Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2009, 06:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking for a new watch -- suggestions?

Well, long story short a watch repair shop that's now closed buggered up my Tissot T-touch to the point where the insides are all corroded. I'm sending if off to the US repair center, but don't have much hope. They neglected to replace the seal properly and two years later so much water has gotten in that the thing is pretty much shot.

So, looking at other options. Would like something interesting (I dig some of the double retrograde designs). Figure budget max is $500. Right now I am leaning towards the Botta Uno 24:
Botta UNO 24 Black watch

It's somewhat minimalistic, but the design and the 24 hour dial is appealing.

Fun/interesting suggestions welcome!

09-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #2
Banned

thats the oddest 24 hour watch I have ever seen. very neat. usually 24hour watches have four hands. my favourite by far would be the Glycine Airman.... that has to be the best looking watch ever created. (not counting the rare bird known as the Benrus "Sky Chief") I dont know the price range on those as I am into vintage watches, but im sure its a bit more than your budget. sorry I cant really offer any advice, the watch I wear is a Benrus MIL-W-3818B pilots watch circa 1969 and its not a looker thats for sure. our taste probably isn't compatible enough for me to offer suggestions. but have you considered a vintage watch?
09-07-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, vintage watches are tempting too. I have a fondness for the jump hour models; some are available here:
Vintage Watches - The Best Selection of Modern Vintage Designs

What I'd REALLY want is:
1960s Wittnauer Futurama 1000 Double Retrograde

But they are hard to find and cost $1500 and up from what I've seen...
09-07-2009, 06:33 AM   #4
Banned

you are the first person I have ever known to be a fan of jump hour watches. Benrus had a really nice one in the late 30's or early 40's I think. im such a utilitarian when it comes to watches though, too much fuss, too much of anything really just turns me off. plus I cant stand large watches. mine is 34mm.

09-07-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
Inactive Account

A Doxa SUB.

I have a thing for cushion cases and orange faces.

Yes, partly, it's a Cussler thing. Cussler got me onto them, sure, but they're about the awesomest looking dive watch I've found. And the black PVD Professionals...

Dammit, but do I want one. There're few things I'd not do for one.

Failing that, there's the Zeno Diver SEL 300, the "poor man's Doxa." Got the deco tables 'round the bezel, but no cushion case. And no grains-of-rice bracelet, dammit.

NOTE: if you're gonna get a dive watch, please at least learn to dive...

My current timepiece (which I've not worn in ages, as it's strap is falling apart like...well, like a Russian watch strap) is a Vostok Amphibia. It's actually properly waterproof, though I've only take Yevgeny, as I call him, down about seventeen metres. That, and the bezel pops off easily.

Also, it's about as accurate as Fox News.

But it was only eighty bucks. Which should give you an idea as to how far off I am getting that Doxa.
09-07-2009, 07:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Too funny, I thought "Clive Cussler" as soon as I saw the word Doxa. Guess I'm not the only one who enjoys his stuff on occasion. Pretty much the same plot over and over again, but it IS entertaining and he does manage to weave in a fair bit of interesting maritime stuff.
09-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteQuote:
NOTE: if you're gonna get a dive watch, please at least learn to dive...
so if I wear a pilots watch, I should learn to fly? or a railmaster's watch I should become a train conductor or the like? if I wore a Benrus manufactured MIL-W-50717 or a Seiko 6105 I should become an Army Special forces soldier? its just a watch... id love to learn how to dive, but I wouldn't do it just because I bought a dive watch.

09-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
so if I wear a pilots watch, I should learn to fly? or a railmaster's watch I should become a train conductor or the like? if I wore a Benrus manufactured MIL-W-50717 or a Seiko 6105 I should become an Army Special forces soldier? its just a watch... id love to learn how to dive, but I wouldn't do it just because I bought a dive watch.
Just like how every proper photographer needs to own a Leica, séamuis .

Really, it was just a simple hint to get more people diving. It's a fantastic, beautiful sport, and until you've seen a laser-guide barracuda, I say you haven't lived...

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Too funny, I thought "Clive Cussler" as soon as I saw the word Doxa. Guess I'm not the only one who enjoys his stuff on occasion. Pretty much the same plot over and over again, but it IS entertaining and he does manage to weave in a fair bit of interesting maritime stuff.
Whoa, we have similar tastes in books, you and I. First cyberpunk, now Cussler. He's the best of the "big" US thriller authors, and one of the few who can write non-American characters. Also, he bought and sold Canada's arse...
09-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Just like how every proper photographer needs to own a Leica, séamuis .

Really, it was just a simple hint to get more people diving. It's a fantastic, beautiful sport, and until you've seen a laser-guide barracuda, I say you haven't lived...
Im pretty sure I said want not need. but yea, to be "proper" I suppose you must. pingflood is an example, he owns a Leica and a Canon! I would love to learn to dive and living on the coast I am ashamed to admit that I haven't. but I would still buy a dive watch without having done so. thankfully I have never cared for dive watches. now I must go learn to fly...
09-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Learning to dive's a helluva lot cheaper than learning to fly.

And, just like Leicas, there's no real point in owning a dive watch to dive - you're better off with a dive computer in most cases (but watches are good for backup.)
09-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
I go through watches too fast to buy anything expensive. Timex for me...
09-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by opfor Quote
I go through watches too fast to buy anything expensive. Timex for me...
by destroying them or by losing them?

QuoteQuote:
Learning to dive's a helluva lot cheaper than learning to fly.

And, just like Leicas, there's no real point in owning a dive watch to dive - you're better off with a dive computer in most cases (but watches are good for backup.)
but I own a pilots watch.
09-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You see, *now* it's time for Pentax to commission a gent's watch styled after a Limited lens. We've found a customer.
09-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
You see, *now* it's time for Pentax to commission a gent's watch styled after a Limited lens. We've found a customer.
pingflood wear a Pentax watch? he's a canon user, im pretty sure that would not be tolerated. hell, if people knew he frequented this forum, he could be hanged for treason. or would it be the other way around? we can be a cruel lot. I still wouldn't take the chance.
09-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I am in love with this watch!
Moana Magrette Pacific. I think it's only about $400. Check out some of their other watches here:
MAGRETTE Watches, Regattare, Valencia, Auckland, New Zealand Yachting, NZL, Maori Watches & Watches for Men - Magrette.com
Attached Images