Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5825 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2020, 09:58 AM   #7006
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Porffor Quote
Blackberry smoke
Oh yeah. Here's the full concert video by Blackberry Smoke. They are old school southern rock, but they have their own sound

Last edited by robgski; 11-26-2020 at 10:04 AM.
11-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #7007
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rodcy Quote
Ah The Hissing of Summer Lawns, such an underrated album. Raise you in the Highbrow Stakes; have been listening to Mahler's 4th Symphony conductor Abbado.
Raise and call: Historic (Paris, 1932) recording of Ravel's Concerto in G maj, Marguerite Long at the piano, Ravel's fave pianist. Oh, and Ravel conducting....

And the hole card: Piano Concerto for the Left Hand (Amsterdam, 1937), with Paul Wittgenstein on piano, who commissioned the work.
11-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #7008
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The New York Rock and Soul Revue (Live at the Beacon)- Settling down to this and finishing off a nice bottle of chianti

Unusual album It's a double however only 3 sides of music and side 4 is a etching of the cover which I have never dusted hence the dust on the photo.

11-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #7009
dbs
Pentaxian

Pink Floyd - Meddle

11-27-2020, 02:24 AM   #7010
Veteran Member

Maxïmo Park - Our Earthly Pleasures.

I'm enjoying this thread as I'm listening to suggestions from other and going through my back catalogue of which there is plenty.

I'm really missing live music!

---------- Post added 11-27-20 at 02:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Pink Floyd - Meddle
The third album I owned.

The first was Man - Slow Motion. Second Yes - Close to the Edge

Funny how you remember things like this.
11-27-2020, 05:22 AM   #7011
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Raise and call: Historic (Paris, 1932) recording of Ravel's Concerto in G maj, Marguerite Long at the piano, Ravel's fave pianist. Oh, and Ravel conducting....

And the hole card: Piano Concerto for the Left Hand (Amsterdam, 1937), with Paul Wittgenstein on piano, who commissioned the work.
You don't win that easy Tex Prokofiev Piano Concerto No.4 (another left-sander) Ashkenazy with the LSO! Raise you with City Noir John Adams. What's a hole card by the way?

I'm enjoying this too. Nice to hear a wide range of tastes. For the jazz lovers have you seen this?
Davis and the sublime Coltrane
11-27-2020, 07:07 AM   #7012
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Time to lighten the tunes a bit. From "A Long Long Time Ago."

11-27-2020, 07:18 AM   #7013
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SimonC Quote
I'm really missing live music!
Oh, so am I! A friend and I made it a point to go to at least a few shows together every year if we lived in close proximity to each other. We managed to do this often over the last 30 years, until COVID. The last show we saw together was Iron Maiden in 2019, but at least that show was one to go out on, it was a truly over the top heavy metal experience, pyro, lights, incredible stage set ups, and the loudest show I have ever attended, well worth the price of admission.

Speaking of the price of admission, for those of you who go to see live music regularly, do you budget for it, or just spend as freely as you do on LBA?

I have a rough budget of US $300 annually, I'd rather see several bands over a year at $20-$75 a ticket than 1 awesome artist for $300 per ticket. The awesome artist has probably made some well deserved cash over the years and won't miss my presence.

I do appreciate a great performance in a massive arena, but I enjoy seeing the newer artists, or those that tour in smaller venues.

Not a live track, but I'm impressed that these guys had a Number 1 album despite being the zeitgeist of "rock is dead" Keep it up, hope to see these guys live.

Last edited by robgski; 11-27-2020 at 07:28 AM.
11-27-2020, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #7014
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another eponymous Album

She did have a relationship with Tom Waits and there are real similarities in their phrasing especially I think on this album and the second album Pirates. Or are my ears playing tricks on me.
11-27-2020, 07:56 AM   #7015
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luckylu Quote
there are real similarities in their phrasing especially I think on this album
Yes, though whether one influenced the other, or they had common interests that drew them together I do not know.

Her first album is great from start to finish. She certainly has her own style.
11-27-2020, 08:03 AM   #7016
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rodcy Quote
You don't win that easy Tex Prokofiev Piano Concerto No.4 (another left-sander) Ashkenazy with the LSO! Raise you with City Noir John Adams. What's a hole card by the way?

I'm enjoying this too. Nice to hear a wide range of tastes. For the jazz lovers have you seen this?
Miles Davis and John Coltrane, "So What," 1959 - YouTube
Davis and the sublime Coltrane
Good one. Although I'm not a Prokofiev fan. John Adams I like a lot, but Reich is by far my fave of that crew. A hole card is a card dealt face down in poker that only the recipient sees until the end, but it has connotations of being the secret or unrevealed(until the end) strength, somewhat like a trump card.

And there's some great historic videos on YouTube of jazz performances, as is this classic. In my mind, the high water mark of jazz was that period from the late '40's through the '60's. I once heard a musicologist refer to it as quintessential american chamber music. Prior to that swing was a little too tied to dance rhythms to be as expansive as it could be, imo, and often a little cumbersome due to the number of players, and dixieland also a bit constrained by form. After the '60's the experimentation seemed to go down dead ends or repeated itself, be a bit regressive, or be too closely aligned with R&R. The '80's/early '90's were interesting (a la Knitting Factory) but a lot of times kind of hipster quirky or affected. Have heard some individual players and performances in the last 25 years that were striking, but nothing like that 25 year period from about '45 to '70. Same deal with the visual arts in many ways as well....
11-27-2020, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #7017
Loyal Site Supporter

Samantha Fish

11-27-2020, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #7018
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Oh, so am I! A friend and I made it a point to go to at least a few shows together every year if we lived in close proximity to each other. We managed to do this often over the last 30 years, until COVID. The last show we saw together was Iron Maiden in 2019, but at least that show was one to go out on, it was a truly over the top heavy metal experience, pyro, lights, incredible stage set ups, and the loudest show I have ever attended, well worth the price of admission.

Speaking of the price of admission, for those of you who go to see live music regularly, do you budget for it, or just spend as freely as you do on LBA?

I have a rough budget of US $300 annually, I'd rather see several bands over a year at $20-$75 a ticket than 1 awesome artist for $300 per ticket. The awesome artist has probably made some well deserved cash over the years and won't miss my presence.

I do appreciate a great performance in a massive arena, but I enjoy seeing the newer artists, or those that tour in smaller venues.
No don't have a budget but being a bit tight I don't like paying a fortune to go watch a band (having said that I saw U2 in Brisbane last year). I live close to Manchester and it is probably second to London for have a lot of venues to choose from, consequently I get to watch music in all sorts of venues from tiny 200 to large 70,000 venues (Old Trafford Cricket Ground).

Like you I also enjoy new music from emerging bands and artists back on there way down again... example did a bit of video of Peter Perrett of The Only Ones

Sounds like we are similar in just liking music, the atmosphere and the social side. It doesn't have to be a big name!

11-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #7019
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A few sessions recorded for KEXP including this one by Ride

Last edited by timb64; 11-27-2020 at 03:56 PM.
11-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #7020
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Edward Mahoney