Ben

05-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmmmm, very cool Ben !! Congrats !!! I wish i could read french, lol
05-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #3

they finally want something back for those free lenses

Congrats!
I do like the second serie lots of nice lightning details!

Last edited by Enrico L; 05-15-2007 at 03:11 PM.
05-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #4

University in Ottawa?

Hello Ben,

On the website they said that you attended "Carlton University". Isn't it supposed to be "Carleton University" in Ottawa? That's funny, I'm a student there...

Etienne

05-15-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Hmmmmm, very cool Ben !! Congrats !!! I wish i could read french, lol
The bablefish translation is - well - interesting. But you'll get the drift of what is written. Keep up the great work Ben!

Benjamin Kanarek was born and grew in Toronto - Canada -. After having explored several professional ways like that of beater in a group of rock'n'roll, it integrates the university of Carlton to follow studies of architecture there. The chances of the life end up bringing it to photography and he becomes thus the first Canadian photographer to photograph Kim Alexis for the cover of the magazine "Chatelaine". Then Benjamin goes to Los Angeles during one year before settling in New York where it will photograph Andi McDowell and It MacPherson for various magazines like very famous Vogue SA. The sirens of the mode attract it in Europe, in Milan more exactly where it will work for Cosmopolitan and Bazaar. After return tickets between Europe and Canada, it decides to settle in Paris where it works regularly for the largest magazines of mode like Vogue Italy, Vogue Paris, It, Cosmopolitan, Oyster magazine and well of others still like Tank magazine for which he recently published photographs for special a haute couture of Christian Lacroix. At the beginning of 2007 Benjamin Kanarek decides amongst other things to carry high the colors of PENTAX in the world of the mode while being equipped with the famous K10D. Benjamin Kanarek cumulates the talents since he is a also artistic director of "Wanda Prod" and type-setter for several artists French rock'n'roll. Benjamin Kanarek: an artist in perpetual movement...... like the life.
05-15-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More Like This..

I was born in Toronto, Canada, where I grew up. I was never quite sure what I wanted in life and fell in to many things by accident. I played drums in a few punk rock groups, one of which was called the "Existers" that was produced by John Cale and another called the "Poles" that had a semi successful hit called "Telex Love". In the subsequent time frame I entered Carleton University where I studied Architecture and my Prime subject being "Studies in Female Talent" (nudge nudge wink wink)....and went on to work in several companies including WZM&H who were best known for designing the CN Tower in Toronto. After a serious accident where after getting extremely drunk, as I am not a drinker and falling from a five meter mezzanine, I literally fell in to photography. My second ever shoot was an AD campaign in Toronto. I was the first Canadian photographer to ever shoot Kim Alexis for the cover of Chatelaine. After getting in to too much diplomatic trouble in Toronto, I moved to Los Angeles. I stayed in LA for just over a year and moved to New York. In NY I shot quite a few campaigns as well as the Dayton Hudsons Christmas book with Andi McDowell and Elle MacPherson to name a few. I shot several covers for Vogue SA. I found the scene in NY too commercial for my taste and moved to Milan. I starved...I did shoot for Bazaar and Cosmopolitan however. I came back to Toronto to make some money doing commercial stuff like Sears catalogue just to make enough money to get back to Europe. It was suggested that I try Paris. I found an apartment. After six weeks in Paris, I was given an opportunity to shoot the Haute Couture for L'Officiel. Since then I have been up and down and up the ladder.

Some of the magazines I have been published in include: L'Officiel, Vogue Italy,Vogue Paris, Vogue S.A., Elle(Spain, Portugal and Greece), New York Daily News Fashion, "W" magazine G.B., Womens Wear Daily, Cosmopolitan (France and Italy), Woman Magazine (Spain), Votre Beauty, Depeche Mode, Biba, Femme, Flare, Glamour (French),Chatelaine, 100 Cose, Harpers (Italy),Madame Figaro, Dealer Deluxe, Spoon, Oyster Magazine, Deutsch Magazine , All Access Magazine UK, ICON, Style Monte-Carlo and most recently a Special Haute Couture Christian Lacroix for "Tank" Magazine UK. Just shot a 6 page Beauty story for "Citizen K International"

I have my on-going exhibition of limited editions at Lumas Galleries Worldwide. I have recently been acquired by "Wanda Prod" as a commercial (publicité) film director and am composing Pop-Rock music for several artists in France...

Life is an ever changing ever fluxing ride...to be continued...

I guess this could be considered "Blowing out of my Proverbial A-S...."

Last edited by benjikan; 05-16-2007 at 11:06 AM.
05-15-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats, Ben. I really like the (almost but not quite) high key exposure and/or finish of those pictures!

05-16-2007, 01:34 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Great article Ben. What more can I say but WOW. Nice biography. Pentax really did you right, and you have done right by them.
05-16-2007, 01:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

They are amazing photos, Ben. I wished I could ever produce photos of that nature - so dazzling!
05-16-2007, 04:44 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Reading your bio reminds me of a time not too long ago when our new CEO was being introduced to the employees. The list of his previous positions and titles went on and on; president of this, chairman of the board of that, and so on. It was done in the spirit of being boastful but one of my co-workers didn't quite interpret it that way. He exclaimed in a rather loud whisper, "Sounds like he can't hold a steady friggin' job!"

You have done a lot of things Ben and that to me is a sign of a creative yet restless soul - and I hope you stay that way! Keep reinventing yourself and you will always keep moving forward. Your photographs express the passion you have for photography and I admire that spirit.
05-16-2007, 05:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Good stuff, thanks for sharing that Ben.
05-16-2007, 02:40 PM   #12
Inactive Account

The company will be so impressed with his work they will change the name to "Bentax".
05-16-2007, 05:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Nice collection of images Ben. You should submit a few of them to the Pentax Gallery.

Tim
05-17-2007, 12:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nah

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Nice collection of images Ben. You should submit a few of them to the Pentax Gallery.

Tim
Nah..Judges...Opinions...You know the old saying..Opinions are like A--Holes, everybody has one. I would love to judge the judges...
05-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #15

Ahhh punk rock....I got into punk in late 1979 here in Los Angeles. Been to many famous LA clubs...Cookoos Nest, Godzillas, Starwood, The Vex, Country Club, Devonshire Downs etc. I have seen some pretty cool bands over the years...Black Flag (Keith, Chavo, Dez and Henry), Red Cross, Circle Jerks, Discharge, Minor Threat Wasted Youth....

Still go to shows now and again..