 05:19 AM.
02-19-2022, 03:43 PM   #9258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A stunning live performance of the Sibelius violin concerto, given by Jascha Heifetz at Carnegie Hall, New York in March 1951, with the New York Philharmonic under Dmitri Mitropoulos.
02-19-2022, 04:39 PM - 2 Likes   #9259
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Waffles Quote
...but I wouldnt admit to taking longer than three weeks to produce something like the Let It Be album. A couple singles from the sessions wouldve been enough, I think
That what they might consider a failure by their high standards is extraordinary.

The idea was to be the opposite of the slick, intellectual production and avant garde experimentation of Sergeant Pepper and The White Album. The tracks are intimate, and were meant to be played live by four musos as if a garage band - back to fun and fundamentals. It was not recorded at Abbey Road but improvised desks dragged into a movie studio and the Apple building basement. That's its rough charm, it's like those MTV Unplugged sessions we used to watch in the 1990s, except the tracks are being improvised on the spot. There were meant to be no overdubs, so originally Lennon's mediocre bass playing happened over the two Paul piano ballads. Several tracks are completely live from rehearsal, and Phil Spector even included some of the banter between songs.

So, these sessions yield great loose tracks like Two Of Us and I've Got A Feeling, but some of the greatest songs in pop history: Across The Universe (one of John's most beautiful melodies), The Long And Winding Road, Let It Be, and of course, Get Back itself - the documentary catches the extraordinary two minutes where this goes from a McCartney strumming pattern, Ringo kicks in and gives it a backbeat groove, and suddenly, there's the song. Try not to nod your head to it!

We also hear songs that are started but not completed within the three weeks, so they become iconic songs on later Beatles and solo albums: Jealous Guy, All Things Must Pass, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Octopus' Garden and others that appear in the medley of Abbey Road. The creative burst is huge, but by September, it's all over, John left the band.

Last edited by clackers; 02-19-2022 at 04:47 PM.
02-20-2022, 05:46 AM   #9260
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is interesting that some artists and producers prefer to track each instrument separately, and other prefer a "live" studio setting. I can understand the appeal of both. Musicians will play off of each other and the whole becomes great than the sum of its parts.

Then again, there is also a solo a capelle choice
02-20-2022, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #9261
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mention above of the great band Spoon led me to seek out this set from their earlier Hot Thoughts album.

02-20-2022, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #9262
Pentaxian

Tender Prey by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

---------- Post added 02-20-22 at 01:17 PM ----------

That what they might consider a failure by their high standards is extraordinary.
I dunno. Across the Universe, Two of Us, Get Back and Let It Be.
Everything else is pretty much embarrassing, in my opinion, by any band's standards. But thats music for ya: we all hear it differently

02-20-2022, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #9263
Pentaxian

I haven't listened to much lately except the new documentary on Get Back which was amazing. Today I was turned onto Playing for Change. When I heard about the John Paul Jones all star version of When the Levee Breaks, I was compelled to watch after seeing Plant and Kraus play it in New Orleans a little over a year after Katrina. I am binge watching/listening now.

Stand by Me hit home because Jackson Square was the center of my life for 12 years and Washboard Chazz and myself had several casual conversations.

02-20-2022, 03:30 PM   #9264
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Waffles Quote
I dunno. Across the Universe, Two of Us, Get Back and Let It Be.
Everything else is pretty much embarrassing, in my opinion, by any band's standards. But thats music for ya: we all hear it differently
Obviously, Waffles!

Experts disagree:

"The album includes some of their finest songs such as ‘Across The Universe,’ ‘Let It Be,’ ‘The Long and Winding Road,’ ‘Get Back’ and the Harrison-penned ‘I Me Mine.’ It also includes ‘Dig It,’ one of two studio-recorded songs credited to Lennon/McCartney/Harrison/Starkey. There were 7 in total, the other 5 being outtakes, B-sides and the post-humous single, ‘Free As A Bird.’ Arguably the sound of a band breaking up, although Peter Jackson’s upcoming documentary would have you believe otherwise. Even at their most fractured, The Beatles were still better than all the rest."

https://www.rs500albums.com/350-301/342
02-20-2022, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #9265
Pentaxian

Haelos live set on KEXP thanks to the YouTube rabbit hole!

02-20-2022, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #9266
Pentaxian

Peter Jackson’s upcoming documentary would have you believe otherwise. Even at their most fractured, The Beatles were still better than all the rest."

https://www.rs500albums.com/350-301/342
Upcoming? Watching it I think this was just that small nick in the windshield/windscreen that is no big deal but soon becomes a huge spread of cracks you can't see through. While doing Get Back they have much of Abbey Road and even the White Album progressing. I think calling this the point of break up is like calling the point of pressing the shutter on a 2-year photo the time the photo was taken.

OK now I wonder what a long exposure has in the exif of time created. My exif is down to the second. Is it the release or close of the shutter? Let's synchronize our cameras and find out.
02-20-2022, 08:02 PM   #9267
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

02-22-2022, 07:22 AM   #9268
Pentaxian

The Departed - Mark it Wrong

Great song but the sound is pretty ordinary on this video.

(From the album 'Adventus' if you want to hear a better quality, studio version. I couldn't find this on YT but it might be on Spotify or something.)

02-22-2022, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #9269
Veteran Member

I have been listening to a lot of the Sadies since Dallas Died of a heart attack at 49 on Friday. My favourite Canadian banc of the last probably 30 years. Endlessly talented always great live and Dallas was a fantastic person

02-23-2022, 06:06 AM   #9270
Veteran Member

still listening to the Sadies. This was a great show glad I saw it - and it led to them doing an album with him in 2012