Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #3661
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really digging The Pineapple Thief lately - the "Your Wilderness" album is getting a lot of spins here. Here's an acoustic version of "Tear You Up". A new CD is out soon, too

07-04-2018, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #3662
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From 1994, this would be my favorite Underworld CD, and the Thing In A Book track is certainly on the "desert island" list:

07-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #3663

Currently looking for more interesting math rock artists that scratch the itch like Chon, Enemies, Yvette Young etc., and found this group. Interesting mix of math rock and almost R&B (according to Spotify at least), but I get a somewhat pop vibe from it in parts.
07-12-2018, 03:11 AM - 2 Likes   #3664
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My impression of what it was like to be thirteen in the States in the Sixties relies heavily on this song.

These guys were never successful, but everyone wanted to be them, from REM to Husker Du to The Bangles.

07-12-2018, 02:16 PM - 2 Likes   #3665
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The past few days I've been letting YouTube choose what I listen to. What it knows about me is based on random times a song pops in my head and I have a hankering to hear it so I head to the 'Tube. The range it's been feeding me is broad, I just heard Cindi Lauper's Time After Time, and now I'm onto:

It's pretty awesome.
07-12-2018, 02:26 PM - 2 Likes   #3666
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
The range it's been feeding me is broad, I just heard Cindi Lauper's Time After Time, and now I'm onto:
So what you're saying is we need Cyndi to replace James Hetfield in Metallica and then you only need to listen to one band, Brian!
07-12-2018, 02:47 PM - 2 Likes   #3667
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
So what you're saying is we need Cyndi to replace James Hetfield in Metallica and then you only need to listen to one band, Brian!
I can't tell you how amazing that would be! Alas, I had a quick google, and it looks like she's never even covered Metallica.

Conversely, Metallica also has not covered Cindi. At least nothing they've recorded and released. I can only assume that, when circumstances dictate, the Metallica boys have belted out Girls Just Want to Have Fun. If they haven't, they are better men than I.

07-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #3668
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I can only assume that, when circumstances dictate, the Metallica boys have belted out Girls Just Want to Have Fun. If they haven't, they are better men than I.
(Laughs)

If there was ever footage of Kirk Hammett in a billowing pastel dress and neon hair band, his lawyers have confiscated it.
07-13-2018, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #3669
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A friend of mine just played a set recreating Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus album with this guy, Cris Jacobs at High Sierra last weekend.
He sent me this video to introduce me to his music.
07-13-2018, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #3670

Esme Patterson

07-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #3671

Arch Enemy - The World is Yours

It just came up on Youtube, never heard of them until a few minutes ago
07-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #3672
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another Underworld favorite from what, to me, was their most creative period '92 - '96, a portion of it can also be heard during the nightclub scene in the Cameron Crowe-directed "Vanilla Sky" film.
This video was an Underworld release.

07-16-2018, 12:02 AM   #3673
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was broadcast live on YouTube - myself and the Good Mrs Micro were in the audience.

07-16-2018, 01:00 AM - 3 Likes   #3674
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Was just comparing Johnny Cash's interpretation of "Hurt" to Nine Inch Nails' original. They tell two very different stories.

The Wikipedia article on the song says '[Trent] Reznor praised Cash's interpretation of the song for its "sincerity and meaning", going as far as to say "that song isn't mine anymore." '
07-24-2018, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #3675
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here’s one for @bertwert

Today is the birthday of the great John Newton (1725–1807), the English Anglican clergyman who once served as a sailor in the Royal Navy and later as the captain of slave ships.

Eventually he was “saved” and he became ordained as an evangelical Anglican cleric, serving Olney, Buckinghamshire for two decades. He opposed the slave trade, allying with William Wilberforce, leader of the Parliamentary campaign to abolish it. He lived to see the British passage of the Slave Trade Act in 1807.

He is perhaps most famous for writing hymns, including the ever-popular Amazing Grace and Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken. Let’s all take a moment.

I actually own military pipe and drum albums and listen to them straight through. Maybe that’s why I like traditional instrumental country and bluegrass also. It’s based mostly on Scots / Irish Appalachian folk music, from the same heritage as the military tattoo.