Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Best type of superglue?

Hey you guys, I have a problem to explain and a question.

I use this one glue called The Original Super Glue Fix-All Adhesive. This glue is gooey when wet, and it takes a long time to dry up. But that's not the problem because as long as it can hold up strong that's all it matters. But this glue doesn't hold up like I want it to. Super Glue Corporation | Super-Glue//Specialty Sealants | Fix-All Adhesive

When this glue dries up, it has a rubbery feel to it, it's hard and it holds but it feels rubbery and it when I apply it to a thin polished plastic thing it holds it together when dried. But I can bend it a bit, I can bend it because the glue dries up rubbery. When I bend it, the thin plastic snaps again and the glue tears off, supposedly because the surface of what I'm trying to glue is plastic and polished or something.

I need a superglue that dries up strong and thick without being rubbery. Do you guys know of any? I use to have this superglue a long long time ago but I forgot, it is watery and it dries fast, when it dries, it is as solid as rock and it can glue your fingers together really good. I need a type of glue that is like this or can hold as solid and strong as this.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks. I might go to Wal-Mart tomorrow and see if they have any.

08-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

jb-weld

that stuff can hold together an aluminum block at race temps....

apperantly it works on everything... but look into that.

any autoshop has it.
08-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends on the application. The materials and application should be used as a guideline for picking epoxy/glue.

Edit: You are correct that the plastic being polished is part of the problem. Perhaps take some fine sand paper to the glues surfaces.
08-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, will sand it out, and will check out jb weld.

08-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Damn Brit

I found the superglue gel to be very good. It holds my crown in much better than the traditional liquid superglue.
08-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

not sure the brand, but i use an epoxy.
08-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

This is the 500 lb gorilla of adhesives:

Plexus MA 310 High Strength Plastic Adhesive

Some polyethalene plastics will not bond with adhesives. They tend to be the thermal plastics, and no glue will hold them. Superglues need to be able to react chemically with the material to be bonded. Otherwise it will not hold.

JB weld is a two part epoxy based adhesive. It is also a crazy strong glue. But again, if the plastic if a high density polyethalene, it won't hold very well.

Any materials engineers on the forum?
08-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Epoxy's are a bit rubbery.

Gel. Trust me. Gel. But remember that pretty much all super glues have zero gap-filling capability; the surfaces must fit together. Gels give you more working time, and thus prevent the glue from drying when you've got the pieces touching, but not properly aligned.

DO NOT trust the pack times for setting. If it says something like five seconds, wait a full minute.

08-22-2009, 03:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Go to your local hobby / modeling store. They carry several types of the glue used for assembling plastic models that include gap filling and the super thin stuff that adheres instantly. Explain what you are trying to do or better yet, take it with you if you can, and they should be able to help you out.
08-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Depends on what type of plastic you are trying to glue as there are some types of plastic that superglue won't adhere to.
Read the label on the glue you intend to buy as it usually can't glue plastic (of a certain kind).
One of the things you can try on plastic is the rubber cement.
You have to dry both sides first though before you can meld them.
The one they use for shoes.
08-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
graphicgr8s

Most plastics are "glued" with solvent type glues. They actually melt the plastic together. If it's acrylic than you need a special solvent just for that. And that is usually applied with a hypodermic needle. Use to do a lot of signwork in acrylic and built the filter for my fishtank out of it. Great plastic but a bit of learning curve to glue.
08-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
DAZ
Veteran Member

As pointed out by others it can some times be hard to work with some plastics. For those plastics the best I have found is Loctite Consumer Retail Products | Product Detail.

It is made just for this kind of problem. The felt pen has a activators to prep the plastic so the glue can stick to the plastic.

DAZ
08-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Aha!

*rooting around for old bottle then websearching*

Here:

Bob Smith Industries - Cyanoacrylates

This is a hobby adhesive company that makes all kinds of superglues and releases for such. I made acquaintance with a serious model-builder some years ago, and he carried a number of these guys' products in his shop. I had some at one point which I believe answered to the description the OP may have been looking for. (I'm afraid I no longer have the glue, but I have an epoxy they make that I never used)

(I should also caution in general about using any cyanoacrylates around optics, particularly plastic ones. The vapors will permanently fog things.)

(Actually, re-reading your post, it may not be a 'superglue' you want so much as an epoxy, to begin with. (You might want to rough up the surface a touch for most conventional adhesives. Epoxies, you can generally go to your home center for, and it's hard to go too far wrong. They'll have different characteristics to chose from, but they'll stick. )

What's this for, anyway?

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 08-22-2009 at 09:47 PM.
08-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Sounds like you have some pretty good leads going so far. T

he one thing I wanted to make sure you understand is that depending on the product, it will bond differently. Some bond chemically, like the materials graphicgr8s was talking about, where from my understanding surface roughness shouldn't matter or probably moreso would hamper a quality joint. I would assume these products have poor gap filling properties if that is important. Others, such as the the epoxies I am used to, bond mechanically (except at very certain points between coats, if applying multiple coats) and this requires some roughness for the product to hold to. Epoxy has the ability to be mixed with different fillers for filling in gaps, building up areas. If you want to know more on this stuff, I'm sure West System Epoxy, Epoxy by the Leading Epoxy Manufacture | WEST SYSTEM Epoxy, still has good information on their website. I have no ties to them other than having great luck with their stuff during some previous boat reastoration projects.
08-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Don't forget about GOOP. Works for many applications that are no even mentioned in their literature. Good all purpose adhesive.