Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
having a laser eye surgery

just got back from an eye exam and going back again on tuesday for a final one. anyway, I'm considering on having a LASIK if it comes cheap or if it costs almost the same cost as to having a new pair of glasses. a new pair of glasses would cost me around 350-450 bucks. while a LASIK would be around from 1200-2400. though I heard that some clinics offer around 500 bucks for an eye. I don't know if that promo is true or they just want to catch some attention then jack up the price afterwards. I'm in Vancouver btw, so if anyone from around here could refer me to a cheap but reputable LASIK clinic, that would be just super. thanks !

08-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I don't think that one should cheap-out on laser eye surgery. I went with a reputable clinic that boasts they turn away more potential clients than they actually serve.

Mine cost $2300 four years ago and I have never regretted a dollar of it.
Considering that glasses and/or contacts were costing about $500 every 2 years might make it seem expensive; but I hope to live for many years! Considering that, the Lasik more than paid for itself.

I now need glasses for near vision, however, my far vision (recently tested for a change in my driving license) remains 20/15 - a step sharper than 20/20.
08-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

One of my photo-bosses from when I was an assistant said he would love to get Lasik, but that he can't risk it. Even though the chances for error are low, he would be putting his career on the line...
08-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I must admit I don't fancy having done myself.

08-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
just got back from an eye exam and going back again on tuesday for a final one. anyway, I'm considering on having a LASIK if it comes cheap or if it costs almost the same cost as to having a new pair of glasses. a new pair of glasses would cost me around 350-450 bucks. while a LASIK would be around from 1200-2400. though I heard that some clinics offer around 500 bucks for an eye. I don't know if that promo is true or they just want to catch some attention then jack up the price afterwards. I'm in Vancouver btw, so if anyone from around here could refer me to a cheap but reputable LASIK clinic, that would be just super. thanks !
I'll do it for you 1/2 of what they charge.
08-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
I'll do it for you 1/2 of what they charge.
are you in Vancouver?
08-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Inactive Account

If you trust your optometrist ask him/her whom they'd recommend to do Lasik surgery.

Bottom line - 100% satisfaction and no regrets.
You can't cheap out on your eyes.
It's like saying,"I need a heart surgery but I want it done at the cheapest place in the country."
It makes no sense.

Okay, maybe it's not the same but I've run out of analogies.

08-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is definitely something I wouldn't think I'd want to try cheaping out on... But if your eyeglass prescription costs 500 dollars, and you're still a candidate for it, I might be inclined to risk the surgery: I presume this means you're dealing with seriously-thick glasses all the time .

I admit it'd remove a big inconvenience from my photo life to have my little astigmatism cleared up, but not one which'd make me want to risk a botch job.
08-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As J. Scott already stated: get the opinions of people you trust. If you go with a reputable clinic, no worries. I had mine done several years ago - the custom lasik surgery.

I know some folks won't do it due to their job, etc., but it's made my photography so much easier, especially with spotting movement, etc. for wildlife work. My macro work is even better when it comes to MF...

I have 20/10 vision in the left eye, 20/15 in the right.
08-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #10
graphicgr8s

are you in Vancouver?
I could be. Travel expenses plus per diem.
08-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I had LASIK way back in the day, 1999.
It was horrifically expensive but my insurance covered it and I had one of the top 3 docs in the country.
So...even tho it was scary, I did it, (I was a young 20 something and reckless LOL).
Best decision I ever made!
My hubby got his done about 3 years ago, he loves it too.

But, its not for everyone, I would never tell anyone to do it if they weren't comfortable.
08-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
As J. Scott already stated: get the opinions of people you trust. If you go with a reputable clinic, no worries. I had mine done several years ago - the custom lasik surgery.

I know some folks won't do it due to their job, etc., but it's made my photography so much easier, especially with spotting movement, etc. for wildlife work. My macro work is even better when it comes to MF...

I have 20/10 vision in the left eye, 20/15 in the right.
can I have your vision?
08-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
I could be. Travel expenses plus per diem.
argh !!!
08-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #14
graphicgr8s

argh !!!
I'm a capitalist remember?

I'm not a doctor, but I play one in real life
08-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I had a similar experience to Marc, I have no trouble reading the bottom line on a standard eye chart post op (Aus $4k), making both eyes around 20:12 or so.

I went back to see my old optometrist this year, some ten years after having my eyes done, and she was amazed at the results. I must have been just lucky.

Anyway I've enjoyed sailing, surfing and hang gliding with the need for glasses. One downside is that my eyes are now more smoke sensitive than when wearing contact lenses. Another is using the money saved on optics to buy fancy cycling and flying sunglasses!

Anyway as others have stated, don't go cheap, go good and do everything you can to look after your eyes.

Of course age will still catch you up and eventually you will need glasses for reading.
D.

Last edited by Dale; 08-16-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Can't see well enough to correct errors