Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
She gets no sympathy from me... and now with the latest charge of using another photographer's work, she is getting her just desserts.
FWIW, I didn't post this to elicit sympathy. The idea was a lesson to us not to let success go to our heads.

Early in the first article the writer posits that Liebovitz began to live like the subjects of her photos, but they have the incomes of rock stars, athletes and the truly WEALTHY. People Magazine celebrity worship is a fantasy we will never live.

We have to keep our perspective and our heads - and never, ever pledge our rights as collateral for a loan. If we get to that point, let the other stuff go.

I mean, REALLY, they're just houses.

09-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
She gets no sympathy from me... and now with the latest charge of using another photographer's work, she is getting her just desserts.
Well, for all we know, if there's anything to this, that photo was the end result of some kind of filing mistake by staff trying to cover for the general shambles or whatever. I'm not inclined to presume malice.

As for lifestyles of the rich and famous, well, dealing with celebrities often means a certain lifestyle is expected. Without *access* to all those celebrities, she's got not much as regards how she's made a name for herself.

As for things being 'just houses,' well, let's not forget the fact that all the financial experts were advising everyone to put their money in real estate for the duration of the bubble, and there was clearly a plan which went awry. Home's important to a lot of people.

Who knows, really. There's plenty of mediocre photographers who have better business sense than others. Not all those considered 'great' necessarily came with that expertise, and it seems a lot of people lost their shirts taking advice from 'experts.'
09-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #18

Well today is the day for her big loan to come due.....
Annie Leibovitz Faces a Loan Deadline - ArtsBeat Blog - NYTimes.com
09-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Update here

Leibovitz and creditors make a deal

Chris

09-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Hrm. It appears some of this has been more convoluted than it appeared. I was wondering how things got to such a jam-up, but if she wasn't actually contractually-able to sell the real estate, I suppose it explains a lot.