Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #61
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
An acquaintance of mine in the business tells me that, except for the high end market, the watch business is in serious trouble. As everyone now has a very accurate virtual timepiece included on their cellphone, watches have been relegated to the role of costume jewelry.
costume jewelry? anyone calls my watch a piece of costume jewelry, better do so from a distance. it boggles my mind, to think that there are people who do not wear a watch.

09-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #62
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
An acquaintance of mine in the business tells me that, except for the high end market, the watch business is in serious trouble. As everyone now has a very accurate virtual timepiece included on their cellphone, watches have been relegated to the role of costume jewelry.
Sort of like the market for fine mechanical film cameras!

Steve
09-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #63
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
costume jewelry? anyone calls my watch a piece of costume jewelry, better do so from a distance. it boggles my mind, to think that there are people who do not wear a watch.
Your watch is a piece of costume jewelry!
09-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #64
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Your watch is a piece of costume jewelry!
oh how clever. our distance aint that great. dont make me drive down there and kick your ass. Ill have to drop by the house and see the cute kid first though, then kick your ass.

09-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #65
graphicgr8s

oh how clever. our distance aint that great. dont make me drive down there and kick your ass. Ill have to drop by the house and see the cute kid first though, then kick your ass.
Come on and try. Come on! I dare you! Come on! If you're man enough!
09-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #66
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Come on and try. Come on! I dare you! Come on! If you're man enough!
gas is too expensive.
09-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #67
graphicgr8s

gas is too expensive.
excuses excuses.

09-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #68
Banned

09-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #69
Veteran Member

That's a charming timepiece, Seamius.

As for cell phones 'killing' the wearing of watches, it may be very much so. Of course, it doesn't have to be *costume* jewelry.

But still, our cell phone here has a *really* annoying thing about that. When you're actually talking on the phone, which is often when you most need to check the time, the time display disappears and turns into a little lit-up brand logo. Yay, technology.
09-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #70
Banned

QuoteQuote:
That's a charming timepiece, Seamius.
and it would be great if I owned it. I own a number of Benrus watches, going all the way back to the early 40's but the Sky Chief is my "holy grail". id trade every watch I own (except my vietnam pilots watch) to own this thing. hell id even sell takumars for the chance.

most beautiful watch ever manufactured.....
09-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #71
Veteran Member

and it would be great if I owned it. I own a number of Benrus watches, going all the way back to the early 40's but the Sky Chief is my "holy grail". id trade every watch I own (except my vietnam pilots watch) to own this thing. hell id even sell takumars for the chance.

most beautiful watch ever manufactured.....
Ah, one of those type things.

Hrmph, though. I used to have a dead Benrus watch in my bits bins, (don't worry, nothing like that one: I don't know much about watches, but I'd have known *that* much if I saw that style) If I'm remembering correctly, this was a dressier one like I used to see an uncle wear in the Seventies. I think it's the one I gave away to someone who actually wanted to wear it for costume jewelry, but if it survived the last great weight-shedding and turns up among my things, I'll let you know.
09-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Something else reminded me of this thread and thought I'd bump it.

Ended up with two watches actually. Bought a Wenger TerraGraph like this link except with the dark face, for normal wear, and a Seiko Coutura SNA343 link from the local outlet for anything else that might cause it to get beat up a bit.

The Wenger is nice looking, large, and IMO pretty classy. The Seiko has a useful chronograph, and a subdial for alarm and/or alternative time zones.

edit: found a link to the actual model I got: http://www.elliebonline.com/products/476-Wenger-Mens-Automatic-TerraGraph-Strap-Watch.aspx

Last edited by pingflood; 09-18-2009 at 07:51 PM.
09-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #73
Veteran Member

I like the look of the Wenger; nice but not particularly flashy.

I usually keep a digital wristwatch in my pocket and only put it on if I need to keep an eye on the time. After working a couple of jobs that would have destroyed any wristwatch pretty quickly I got out of the habit of wearing one.

The only interesting watch I own is a pretty beat up silver pocket watch that several generations of relatives wore to work. Its been carried enough that almost all of the original gold plate is worn off, but without a manufacturer's name on the thing I haven't been able to determine who made it.
09-26-2009, 02:57 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Hate to break it to you, but that's a fake that costs a couple of hundred bucks.
IF a fake of the Vacheron Constantin Tour D'Ille exists and cost a few hundred dollars, I would love to know where to get it.
Just for the design.

Niklas
09-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niklas Quote
IF a fake of the Vacheron Constantin Tour D'Ille exists and cost a few hundred dollars, I would love to know where to get it.
Just for the design.

Niklas
From the same place you "borrowed" that image, incidentally.

Vacheron Constantin Tour de I'lle Mens Watch 80250.000R.9145, Replica, Fake