Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
graphicgr8s

By the mile

So now the rocket scientists in DC are looking at putting chips in cars so they can tax you for every mile you drive. And track you.

Still think Big Brother isn't watching?

09-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sadly, this is not much of a surprise. California's been working on it for most of this decade.
09-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
Sadly, this is not much of a surprise. California's been working on it for most of this decade.
I'm watching you!
09-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
I'm watching you!
That's it. My house is now clothing-optional. That'll learn ya!

09-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of the research is being conducted by FIU.
09-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
So now the rocket scientists in DC are looking at putting chips in cars so they can tax you for every mile you drive. And track you.

Still think Big Brother isn't watching?
Do you have any kind of reference for this, or is this pure paranoia?
09-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Do you have any kind of reference for this, or is this pure paranoia?
Like I said above, FIU and U. of Iowa are doing a mileage tax study.

Mileage tax under study -- chicagotribune.com

QuoteQuote:
Congress has authorized a $16.5 million study of a mileage tax program, with South Florida one of six areas in the country chosen as a guinea pig. (Volunteers will get $895 for putting a transponder, similar to a SunPass, in their cars for 10 months and will get a sample tax bill.)

The motivation to explore a change comes down to tax collections. Americans, it seems, have all too effectively changed their driving habits in response to pleas to "go green," increasingly opting for more fuel-efficient cars, mass transit and other environmentally friendly alternatives.

While that's good news for Mother Earth, it's been a bummer for Uncle Sam. The federal fund that pays for roads, bridges and transit projects is expected to run $8 billion short by the end of the summer, and America's growing fondness for the green movement will only drive those figures further into the red.
Oregon Touts Mileage Tax Experiment - KickingTires

It has been going on in other places as well. There was also a suggestion earlier this year in the Northwest and D.C. to implement this but was withdrawn due to publicity. However, expect to see it based on the amount of research that has been going on.

09-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's like that tag/chip they sew into cloths..the one that says "remove before wearing".

Reading Blues quote cut from the study...so what's the solution? US infrastructure is failing... Your choice is;
Total private ownership (i.e. turnpikes) like in the 1700/1800s...monopoly..phased out late 1800s
Privatize....expensive user fees like in the early 1900s for roads, bridges, highways
Total public - 1950s massive public paid infrastructure...mainly free

How do you want to pay? If you have a better model speak up. It's all about providing the money to make it happen...
09-05-2009, 01:04 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
It's like that tag/chip they sew into cloths..the one that says "remove before wearing".

Reading Blues quote cut from the study...so what's the solution? US infrastructure is failing... Your choice is;
Total private ownership (i.e. turnpikes) like in the 1700/1800s...monopoly..phased out late 1800s
Privatize....expensive user fees like in the early 1900s for roads, bridges, highways

How do you want to pay? If you have a better model speak up. It's all about providing the money to make it happen...
thank you... if you use it you should be paying to use it. If your driving more than the average person you should be paying more to upkeep the roads. Its pretty simple. Its not big brother, it simply makes sense that the people who use certain services more often should pay extra for those certain services.
09-05-2009, 04:52 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shibby3.8 Quote
thank you... if you use it you should be paying to use it. If your driving more than the average person you should be paying more to upkeep the roads. Its pretty simple. Its not big brother, it simply makes sense that the people who use certain services more often should pay extra for those certain services.
I can't speak for the U.S., but in Canada we already pay for our usage. It's called gasoline tax.

Gerry
09-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I get a kick out of the hypocrisy that says that because I drive a little car, or use public transit or ride a bike, I shouldn't have to pay for roads because I don't wear them out. The food that you eat, the clothes that you wear, the house that you live in and everything in it was delivered by road, and the vehicles that do that for you are far more wearing on the infrastructure than anything you can use as personal transportation (I suppose you might be able to put a street license on an M1 tank, but I doubt it).
A road system is one of those things that should be paid for out of the public purse simply because what we have come to recognize as civilized society pretty much depends on it.
You make it into a user pay system and the users will find a way around paying for it, at which time it will either fall apart or else it will revert back to being paid for by the public purse anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lazaruscomeout Quote
I can't speak for the U.S., but in Canada we already pay for our usage. It's called gasoline tax.

Gerry
I believe less than 10% of it is actually used to maintain the roads. The rest of it just gets devoured by the various levels of government and disappears into whatever it is they do to waste 75% of what they get from us.
09-05-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
Site Supporter

People pay gasoline taxes (Federal, State & Local) on a per gallon basis. That is supposed to go to maintain the roads. This new system will be in addition to that.

QuoteQuote:
Its not big brother
Then "Who" the hell is it?
09-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote

They are also experimenting with GPS systems. There are more about it than what I linked. the Eisenhower Interstate wasn't free. It was paid for with tax money. We also had a booming economy at the time. Our current system has Fed, State and Local taxes that are supposed to go for road maintenance. The tax per gallon is substantial compared to the profit per gallon.

You act like this has been an open discussion for problem solving when it is flying under the general radar. One post someone asks if this is just paranoia and then you come along and ask if someone else has a better idea.

Furthermore, this equipment already has the technology to keep tabs on people which would allow for curfew enforcement. It would fit in nicely with Massachusetts "Pandemic Flu Emergency Bill' That suspends the 4th, 8th and 11th Amendments.
09-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
They are also experimenting with GPS systems. There are more about it than what I linked. the Eisenhower Interstate wasn't free. It was paid for with tax money. We also had a booming economy at the time. Our current system has Fed, State and Local taxes that are supposed to go for road maintenance. The tax per gallon is substantial compared to the profit per gallon.

You act like this has been an open discussion for problem solving when it is flying under the general radar. One post someone asks if this is just paranoia and then you come along and ask if someone else has a better idea.

Furthermore, this equipment already has the technology to keep tabs on people which would allow for curfew enforcement. It would fit in nicely with Massachusetts "Pandemic Flu Emergency Bill' That suspends the 4th, 8th and 11th Amendments.
Just another example of fear mongering. It must be terrible to constantly feel every new change is actually a conspiracy to control your life.
09-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Just another example of fear mongering. It must be terrible to constantly feel every new change is actually a conspiracy to control your life.
It isn't fear mongering. Have you even looked at the bill in Mass? Finally, why should government have these kinds of tools? It is a matter of time that they get misused if checks aren't put in place. And don't play the "change" card. I'm not against every "new" change. However, change isn't automatically good because its change. I don't like the "Sunday Blue Laws" either for example, nor the unPatriot Act due to its language and potential interpretations.

Edit: Go here and follow the various links:

http://www.examiner.com/x-10438-Peace-Studies-Examiner~y2009m8d30-H1N1-conspiracy-theories-becoming-state-law-Massachusetts-leading-US-Martial-Law-Pandemic-Bill