Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums

03-22-2020, 09:04 AM - 2 Likes   #6122
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
We recently got a new vehicle and as part of the deal we get Sirius for a free test period. We're not sure if we will get it , but I have to admit I am finding two Jazz stations broadcast some lovely music. The two stations are Watercolours and Classic Jazz. I find I usually go back and forth between these two stations while driving.

It's the kind of jazz I like...Earl Klugh, Herbie Hancock, etc. type stuff.
I was given an XM radio for Christmas, about 18 years ago. It has a dock and adapter and I ultimately put docks in all my vehicles, in my shop, and house, so I could move it everywhere I went. But after a few years I grew tired of the incessant badgering from XM to link my checking account for automatic payment of the subscription fees.

So I let it go for a few years.

Then I got a job driving a semi truck, dug it out, put a dock in the truck and began to use it again. It was awesome to be able to travel coast to coast, and from the Mexico border (it would work in Mexico too, but I won't drive there) to as far North as Saskatoon (and further too but that is the furthest North I ever got), and have nearly uninterrupted service. Sure, trees, mountains, buildings get in the way, and the signal drops off, but that is short lived and I can accept that. Having radio in the middle of the desert, or the Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba prairies is only possible with a satellite radio, as FM drops off to nothing at 75 to 100 miles from the broadcast towers.

At the time they still offered lifetime subscriptions. (Actually they offered them when I first got it but I thought that a couple hundred bucks was too much.) By the time I finally got around to buying a lifetime subscription the cost had more than tripled. Still, I figured if I was going to use it everyday, year after year, why not.

So I bought a lifetime subscription.

It took about 8 years for the lifetime subscription to pay for itself.

Now I have XM everywhere I go, the cars, the pickups, at home and in the shop. I like the convenience of being able to move it from one car to the other, and into the house or shop.

With no subscription fees.

The only downside is that the package I subscribed to is frozen in time. All the new features they came up with are not available to me. I cannot listen on a PC or mobile device for free. Any specials that come along are not included in the subscription.

The lifetime subscription is no longer available. I can understand why, as it is the subscription fees that pay for staffing and program content, equipment costs, and keeping the satellites up in orbit.
03-22-2020, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #6123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Having radio in the middle of the desert, or the Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba prairies is only possible with a satellite radio, as FM drops off to nothing at 75 to 100 miles from the broadcast towers.
Oh yes, I agree, especially as I listen to several programs on SiriusXM regularly, it is great to be able to listen no mater when I go. I should set up the online listening since I am home. My car has XM, at my house I use my 10 year old Sirius receiver with a "boombox" amplifier, and some channels aren't shared.

Appropriate to the topic
03-22-2020, 11:36 AM - 2 Likes   #6124
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Lately, some Megadeth

03-22-2020, 11:55 AM   #6125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I was given an XM radio for Christmas, about 18 years ago. It has a dock and adapter and I ultimately put docks in all my vehicles, in my shop, and house, so I could move it everywhere I went. But after a few years I grew tired of the incessant badgering from XM to link my checking account for automatic payment of the subscription fees.

So I let it go for a few years.

Then I got a job driving a semi truck, dug it out, put a dock in the truck and began to use it again. It was awesome to be able to travel coast to coast, and from the Mexico border (it would work in Mexico too, but I won't drive there) to as far North as Saskatoon (and further too but that is the furthest North I ever got), and have nearly uninterrupted service. Sure, trees, mountains, buildings get in the way, and the signal drops off, but that is short lived and I can accept that. Having radio in the middle of the desert, or the Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba prairies is only possible with a satellite radio, as FM drops off to nothing at 75 to 100 miles from the broadcast towers.

At the time they still offered lifetime subscriptions. (Actually they offered them when I first got it but I thought that a couple hundred bucks was too much.) By the time I finally got around to buying a lifetime subscription the cost had more than tripled. Still, I figured if I was going to use it everyday, year after year, why not.

So I bought a lifetime subscription.

It took about 8 years for the lifetime subscription to pay for itself.

Now I have XM everywhere I go, the cars, the pickups, at home and in the shop. I like the convenience of being able to move it from one car to the other, and into the house or shop.

With no subscription fees.

The only downside is that the package I subscribed to is frozen in time. All the new features they came up with are not available to me. I cannot listen on a PC or mobile device for free. Any specials that come along are not included in the subscription.

The lifetime subscription is no longer available. I can understand why, as it is the subscription fees that pay for staffing and program content, equipment costs, and keeping the satellites up in orbit.
Thanks for the info.

Funny you mention that you when you got a job as a truck driver, you got into XM in a bigger way, as you were on the road all the time. That's exactly what I said to my wife...when we first got this trial. I said if I had a job driving a class 8 truck or I was a traveling salesman...this would be perfect for me to while away the long hours on the road. I do like the XM, particularly the Jazz stations.

But the part of the equation that we are figuring out...is it something we want to invest in...as we are retired and generally only drive about half the days of the week. We do take long day trips...or a few multi day trips, but most of the time we wouldn't use it, unless we set it up in the house. Decisions, decisions, eh.

About 10 years ago, I bought a Grace radio and it isn't an XM radio, but it is an internet radio and I can get around 20,000 (according to the manual) stations that range from all the different BBC stations PBS, Jazz stations, classical music, classic rock, old coast to coast with Art Bell, etc. I do enjoy that.

You also mentioned having a lifetime XM subscription. Wished I had done that, as now sub rates are $ 17.99 CAD +. per month up here. Can get pricey and I also don't like the automatic sub system they use.

We first had a free XM trial when we bought our new Buick sedan in 2007. Then the free trial was a year long as opposed to the 3 month deal now. Think we could of bought a life time sub then, but not 100% sure.

Anyways I do like some of the XM programming and it is tempting.
03-22-2020, 12:05 PM   #6126
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
You also mentioned having a lifetime XM subscription. Wished I had done that, as now sub rates are $ 17.99 CAD +. per month up here. Can get pricey and I also don't like the automatic sub system they use.

We first had a free XM trial when we bought our new Buick sedan in 2007. Then the free trial was a year long as opposed to the 3 month deal now. Think we could of bought a life time sub then, but not 100% sure.
I bought my lifetime subscription around 2008 I think.

These days I listen to my iPod more than the XM, but still have the XM on almost everyday. At such time that my XM radio dies, it will cost about $75 to transfer to a new one, if they can still be found.

This is the one I have now, the Delphi Sky Fi:

03-23-2020, 06:57 AM   #6127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fir Tree Was Born In The Forest by The Spoilers from Russia

Chris

03-23-2020, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #6128
Veteran Member

Right now I am listening to silence.
I happen to know there is a composer who only wrote silence for a composition.
Must have been a genius.
03-23-2020, 08:56 AM   #6129
Veteran Member

Isolate and medicate by Seether. Even though I am at work the title seems to fit the times.
03-23-2020, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #6130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The word from the Governor of my fair state
03-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #6131
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Right now I am listening to silence.
I happen to know there is a composer who only wrote silence for a composition.
Must have been a genius.
This?

03-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #6132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That’s the one. There’s an orchestral version too.
03-23-2020, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #6133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
That’s the one. There’s an orchestral version too.
Also “cover versions” by artists as diverse as Frank Zappa,Depeche Mode and Goldfrapp
03-23-2020, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #6134
PDL
Pentaxian

I was Warned: Robert Cray: Album - I was Warned.
and now
I Will: Brandi Carlile: Live at Benaroya Hall with the Seattle Symphony
03-23-2020, 04:28 PM - 2 Likes   #6135
Pentaxian

I’m listening to a lot of Supertramp at present,for some reason it seems quite comforting