Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I wonder if this conversation would be happening if the industry that has been built around his memory and is making a fortune from making sure that he isn't forgotten didn't exist.
you forget that the "industry" as you put it tried to keep he and several of the other "Rock-a-Billy" guys down and ran them out of Nashville. Buddy Holly, J. Cash, Perkins, Orbison, Lewis etc. All but Holly were recorded by Sam Philips or the public may never have heard any of them.

Many of the rock-a-billy and blues guys had to buck the system to make it. That's why they are still around. Rock and roll has its roots into guys like Lead Belly, W.C. Handy, Hank Williams, Roger Wills, and Woody Guthrie as well. That's not a complete list of course.

08-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #32
Igilligan

Oh Blue

Truer words were never spoken...

The first true 'Rock Star' was Hank Williams... and like many others he was gone much too soon... Dead at 29 from morphine and alchohol.

And there were Rockabilly folks before Elvis... Many tended to lean towards county with their sound - Elvis took that Gospel sounds and blended it into rockabilly..

Plus he was purdy when he was young... that helps
08-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #33
Banned

so are we back to debating for the title of 'king' for Elvis? or are we talking competition for the title of the 'father' of rock?
08-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #34
Igilligan

Elvis is the King of Rockabilly... that much is true

And as far as I am concerned he was The King of Pop...

But what the records Elvis made for 75% of his career were not really Rock, at least not my definition... Tomato / Rockato whatever you wish...

08-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Elvis is the King of Rockabilly... that much is true

And as far as I am concerned he was The King of Pop...

But what the records Elvis made for 75% of his career were not really Rock, at least not my definition... Tomato / Rockato whatever you wish...
now that sounds like much more accurate of a title. bravo.
08-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #36
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
you forget that the "industry" as you put it tried to keep he and several of the other "Rock-a-Billy" guys down and ran them out of Nashville. Buddy Holly, J. Cash, Perkins, Orbison, Lewis etc. All but Holly were recorded by Sam Philips or the public may never have heard any of them.

Many of the rock-a-billy and blues guys had to buck the system to make it. That's why they are still around. Rock and roll has its roots into guys like Lead Belly, W.C. Handy, Hank Williams, Roger Wills, and Woody Guthrie as well. That's not a complete list of course.
I'm not talking about the record industry, I'm talking about Elvis Inc. that exists solely to keep him in the public eye and to line their own pockets.