03-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #4352
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Black Sabbath
03-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #4353
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From The Ninth Wave,Kate Bush’s finest work (IMHO)

03-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #4354
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If you haven't seen it, you might like this docco, Monochrome. Mrs M might want to do something else while it's on, though:
Just watched it the other night with my 18 yr old niece - she was digging it

03-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #4355
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I heard this recently, but I'm not sure where... Anyway, I looked it up from a snip of the lyrics, and since I found it, I can't stop listening to it. Such beautiful song-writing, both musically and lyrically...

03-15-2019, 06:39 PM   #4356
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
RIP Keith Flint. Club music has a problem - if you pay to see a gig in a theatre or stadium, are you really shelling out dollars to see one guy push various buttons on his laptop and controllers?

Orbital solved it with a big lightshow, Liam Howlett of The Prodigy by hiring three dancers, one of whom proved charismatic and was given the microphone for the epic Fat of the Land album.
Honestly, I'm terribly sad about Keith. He was a genuinely nice bloke, and very different from his image (even discounting his recent quieter lifestyle). The Prodigy were pioneering in bringing the whole club and rave thing to a wider audience.

On the subject of club music and large-scale gigs...

I was involved in the dance music scene of the late 80s to early 90s... not at the level of big festivals and huge raves, but rather underground clubs and warehouse events, all in London. Here in the UK (and I can only suspect other places too) it was, I think, a way for people to deal with the angst of the time. A large part of the culture was the togetherness and "love" (perhaps not unlike the 60s that I missed but my parents experienced). The average club or warehouse rave event and all of the great up-beat music involved promoted a huge sense of belonging between everyone present. As I implied, I wasn't deeply into it, but was willingly involved in some of it - the smaller, more intimate aspects - and some of my best early-adulthood memories are from those times.

And so to the large-scale gigs...

I think it's less about going to see someone from that time "play", as wanting them to recreate the feelings and emotions of those heady days. As such, the on-stage performance - not musically, but the "charisma", whipping up of the crowd, and (as you suggested with Orbital) the accompanying technical show - is key. But any folks who cut their social teeth on that era will make up for anything missing in such gigs through enthusiasm and togetherness with others in the crowd...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-16-2019 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Too much info :p
03-15-2019, 11:19 PM   #4357
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Honestly, I'm terribly sad about Keith. He was a genuinely nice bloke, and very different from his image (even discounting his recent quieter lifestyle). The Prodigy were pioneering in bringing the whole club and rave thing to a wider audience.

On the subject of club music and large-scale gigs...

I was involved in the dance music scene of the late 80s to early 90s... not at the level of big festivals and huge raves, but rather underground clubs and warehouse events, all in London. Here in the UK (and I can only suspect other places too) it was, I think, a way for people to deal with the angst of the time. A large part of the culture was the togetherness and "love" (perhaps not unlike the 60s that I missed but my parents experienced). The average club or warehouse rave event and all of the great up-beat music involved promoted a huge sense of belonging between everyone present. As I implied, I wasn't deeply into it, but was willingly involved in some of it - the smaller, more intimate aspects - and some of my best early-adulthood memories are from those times.

And so to the large-scale gigs...

I think it's less about going to see someone from that time "play", as wanting them to recreate the feelings and emotions of those heady days. As such, the on-stage performance - not musically, but the "charisma", whipping up of the crowd, and (as you suggested with Orbital) the accompanying technical show - is key. But any folks who cut their social teeth on that era will make up for anything missing in such gigs through enthusiasm and togetherness with others in the crowd...
Oh, that's quite a story, Mike!

I think another thing likeable about The Prodigy is that after all the commercial success of Fat of the Land, Howlett decided to revert to the more rootsy club styles you were familiar with, to the annoyance of company executives.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-16-2019 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Updated quoted post
03-16-2019, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #4358
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The last couple of days, I've been listening to Aimee Mann... She's written so many great songs, but these are two of my favourites:

03-16-2019, 04:19 PM - 2 Likes   #4359
dbs
Pentaxian

Atom Heart Mother --- Pink Floyd
03-17-2019, 06:43 AM   #4360
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Handel, Dvorak ...

Last edited by Derek; 03-17-2019 at 07:12 AM.
03-17-2019, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #4361
Veteran Member

Thrice: Palms. Good stuff.
Loved the Tubes reference! Those guys were wild live and could really play. I thought that "She's a beauty " would be their biggest hit.
03-17-2019, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #4362
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

03-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #4363
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nakedgun, I saw your name and expected Enrico Polotzo singing the Star Spangled Banner. 😀
03-17-2019, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #4364
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Thrice: Palms. Good stuff.
Loved the Tubes reference! Those guys were wild live and could really play. I thought that "She's a beauty " would be their biggest hit.
My profession that "White Punks on Dope" was their biggest hit was made with absolutely no data to back it up. I had the album with that song. Never saw this video until just the other night. Cracked me up. I'll have to go track down She's a Beauty and listen again.
03-17-2019, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #4365
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
My profession that "White Punks on Dope" was their biggest hit was made with absolutely no data to back it up. I had the album with that song. Never saw this video until just the other night. Cracked me up. I'll have to go track down She's a Beauty and listen again.
The album The Tubes "TRASH"( Has Their Rarities And Smash Hits) .