Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
100 Year old color photos

Photos: Prokudin-Gorskii?s Color Photos of Russia, 1907-1915 | Newsweek National News | Newsweek.com

I find these simply amazing! Conveys what it was like much better than black and white more common of the time.

09-03-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
Photos: Prokudin-Gorskii?s Color Photos of Russia, 1907-1915 | Newsweek National News | Newsweek.com

I find these simply amazing! Conveys what it was like much better than black and white more common of the time.
Now I officially feel old.
09-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

A friend of mine turned me onto these about 15 years ago. You should see how they were made.
09-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
Banned

thats incredible. you just dont know what to think when you see photos in colour when you know colour photography didn't exist. just incredible.

09-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
thats incredible. you just dont know what to think when you see photos in colour when you know colour photography didn't exist. just incredible.
Google it and you'll see that they did exist. The process was nothing like what we have now but it did exist.

You have to realize that for how good we think we are there really isn't anything new under the sun. Just a different way of doing things. And there were things done in times past that we have no clue as to how to do it.
09-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Google it and you'll see that they did exist. The process was nothing like what we have now but it did exist.

You have to realize that for how good we think we are there really isn't anything new under the sun. Just a different way of doing things. And there were things done in times past that we have no clue as to how to do it.
ok, but those photos weren't captured in colour. and virtually all photos that far back were some sort of monochrome or duotone. when you think of photos that old, you instinctively think B&W. or rather non colour. so yea, its rather strange to look at scenes captured, knowing they should not be colour.
09-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Those pictures have quite a nice feel to them. Were they really shot in color or colored in PP? I can;t believe how good they look being 100 years old.

09-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
graphicgr8s

Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii was a color photographer before his time, who undertook a photographic survey of the Russian Empire for Tsar Nicholas II. He was able to capture color by taking three pictures of each scene, each with a different red, green or blue color filter. Walter Frankhauser, a photographer contracted by the Library of Congress, manually registered and cleaned up some 120 of the original high-resolution scans, with breathtakingly beautiful results. The results of his effort can be seen at the online-exhibit The Empire That Was Russia.

Read the full story here:
Prokudin-Gorskii Images

These were more like slides and not prints. He devised a "projector" with 3 filters Red, Green, Blue.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 09-04-2009 at 04:29 PM.
09-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii was a color photographer before his time, who undertook a photographic survey of the Russian Empire for Tsar Nicholas II. He was able to capture color by taking three pictures of each scene, each with a different red, green or blue color filter. Walter Frankhauser, a photographer contracted by the Library of Congress, manually registered and cleaned up some 120 of the original high-resolution scans, with breathtakingly beautiful results. The results of his effort can be seen at the online-exhibit The Empire That Was Russia.

Read the full story here:
Prokudin-Gorskii Images

These were more like slides and not prints. He devised a "projector" with 3 filters Red, Green, Blue.
Very cool.... thanks for sharing
09-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Very cool.... thanks for sharing
That as about my reaction when I saw them.
09-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those are all Stunning images.
Working in a photo lab I get a chance to scan more old negitives, and prints than you can imagine.
The oldest dated photo I've worked on was of some train station that burned down in 1913.

I'm often amazed at the quality of the prints, and how the world has changed since some of these were taken.
09-06-2009, 05:02 AM   #12
Inactive Account

The shot of the monastery on Lake Seliger... that is very close to where the Russian side of my family had its house and lands. They were given their lands buy the Czar in the C15th. I have ancestors buried on the grounds of that Monastery.

When that photo was taken in 1910, my family had not yet been dispossessed of their lands. Thanks. i was not previously aware of this photo. There are high res versions available in commons.

woof!

Last edited by woof; 09-06-2009 at 05:17 AM.
09-06-2009, 05:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

That as about my reaction when I saw them.
Stunning !

Thanks