Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Join me in helping change the world, one frame at a time?

Calling all photographers of all backgrounds and skill levels, mark December 12th on your calendars and let's make a difference.

Read on for details: Changing the World, One Frame at a Time

Genius. Inspiring. Pure awesomeness.

Come join me and the thousands across the world in this army of creative power.

Diego

09-05-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting this, mate. I'm in.
09-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Banned

neat concept. very thoughtful, but I don't see how this would change anyones lives. what good does it do to take a photo of someone in need? how will having their portrait done help them? im all for such a concept to be practiced, but it wont change lives in the way the video expresses.
09-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the idea also.
Jeremy Cowart has given this a lot of thought.
If the portrait makes the subject in need appreciate their own value, then perhaps it can make an internal difference in self-confidence/motivation - or it just showing that they too can be a participant in receiving gifts.

Who knows where that'll take them, although I reckon it would take a lot of effort from the photographer trying to coordinate the resources to make the portrait special - of which hobbyists perhaps may not have access to or the funds to sponsor.

In any case, a noble thought, and hopefully an effective one.

09-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You might be surprised at how a good portrait will boost someone's self-esteem; and in turn how improved self-esteem will help someone lift themselves up.

I think it's a very worthwhile project/movement/gesture.

EDIT: Ash beat em to it.
09-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
neat concept. very thoughtful, but I don't see how this would change anyones lives. what good does it do to take a photo of someone in need? how will having their portrait done help them? im all for such a concept to be practiced, but it wont change lives in the way the video expresses.
Here in my country, there's a big chunk of poverty. I'm sure there are people whose lives would be touched by a simple portrait.

Actually, your question is the challenge How can you touch someone's life with a photo?
09-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

For some people, abstractions take over the humanity of those involved in their policies. This isn't as easy for everyone to 'get' as one might tend to assume.

Sometimes they actually have to see.

09-06-2009, 05:56 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
For some people, abstractions take over the humanity of those involved in their policies. This isn't as easy for everyone to 'get' as one might tend to assume.

Sometimes they actually have to see.
Amen to that!
09-06-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Here in my country, there's a big chunk of poverty. I'm sure there are people whose lives would be touched by a simple portrait.

Actually, your question is the challenge How can you touch someone's life with a photo?
well that's all well and good, there is plenty of poverty right here in the USA as well. right here in my city. but if I go and take a portrait of say someone living in a shelter or even, worse on the streets what good would it do? could it bring me satisfaction? not likely. could it uplift their spirits? maybe, maybe not. depends I suppose on a number of things. but in the end, those people I photographed are still impoverished and I didn't do anything that would actually help them get of the situation, all I did was give them a photo. I would sooner set someone up with a local church or non-profit for help. my camera would do nothing. I don't even take photos of homeless people. because I couldn't walkaway knowing I did so but really did nothing to help them.

I simply do not get how this will actually help anyone other than the photographers to feel better about themselves.
09-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I simply do not get how this will actually help anyone other than the photographers to feel better about themselves.
Isn't that what a lot of charity is about?
09-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Isn't that what a lot of charity is about?
pretty much. yea.