Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

More on Texas's new right-wing school curriculum

Could Texas' Gingrich-Based High School History Curriculum Go National? | TPMMuckraker

Kind of amusing in light of all this furor over Obama addressing students to "indoctrinate" them.

09-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
Igilligan

Amusing/Scary... aaaggghghhhh

It is obvious that the conservative movement has figured out that it is all about local...

You get 25 loudmouth protesters at town hall meetings with news cameras rolling and a National Debate is effectively ended...

By putting just a little money in local elections, you get local school boards deciding on textbook choices and summer reading list 'censorship' and you effectively control thought, dialog and debate for the next generation...
You are so right, where Texas goes, so goes the entire non-coastal parts of this nation.

Who would have thought that the Texas School Book Depository would come back to haunt us again...
09-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Banned

christ all mighty... I love my home state, but.... what the hell? no damn wonder this country is becoming dumb. dammit man, somedays I just want to leave here. I know the grass isn't always greener on the other side (sure as heck wouldn't want to live in the prison known as the UK) but when I read things like this.... I loose more and more faith in this nation everyday.
09-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can only imagine the way the science texts will read.

09-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
graphicgr8s

Funny how when the lefties do it it's perfectly fine. It's ok when a liberal rewrites history. Conservatives do it and it's now wrong.
25 Loudmouth protesters? But i's ok when they let the liberals in first and the conservatives get left
out.

good for the goose. good for the gander.

You're just mad that they caught onto the liberal tricks.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 09-04-2009 at 11:29 AM.
09-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Igilligan

Puffinstuff -

The liberals have never figured it out... They are not a bright group.

The conservatives did.
They set out an agenda to control politics at the local levels... Small sums of money (compared to national elections dollars) at a local level can buy elections to city councils and school boards. The lefties with their pawltry grean peas and smart growth dollars can not compete... So you get city councils packed with developers... and you get school boards packed with Christian / conservatives and few educators.

So we start seeing science books with "Intelligent Design" and now this "Conservative History" re-write. Nixon = China???
Please the idiot bungled the Vietnam War and brought our Political system to Crisis point...

Congrats to the Conservative Agenda... they get it!
The Presidency and Congress is frozen... the real power is right where you live.
09-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Please the idiot bungled the Vietnam War and brought our Political system to Crisis point...
it was bungled before he took office. though I certainly wont argue that he made the conflict much worse.

and the day 'intelligent design' ends up in school science books, is the day I leave this nation to suffer the fate it deserves.

09-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Puffinstuff -

The conservatives did.
They set out an agenda to control politics at the local levels... Small sums of money (compared to national elections dollars) at a local level can buy elections to city councils and school boards. The lefties with their pawltry grean peas and smart growth dollars can not compete... So you get city councils packed with developers... and you get school boards packed with Christian / conservatives and few educators.

So we start seeing science books with "Intelligent Design" and now this "Conservative History" re-write. Nixon = China???

The Presidency and Congress is frozen... the real power is right where you live.
My beef is that a huge number of educators take their lead from the NEA. Both sides have a history of wanting to tell people what the can and can't read. As far as the 'Nam mess goes, it goes back to before WWII with French Indo-China. The French tried to re-establish that after WWII. If mistakes were made, it was with Truman and Eisenhower NOT telling the French that WWII was over and forget about it. Unfortunately, the French pushed it and got clobbered at Dien Bien Phu. Then we got into a situation of military advisers in Saigon that was escalated under JFK and LBJ. Nixon was a crook, liar and all that, but he pulled out of 'Nam and Saigon fell. What did I miss in your comment? JFK and Bobby Kennedy were fundamentally different than Teddy Kennedy that's a given.

However, BHO is getting creepy with this sudden desire to speak to ALL public school students "live" about education. This is due to the fact he has stated numerous times about his mandatory volunteer groups not to mention the civilian security force he mentioned vaguely. The lesson plans that was sent out to USDOE and then revised were creepy.

I don't think the Federal Gov. should be meddling in local affairs. Nor does the Constitution. The includes Teddy Kennedy/Dubya AND BHO.

QuoteQuote:
You get 25 loudmouth protesters at town hall meetings with news cameras rolling and a National Debate is effectively ended...
You haven't been to any of those things unless it was in downtown SF. There have been SIEU thugs present at many as well.
09-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Puffinstuff -

The conservatives did.

They pretty much teach evolution as fact, not theory. But that's OK?

Wasn't he the one that got us OUT of Nam?

The liberal history rewrite was ok though?
09-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Which rewrite is that, graphics?
09-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
They pretty much teach evolution as fact, not theory. But that's OK?

no they dont. and you know damn good and well they don't. its always very clear that its theory. in some sense everything is theory. I remember my highs chool chemistry teacher saying "if you think or work in absolutes you are not practicing science." just because its the most logical (and despite what you might believe) having a lot of good evidence to suggest it being scientific fact, its still theory, and its taught that way. it was taught that way to me, and I graduated from a Texas high school.

you don't honestly believe intelligent design is scientific do you? believe it or not is one thing, but its not scientific and doesn't belong in a science class, thus doesn't deserve to be taught alongside evolution in a science class. period.
09-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Could Texas' Gingrich-Based High School History Curriculum Go National? | TPMMuckraker

Kind of amusing in light of all this furor over Obama addressing students to "indoctrinate" them.
I tire of both ends trying to limit what the middlle can think.

And the false outrage voiced by either end at the actions of the other.

Any politician using the power of government to gain access to state-run schools for the purpose of addressing our students is an alarming proposition, no matter how innocently proposed. It does ring of Saul Alinsky.
09-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
However, BHO is getting creepy with this sudden desire to speak to ALL public school students "live" about education. This is due to the fact he has stated numerous times about his mandatory volunteer groups not to mention the civilian security force he mentioned vaguely. The lesson plans that was sent out to USDOE and then revised were creepy.
Creepy like...

The far right says Obama is bad for our kids - Joan Walsh - Salon.com

QuoteQuote:
Especially since, as has now been well-documented, President George H.W. Bush addressed American students in 1991, and Ronald Reagan did so via C-SPAN in 1988. (Bush talked mainly about the importance of education, while Reagan hailed the benefits of low taxes and the line-item veto.) President George W. Bush appealed to "the children of the country" to back the war against the Taliban in Afghanistan in 2001, to no public criticism. Admittedly, some Democrats accused his father of playing politics in '91, while Newt Gingrich ardently defended him. (Waiting for Gingrich to defend Obama. Still waiting.)
09-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
TPM has some good one-line summations of this stupid thing.

QuoteQuote:
Barack Obama definitely the first black man to get attacked by the right for telling kids to work hard and stay in school.
QuoteQuote:
How long did it take the right to go from: "if you criticize the President you are a traitor" to "School children should not trust the President."
09-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #15
Site Supporter

D.W.B. You put all the straw men you want up there. BHO is using the bully pulpit on ALL public school children. The legally have to attend school and it has been left up to principals and teachers to decide at the last minute to allow or disallow it. Furthermore, there have been lesson plans sent out and then rewritten. I would find this a problem regardless of who it is.

Your link isn't the POTUS trying to do a mandatory speech to ALL students. On top of that, he has stated several times about his mandatory volunteer programs in the future. How many steps to Obama Youth do we need? If my kids were still in school, they would be hanging out with me at the University on Tuesday.

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
TPM has some good one-line summations of this stupid thing.

QuoteQuote:
Barack Obama definitely the first black man to get attacked by the right for telling kids to work hard and stay in school.
How long did it take the right to go from: "if you criticize the President you are a traitor" to "School children should not trust the President."
Why are you playing the race card?

Last edited by Blue; 09-04-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Closed Thread