Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5825 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #931
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Just to mess up the statistics:
Double concertos from Vivaldi, an album by the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin
Ah, I miss one of my favorite Vivaldi performances. I had it on a cassette which I lost, (unfortunately, it was never well-labeled, so I don't recall who did it,) But I used to put some Classical in a few pretty unlikely mixes.

11-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #932
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Bizarre Love Triangle. there are several versions of this song. I believe a lot of the 80's music have several edition which makes them cool and interesting and never get tired off.
On the other hand none have improved on the original.

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit."

"You know, you're a real 'up' person."

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
At the time, I only had a copy of a Joy Division version, but I always thought they started off prettiest
Perfect example of my claim above. The version you reference is one the band re-recorded, not the version they released initially as a single. When the original came out people wept in the streets. One reviewer for a major music paper did not bother with analysis but simply confessed to crying all the way through it.

This version, on the other hand, sucks. It is weak, sanitised and stripped of emotion.

So now you have the inestimable pleasure of tracking down the version that changed so many lives. With the massive "In a Lonely Place" as the b-side.

The next single, "Procession" was just about as good. Then started the long slide into disco, but not before many amazing songs were released.
11-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #933
Vil
Inactive Account

I just found this great House tune

11-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #934
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
as far as New Order is concerned, this one is a classic >>>

Bizarre Love Triangle. there are several versions of this song. I believe a lot of the 80's music have several edition which makes them cool and interesting and never get tired off.
Speaking of New Order, this alternate video for Round and Round featuring only 1 model (the original video featured several) is breathtaking in that it's pretty much just an entire moving headshot of Patty de Silva. She is so sexy with those simple looks to the camera, and the twisting of the head.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVYL14_LMOE[/YT]

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Cover of an old favorite that I want to be like experiencing live right now.
Here's another cover of Running Up That Hill that I like:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUQaocQCMTs[/YT]

11-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #935
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Here's another cover of Running Up That Hill that I like
Good God, why do people bother? The original is sublime.

(I am sure folk say the same about my cover versions. And they are right.)
11-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #936
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh yeah sorry, every time I check this thread I post what I am listening to. That way I am at least making a positive contribution occasionally.

"5 Pieces" -- Hear
"Therapy" -- Khate
"Nowhere Fast" -- Girls At Our Best
11-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #937
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Good God, why do people bother? The original is sublime.

(I am sure folk say the same about my cover versions. And they are right.)
Some songs are just hard to cover, that way. I don't know if that means they should be frozen. Likely the original'll be the one with staying power, anyway.

But I think Faith and the Muse is allowed. They apparently do it live a lot.

On 'Ceremony,'

QuoteQuote:
Perfect example of my claim above. The version you reference is one the band re-recorded, not the version they released initially as a single. When the original came out people wept in the streets. One reviewer for a major music paper did not bother with analysis but simply confessed to crying all the way through it.
I actually obtained some import collection of old singles on cassette (Not very good quality cassette, unfortunately: I recall having to kind of crank my cheap stereo to play it in the car. A lot of less-polished stuff on there. It was pretty expensive for the time, too. Ah, well. )

11-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #938
Veteran Member

the initial version is on the joy division box set cd (which i broke down and bought despite having 95% of it on vinyl) by far my favourite band at the time, my band was in this vein but nowhere near as good (not the least of which is because i made Sid look like jocko pastorius)
11-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #939
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eddie: If you are saying that you had a band around this time in Toronto in the JD vein then I wonder if I heard you?

If you are looking for the original new Order version of "Ceremony", it can be found on the FAC 33 single, released in March 1981 in a gold / bronze sleeve. It also came out as a 12" in two different sleeve designs.

"Ceremony" was re-recorded and re-issued in September but only as a 12", using the same two designs as previously. So you can't tell which version of the song you'll get judging from the outside.

Through all the compilations and box sets the inferior second version was used until the CD compilation "Singles". This also made available on CD for the first time other early original single versions (namely "Everything's Gone Green" and "Temptation").
11-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #940
Veteran Member

Well, I was listening to something else, but then I came into this thread and seen the talk about Joy Division. So, now I have clicked over to the entire "Still" album.
11-24-2010, 12:21 AM   #941
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

I discovered Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers in the summer of 1989. They were the soundtrack to that year for me, along with Daydream Nation (Sonic Youth) and Doolittle (Pixies!!)

I always thought this song was hilarious, but wonderful in it's extreme geekyness:

I'm Straight

I, called this number three times already today.
But I got scared, I put it back in place.
(I put my phone back in place)
I sure don't know if I should have called up.
Look just tell me if I'm out of place.

'Cause here's your chance to make me feel awkward.
And wish that I had never even called up this place.
I saw you though today, you know, walk by with Hippie Johnny.
I had to call up and say, how I want to take his place.

So this phone call today concerns Hippie Johnny.
He's always stoned. He's never straight.
I saw you today, you know walk by with Hippie Johnny.
Look, I had to call up to say, how I want to take his place.

See, he's stoned.
Hippie Johnny.
Now get this, I'm Straight, and I want to take his place.
Now look, I like him too.
(I like him...)
Hippie Johnny.
But I'm Straight, and I want to take his place.
I'm Straight.
I said I'm Straight.
I'm proud to say...
Well, I'm Straight and I want to take his place.

Now I've watched you, walk around here. I've watched you meet
With boyfriends(I know) and you tell me how they're deep.
Look but, I think...If these guys, if they're really so great,
Tell me why can't they at least take this place, and take it straight?

Why always stoned,
Like Hippie Johnny is?
I'm straight, and I want to take his place.

I'm certainly not stoned,
Like Hippie Johnny is.
I'm Straight, and I want to take his place.
I'm Straight.
I said I'm Straight.
I'm...
I'm Straight, and I want to...
(Alright, all you Modern Lovers, What is it?)

I'm Straight!
(Tell the world now).
I'm Straight!
(That's it).
I'm Straight!
(Yeah).
I'm Straight, and I want to take his place.

--->

Last edited by jsherman999; 11-24-2010 at 12:29 AM.
11-24-2010, 05:58 AM   #942
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Eddie: If you are saying that you had a band around this time in Toronto in the JD vein then I wonder if I heard you?

If you are looking for the original new Order version of "Ceremony", it can be found on the FAC 33 single, released in March 1981 in a gold / bronze sleeve. It also came out as a 12" in two different sleeve designs.

"Ceremony" was re-recorded and re-issued in September but only as a 12", using the same two designs as previously. So you can't tell which version of the song you'll get judging from the outside.

Through all the compilations and box sets the inferior second version was used until the CD compilation "Singles". This also made available on CD for the first time other early original single versions (namely "Everything's Gone Green" and "Temptation").
we sucked, it got better after i left the band and someone who could actually play stepped in, we're you in Toronto then? if you hung around the punk scene (for lack of a better name) then we probably met. I was in the band in 80 actually. The Atomics. only gigs I played locally were a speak and yonge station (where they sent us packing after the first night of 3 for some reason the metal crowd didn't like us). I used to be part of the viletones crowd (still am largely see most of the still living on a regular basis)
BTW I have the single (if I'm not mistaken I have pretty much everything they put out - Wish I'd kept my ticket for the canceled show at the edge rather than cashing it in for the whopping $4 it was worth)

I just looked at your website, looks like you've been up to some very interesting stuff. The only people i really knew from London On at he time we're the guys from the Demics (Kieth was one of my best friends, unfortunately he passed away a few years ago)

Oh yeah I also have a Copy of Dalek I Love You "Compass Kumpas" nice article

Last edited by eddie1960; 11-24-2010 at 06:07 AM.
11-24-2010, 07:03 AM   #943
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ha! Small world or something. I only vaguely remember meeting Keith and knew, on a casual basis, people from several other groups from the London-Guelph-Toronto corridor... Sheep Look Up, Vital Sines, The Weathermen, Mettle, Kinetic Ideals... Spiny Anteaters later on. I was involved with community radio but quite a lot more shy than now. Nonetheless interviewed Modern English, OMD, China Crisis, Simple Minds, saw Bauhaus on their first tour, etc. I fondly recall the glory days on Queen West when everyone was either in a band, a theatre company, was writing a book or something.

Now it's all Gap stores and Starbucks. But OCAD sure looks amazing!

I never lived in Toronto but sure went to some cool parties there!
11-24-2010, 07:23 AM   #944
Veteran Member

queen is just a lot further west now, parkdale has lots going on, and ossington has exploded
It really started on Queen E (probably before your time) the first Punk clothing shop New Rose was queen and parliament
I've done some still work on a never ending documentary that you can read about on this blog

The Last Pogo Jumps Again

I've seen Bauhaus numerous times the first time was at the Edge, the last was a couple of years ago they are much tamer now but aren't we all
Saw OMD first tour through as well (along with too many bands to name really)
And yeah there were some great parties (particularly the illegal after hours places, i helped run one for a while and we had the heartbreakers play for favors rendered so to speak - Johnny was a great guy and I saw Walter a month back in London so that's got me to listening to this

Last edited by eddie1960; 11-24-2010 at 07:28 AM.
11-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #945
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Sounds pretty intriguing, Chris, though I can only hear pieces of the songs from that website. Happy Thanksgiving, btw, everyone. I may be scarce.