Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2009, 05:58 AM   #31
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
probably. I cant afford any of those classes even if I thought I needed them. its a good thing I know how to breathe & blink.
Are you sure you are breathing correctly? They have classes to teach you how you know.

09-08-2009, 06:03 AM   #32
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
I beg to disagree about the $25 limit. I've got a thing about quality engineering and firmly believe that it's worth spending a little extra to get something that will last for a lot longer. I got seduced by the quartz fashion in the early 1970s and bought a Timex Quartz. It didn't keep on ticking even though it never took a licking. I was tempted by a Seiko quartz in 1977. I'm so glad that I spent a few more dollars and bought a plain, basic Rolex - stainless steel Oyster Perpetual Datejust with a white gold bezel. It's still going after 32 years and will probably still be going in another 100 years. I've saved heaps of money by buying a good watch.

Some of them are stunningly beautiful and masterpieces of engineering.

Richard.
I buy the 14.99 watches. At least if I lose it it's not a real big problem. I think I've bought 2 watches in the last 10 years. So my total investment is less than 50 bucks. In 30 years I will have spent 150. Still cheaper than that Rolex. And again if lost or stolen, I don't care. And as for lasting 100 years, since I more than likely won't be around, again, I don 't care.
There's a lot of freedom in those three words. I don't care. Or four if you don't use the contraction. I do not care.
09-08-2009, 06:18 AM   #33
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
I buy the 14.99 watches. At least if I lose it it's not a real big problem. I think I've bought 2 watches in the last 10 years. So my total investment is less than 50 bucks. In 30 years I will have spent 150. Still cheaper than that Rolex. And again if lost or stolen, I don't care. And as for lasting 100 years, since I more than likely won't be around, again, I don 't care.
There's a lot of freedom in those three words. I don't care. Or four if you don't use the contraction. I do not care.
why not then just invest in a Seiko? a quality Seiko wont set you back anywhere near a rolex (lol, rolex) but will give you the same "do not care cause I wont be here 100 years from now reliability" honestly, any Seiko Automatic is a truly fine watch. I cant understand not having a quality watch. maybe im old fashioned (probably and understatement) but a guy should have a quality watch. nothing wrong with having a "beater" for the times that are a bit too rough for a quality watch, but that shouldn't mean not owning one at all.
09-08-2009, 06:24 AM   #34
graphicgr8s

why not then just invest in a Seiko? a quality Seiko wont set you back anywhere near a rolex (lol, rolex) but will give you the same "do not care cause I wont be here 100 years from now reliability" honestly, any Seiko Automatic is a truly fine watch. I cant understand not having a quality watch. maybe im old fashioned (probably and understatement) but a guy should have a quality watch. nothing wrong with having a "beater" for the times that are a bit too rough for a quality watch, but that shouldn't mean not owning one at all.
My wife bought me a Shitco watch for one of our anniversaries. (there have been a few of those) It was about 200 bucks. And it sits in the drawer. I've had it fixed 2 times. Not doing a third. Only reason it's around is because it was a gift.

I do have a Lionel trains collectible watch I never wear. It still keeps time. Last I looked anyway. My nephew (now an adult) wears his all the time.

09-08-2009, 06:26 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I agree. I don't care about fancy cars (drive a Versa that was bought new since I have to drive so much, but it wasn't exactly expensive), big houses, TVs, etc... so I can afford to care about decent photo gear and getting myself a nice watch and still be way ahead of the game.
09-08-2009, 06:27 AM   #36
Banned

My wife bought me a Shitco watch for one of our anniversaries. (there have been a few of those) It was about 200 bucks. And it sits in the drawer. I've had it fixed 2 times. Not doing a third. Only reason it's around is because it was a gift.

I do have a Lionel trains collectible watch I never wear. It still keeps time. Last I looked anyway. My nephew (now an adult) wears his all the time.
well I have never had any problems with any Seiko. you must be hard as hell on watches.
09-08-2009, 06:32 AM   #37
graphicgr8s

well I have never had any problems with any Seiko. you must be hard as hell on watches.
Not really. At least I didn't think so. And the 14.99 watch I have is almost 10 years old. (Got 2 actually. I "lost" this one and got another) I've got a Seiko, a Citizen, and 2 other good watches sitting in a drawer. They are very very accurate watches.

Twice a day.

09-08-2009, 06:32 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Speaking of reliable watches, I found a Casio digital from the 1980s in a drawer that was still running fine.
09-08-2009, 06:33 AM   #39
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Speaking of reliable watches, I found a Casio digital from the 1980s in a drawer that was still running fine.
Problem Solved
09-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I agree. I don't care about fancy cars (drive a Versa that was bought new since I have to drive so much, but it wasn't exactly expensive), big houses, TVs, etc... so I can afford to care about decent photo gear and getting myself a nice watch and still be way ahead of the game.
Different hobbies/priorities/likes for different people.

I've spent maybe $30 on photo stuff in the last couple months (all of that was last week alone) and probably 10 hours taking pics in that time. On the other hand, I've spent a little (lot) more than that and wayyyyyyy more time working on the stereo in my car.

Likewise, I have bought a Fossil watch right after Thanksgiving for the past 3 years now. Do I need 8 watches? Do I need 10+ pairs of shoes? Do I need 13 cameras? Well...no...but oh well
09-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Different hobbies/priorities/likes for different people.

I've spent maybe $30 on photo stuff in the last couple months (all of that was last week alone) and probably 10 hours taking pics in that time. On the other hand, I've spent a little (lot) more than that and wayyyyyyy more time working on the stereo in my car.

Likewise, I have bought a Fossil watch right after Thanksgiving for the past 3 years now. Do I need 8 watches? Do I need 10+ pairs of shoes? Do I need 13 cameras? Well...no...but oh well
I agree. My watch hobby precedes my camera hobby by a good many years. Here are two solid 14k gold 16 size(about 2 inch) pocketwatches in pristine condition that I purchased many years ago for a little cash. At the time, I thought stupid money, but condition like this commands a premium. Today, given the price of gold, the cases alone are worth double what I paid. They've actually turned into a good investment and that's not a bad thing.

09-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Didn't you mention steampunk on another thread? Bet you'd dig these:

Retrowerk Watches | Steampunk Watches
Hee. You'd think for that kind of money you could have real brass. Though I suppose any self-respecting steam-punk ought to make their own.
*looking around the house. I think I might have an explodified Russian cheapie that might have some gears in it. Stick those on something else, voila. I suppose a pin watch would be appropriate. There's kind of an ethic I find comes naturally about not actually destroying old stuff in the course of fancifully-imitating it.

Something I keep in mind with my mad plans to do Steamey digital camera conversions. Maybe make a wild-looking pseudo view camera housing for my K20d, do portraits at conventions if I'm ever near some scene like that. Add costume and focusing hood... something funky and preferably smoke-producing to disguise the lighting, ...fun fun.

Since I've usually got the cell phone, I haven't really felt the need to carry a (or apparently have a working) watch in a long time. It's not an unreasonable place to store wealth if you have any, though. If you like engineering and craftmanship and stuff, why not. I often wonder about the excesses some of this stuff goes to, but hey. Makes more sense than some ways people spend their money.

Pretty pocketwatches on this thread, though. Class.
09-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opfor Quote
I go through watches too fast to buy anything expensive. Timex for me...
Same here...Timex on sale from Campmor...

Reminds me...time to get a replacement...Timex Expedition Classic $19.95 (analog date/time)

Steve

Edit: I do have a nice Seiko Chronograph style and a very thin Citizen that I wear for dress. Both have worked dependably for about a decade now.

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-08-2009 at 04:09 PM.
09-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #44

Please let me show the nicest design of my taste.
Buy that if the budget is high.

This is both front side and back side of same watch.
Many complications.
Calendar should go on for many years without adjustment.
However, when your children might take over, they will have to push a little button within the next 100 years.
But it will be written more specific in the user manual:

Enjoy.

Niklas
09-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hate to break it to you, but that's a fake that costs a couple of hundred bucks.