Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Anyone get a chance to see 1:1 scale Gundam in Tokyo?

This looks like an amazing photo op...

http://shibuya246.com/2009/07/20/gundam-odaiba/

08-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

yes, my friends told me i had to go see it.
it's impressive, but because i have no attachment to Gundam, i didn't really care.

edit: those pictures are way better than the ones i took :P
08-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Attachment or not, the scale of that thing begs for some pretty awesome shots to be taken! Especially since normally shots of this stuff are done with a macro on models, it must be a helluva lot of fun trying to get the shot you want with a wide!
08-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That is awesome would have loved to see that thing in real life huge fan of the whole Gumdam series of anime

08-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
pbo
Veteran Member

Wow, nice! All those details, "warnings" and "cautions" etc etc. That WB plate looks like a good place to set white balance on (yep, I have no idea about Gundam...)
08-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm down within easy walking distance of it pretty much every day. No, I don't care a damned thing about it and will not be taking photos of it.

The best look I've had at it was from the Shinagawa Wharf, just across the bay a bit. My reaction was to roll my eyes.

At least now I know what has traffic in the area so effed up lately. Nothing but a damned nuisance as far as I'm concerned.
08-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I want to see it!

08-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I'm down within easy walking distance of it pretty much every day. No, I don't care a damned thing about it and will not be taking photos of it.

The best look I've had at it was from the Shinagawa Wharf, just across the bay a bit. My reaction was to roll my eyes.

At least now I know what has traffic in the area so effed up lately. Nothing but a damned nuisance as far as I'm concerned.
Just curious, but alot of your photo work captures life and culture in Japan. Is that giant robot thing not part of Japanese culture? It certainly is like nothing here in North America.

Why so bitter?
08-28-2009, 03:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

master grade...

08-28-2009, 04:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Just curious, but alot of your photo work captures life and culture in Japan. Is that giant robot thing not part of Japanese culture? It certainly is like nothing here in North America.

Why so bitter?
I'm not bitter. I just reserve the right to choose what I do and do not care to photograph. I do not care to photograph pop culture as produced by corporations for the most part. And due to having years of exposure to the anime/manga "enthusiasts" (straining to find a nice word there) on various Japan-related forums I really don't care to photograph something like this.

Also, I mostly don't care to photograph "touristy" items/scenes and things that a zillion other people have already photographed to death. This is why you will find very little in the way of cherry blossoms (Japan's most trite and overdone photographic subject) or festivals (second most trite and overdone) among my stuff. If I ever find myself wanting to see that crap I'll hunt up photos from somebody else to admire. There are things among my photos that may make the previous two sentences look like a lie (temples, etc) but my standard for those is to try to take the photos in places not on the tourist trail and in some different/interesting way that provides some modicum of merit to the photo.

That leaves out the Gundam statue.

And whatever brain-dead asswipe they hired to do urban planning in Tokyo put an area extraordinarily popular with tourists (who seemingly all come by car to an area with inadequate roads/parking) immediately adjacent to a busy port facility. Trying to maneuver a tractor-trailer through a swarm of automobiles all lining up in the road and creating total gridlock while they wait to get into 100% packed parking lots so they can all toddle over and gawk at some statue from a goddamned comic book or cartoon or whatever the hell Gundam came from doesn't exactly endear the thing to me either. Imagine if they had put it up right next to where you work or go to school. Even if you found the statue itself cool it wouldn't be long before you'd be sick and tired of the incredible traffic jams blocking your way every damned day.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 08-29-2009 at 04:40 AM. Reason: typos
08-28-2009, 06:24 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey Mike,

Out of curiosity, how long have you been in Tokyo? I spent nearly 12 years there before coming to Vancouver and it sounds like you are hitting one of those periods of time where living in Japan really starts to grate on the nerves. Over the time I was there, I think I hit those points at roughly the 4, 9, and finally last year I was there.

The last straw for me was putting up with an incredibly brutal summer in the early 2000's having a 12 minute walk, one way, to the train station in the stinking heat & humidity only to have to endure a snuggle session with commuters on the Odakyu line for another 30 minutes to get to Shinjuku.

Cheers.
08-28-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But if a full sized Giant Robot made an appearance...

*runs to find his passport and quickly nails himself inside a crate addressed Acme - Tokyo*
08-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Hey Mike,

Out of curiosity, how long have you been in Tokyo? I spent nearly 12 years there before coming to Vancouver and it sounds like you are hitting one of those periods of time where living in Japan really starts to grate on the nerves. Over the time I was there, I think I hit those points at roughly the 4, 9, and finally last year I was there.

The last straw for me was putting up with an incredibly brutal summer in the early 2000's having a 12 minute walk, one way, to the train station in the stinking heat & humidity only to have to endure a snuggle session with commuters on the Odakyu line for another 30 minutes to get to Shinjuku.

Cheers.
I don't live in Tokyo; I just go there in the course of my work. I'm 44 years old and this is my 26th year here. I've not set foot outside Japan for over a decade. I'm somewhat accustomed to the place. This has nothing to do with those annoying points you mention (they do exist). It has to do with my right to be a curmudgeon.
08-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks for the answer Mike.
08-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I don't live in Tokyo; I just go there in the course of my work. I'm 44 years old and this is my 26th year here. I've not set foot outside Japan for over a decade. I'm somewhat accustomed to the place. This has nothing to do with those annoying points you mention (they do exist). It has to do with my right to be a curmudgeon.
what I wouldnt give to spend the day with you Mike. that would be a real hoot.