Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #31
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
As would Canon.

But Sony coming forward and admitting DSLR video isn't the cat's meow I simply found rather refreshing. btw, I'm not a fan of Sony - at all.
I think its more of a market position thing. they see the big two implementing these things and they have decided that in order to position themselves they wont. its just a marketing tactic. if video hadn't been implemented already in a number of cameras, its very likely Sony would have capitalized on this and been the first to put video in a 'pro' body. again marketing themselves. they are trying to create an image and at the same time, adjust the current image of a 'pro' camera to one that highlights themselves. they are good at this and have done it before. it doesn't necessarily mean that they 'get' the market and what it wants in a 'pro' camera (they don't have to, they can just look at what the top end Nikon and Canon's have and go from there) it just shows that they have the resources to take existing ideas, and put them all in their own (rather ugly) camera bodies. I mean look at their system. nothing unique about it. everything they implement (even their camera mount) already existed and was in use. now don't get me wrong, im not bashing Sony for this. if people like it, good for them. but I see no evidence that they 'get' anything or anyone. they just know how to take whats existing and offer it with a few extras at a lower price. its a tactic that again, they have used many times before to rocket themselves into the number one position. the good news is that (at the moment) Pentax is not a target here. Canon and Nikon are. mostly Canon.

08-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think so much of this stuff, video, live view, whatever articulated screens are supposed to be good to carry around all the time for...

Well, I don't think there's anything terribly noble about claiming everyone needs video. If I wanted to do video, I'd be spending more time detraining myself to even think an SLR-shaped thing could do that than I would pulling a Handycam out of my pocket.... And I sure wouldn't be burning the life of my one re-useable frame of still sensor out to grab silly video clips.

If Sony did what I was hoping Pentax would, which is to say, 'Screw the video and live view, make me a good still camera,' I'd be well-satisfied.

Cant help but notice, though, that the same people were all gloom and doom about Pentax possibly *not* emphasizing video are now trying to push Sony's in spite of these 'falures.'

Whatever, you know?

Put the good stuff I need in my hands. That's what wins. If Pentax stops being in synch with that, well, merry part, and thanks muchly for the K20d and Takumars.

*lookin over at K20d and 1.4.* Cause this is good stuff. And here it is. *
08-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Interesting that it is Sony, who AFAIK has longer experience with video than any other player and therefore would be the most likely candidate to do it right, is the first to come out and admit that video+DSLR is basically nothing more than a marketing gimmick at this point. I actually have to applaud them for that.
Not exactly...

Check this out:

Shot with Canon 5DII's (I think 90% of this video is with the 5DII). I read somewhere that they've gone to using the 5DII exclusively (up to 7 of them at a time!) for their wedding videos.
08-29-2009, 12:16 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm always amazed what people with vision and skill can do. Beautiful film.

Here is one from the Nikon camp:

YouTube - nikon d300s sur le terrain

Work of Ami Vitale

I expect the A950 will have video.

08-29-2009, 06:27 AM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I'm always amazed what people with vision and skill can do. Beautiful film.

Here is one from the Nikon camp:

YouTube - nikon d300s sur le terrain

Work of Ami Vitale

I expect the A950 will have video.
that is an absolutely outstanding video. just beautiful. thanks for sharing that!
08-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #36
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon's new kid on the block seems to be making quite a stir.
Great vid.