Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5831 Likes Search this Thread
08-09-2017, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #3346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Floggin Roger - I was at the Yes/Jethro Tull concert back in the spring of 1971 during their first North American tour. Blew me away. I cried when Chris Squire fell to leukemia in 2015. Glad to hear their music carries on.

08-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #3347
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, not *those* Eagles...

The Maigret Theme by The Eagles, 1962

Another great early 1960's British guitar band in the vein of The Shadows.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 01-06-2019 at 01:52 PM.
08-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #3348

Photos: Albums
Jackson C. Frank - Marcy's song
08-14-2017, 02:16 AM   #3349
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
My tastes and likes can be and usually are, all over the place but right now listening to Annie Staninec, tho primarily known as an amazing fiddle player this is another side of her talent. She only has one cd released so far and virtually no official videos but we can hope some day. Anyways here's one for you all showcasing her on the Banjo in the old clawhammer style, think she nailed both the feel and sound of this song. Had the unexpected pleasure of hearing her for the first time over 10 years back by accident at a street fair and was amazed by her. Later on I ran into her that day and we wandered around a bit and chatted, very down to earth and humble.
Annie Staninec - Banjo Pickin' Girl - YouTube
Wow! Thank you for re-introducing me to Annie Staninec. I checked her out on youtube and realised that I'd seen her before on some of my late-night rambles though the best bits of youtube. Orange Blossom Special from 2009 is one of them. Can't find her CD on Amazon. I will persist.

At the moment there's something vaguely Mozart coming up from two levels below that my wife put on. Our house is on a steep block and there's a lot of stair climbing.

Most of my listening is in the car from the iPod. I've been listening to Elizabeth Cooke and Sierra Hull. Willie Nelson, of course, and Charey Pride. Cerys Matthews is a favourite. Listen to her "TIR" album. If you don't speak Welsh, you won't understand a word on most of the tracks. But that doesn't matter ... beautiful traditional songs. I bought "Young in all the wrong ways" by Sara Watkins last year and I've been listening to that a lot. And Chris Thile, of course. Alison Krauss and Alison Brown are in there. Rhiannon Giddens doesn't just have the world's best cheekbones, she's brilliant.

I'm not just obsessed by American roots music, I also like "The Waifs". Vikki Thorn has a voice.

Regards,
Richard.

08-14-2017, 10:14 AM - 3 Likes   #3350

Jimi Hendrix 'Voodoo Child' (Slight Return)

08-14-2017, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #3351
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Wow! Thank you for re-introducing me to Annie Staninec. I checked her out on youtube and realised that I'd seen her before on some of my late-night rambles though the best bits of youtube. Orange Blossom Special from 2009 is one of them. Can't find her CD on Amazon. I will persist.

At the moment there's something vaguely Mozart coming up from two levels below that my wife put on. Our house is on a steep block and there's a lot of stair climbing.

Most of my listening is in the car from the iPod. I've been listening to Elizabeth Cooke and Sierra Hull. Willie Nelson, of course, and Charey Pride. Cerys Matthews is a favourite. Listen to her "TIR" album. If you don't speak Welsh, you won't understand a word on most of the tracks. But that doesn't matter ... beautiful traditional songs. I bought "Young in all the wrong ways" by Sara Watkins last year and I've been listening to that a lot. And Chris Thile, of course. Alison Krauss and Alison Brown are in there. Rhiannon Giddens doesn't just have the world's best cheekbones, she's brilliant.

I'm not just obsessed by American roots music, I also like "The Waifs". Vikki Thorn has a voice.

Regards,
Richard.
try this link for an mp3 cd purchase lhttps://www.amazon.com/Annie-Staninec/dp/B01B8UUDM0/ref=sr_1_1?tag=pentaxforums-20&ie=UTF8&qid=1502744386&sr=8-1&keywords=Annie+Staninec and for a physical cd try thru her website at Annie Staninec
08-14-2017, 11:03 PM   #3352
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
try this link for an mp3 cd purchase lhttps://www.amazon.com/Annie-Staninec/dp/B01B8UUDM0/ref=sr_1_1?tag=pentaxforums-20&ie=UTF8&qid=1502744386&sr=8-1&keywords=Annie+Staninec and for a physical cd try thru her website at Annie Staninec
Thanks for the link. CD ordered.

<added later>
I went for a youtube journey with Annie Staninec. She seems to have a lot of fun playing music, but I think that I might have more fun just listening and watching. Then there was a link to the Hillbilly Gypsies. I hadn't taken a journey with them for a few years. Jamie Lynn is great.

Last edited by RichardS; 08-15-2017 at 01:38 AM.
08-15-2017, 06:20 AM - 2 Likes   #3353
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Thanks for the link. CD ordered.

<added later>
I went for a youtube journey with Annie Staninec. She seems to have a lot of fun playing music, but I think that I might have more fun just listening and watching. Then there was a link to the Hillbilly Gypsies. I hadn't taken a journey with them for a few years. Jamie Lynn is great.
wow that's awesome, glad to have been able to help you find her CD as a side note, this is a poor cell phone video of her playing but this is the band I first saw/heard her playing with....
08-15-2017, 07:58 AM - 4 Likes   #3354
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My son makes me proud in a lot of ways but even with his musical taste! He is 14 so if he was a regular 14 year old and I was a regular 46 year old we would hate each other's musical tastes. But somehow he doesn't care for what a lot of his peers listen to and is into deeper, less pop-oriented stuff. This morning when I left the house he was listening to The Wall which got it into my head and now I'm having a listen at the office.
Good themes for these crazy times too.
08-15-2017, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #3355
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Floggin Rodger Quote
Going to Yestival on Fri. !!!!

YesSongs #5: YES - Close To The Edge - YouTube
Hope it was fun!

I saw them years ago and Chris Squire brought out a triple-necked bass guitar. Very Spinal Tap.

When South African wunderkind Trevor Rabin joined the band he brought along several pop songs he'd written previously. One ended up a hit that at least gave a new generation the chance to become aware of these Dinosaurs of Rock.

08-16-2017, 11:56 AM - 2 Likes   #3356
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From Steven Wilson's upcoming album...

08-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #3357

I am keen on piano, i will save my money to learn...
08-19-2017, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #3358

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Hope it was fun!

]
Thanks! The first show of a tour has a special excitment but can have unexpected quirks. A quick reveiw..... It was great to see Carl Palmer still in good shape . He did a short set of instumental versions of ELP favorites with a couple young musicians. Bass player was superb!
Todd's set had numerous production tech issues and his vocals were blown out at the board a few times. He was nocitably upset , rightfully so because alot went into the very slick production. I always had a special place in my heart for his music so I tried to ignore his political cause celebre'. Some of his new stuff has a real nice funky vibe and they pulled off This Is Not A Drill well even w/o Satch. For encores he did an arangement of Hello It's Me that sounded a bit Holliday Inn loungish but came back for the final encore with a wonderful redition of Just One Victory. Yes did a set with one song from each of their albums. Steve Howe seemed to struggle at first but by the third song was right there.Jon Davison doesn't have the range or power of Jon Anderson but covered the part pretty well. Billy Sherwood was excellent on bass and Geoff Downes was wonderful on keys. They had Steve Howe's son and Alan White on drums which worked out very nicely. Yours Is No Disgrace and South Side Of The Sky were spot on. And You And I took me back to a special moment in my early days but was soon ruined by the drunk behind me trying to sing. I was with my sons and a buddy from those early days who wisely wouldn't let me roll the drunk down the hill. All in al I'm very glad that we went and would recomend this show to anyone fortunate enough to be able to go. Cheers!
08-20-2017, 01:54 AM   #3359
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Floggin Rodger Quote
Thanks! The first show of a tour has a special excitment but can have unexpected quirks. A quick reveiw..... It was great to see Carl Palmer still in good shape . He did a short set of instumental versions of ELP favorites with a couple young musicians. Bass player was superb!
Todd's set had numerous production tech issues and his vocals were blown out at the board a few times. He was nocitably upset , rightfully so because alot went into the very slick production. I always had a special place in my heart for his music so I tried to ignore his political cause celebre'. Some of his new stuff has a real nice funky vibe and they pulled off This Is Not A Drill well even w/o Satch. For encores he did an arangement of Hello It's Me that sounded a bit Holliday Inn loungish but came back for the final encore with a wonderful redition of Just One Victory. Yes did a set with one song from each of their albums. Steve Howe seemed to struggle at first but by the third song was right there.Jon Davison doesn't have the range or power of Jon Anderson but covered the part pretty well. Billy Sherwood was excellent on bass and Geoff Downes was wonderful on keys. They had Steve Howe's son and Alan White on drums which worked out very nicely. Yours Is No Disgrace and South Side Of The Sky were spot on. And You And I took me back to a special moment in my early days but was soon ruined by the drunk behind me trying to sing. I was with my sons and a buddy from those early days who wisely wouldn't let me roll the drunk down the hill. All in al I'm very glad that we went and would recomend this show to anyone fortunate enough to be able to go. Cheers!
What a lineup and what a night, Rodger!

I like when things get changed or go wrong, it all adds to the experience for me. I don't want the songs to be replicas of the recordings.

I had Yessongs on vinyl, then cassette, then CD, BTW ... I have a real weakness for it.

08-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #3360
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
What a lineup and what a night, Rodger!

I like when things get changed or go wrong, it all adds to the experience for me. I don't want the songs to be replicas of the recordings.

I had Yessongs on vinyl, then cassette, then CD, BTW ... I have a real weakness for it.

Same, here. Pity the lyric sheet not included with the CD, as my vinyl copy is long gone.

In the 80s I once rented the VHS footage of the Close To The Edge tour but couldn't find it when I later wanted to buy it, only found an edited version which I still have
(same story with a Gary Newman concert, not sure which one, but no luck finding it).

In my view, Yes were at their peak during that tour.

Last edited by Nakedgun; 08-21-2017 at 10:14 PM.