stay with Sprint   00%
Verizon 937.50%
I dont care 625.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2009, 06:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have Verizon because (a) they have good coverage everywhere I have needed to go, and (b) that's who my wife's employer had as their selected company in the days when the hospital actually subsidized cell phones for their docs... Of course that was in the days when a cell phone was the size of a brick, too...

As to the phone itself, I could'nt care less if it has a web browser or a camera or any of that junk on it. I want to use it as a phone - nothing more and nothing less.

Jim

09-10-2009, 07:07 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I voted I didn't care, but not because I don't - it's because the selection I would have choosen isn't there.

Which carrier offers the best coverage in your area? For instance, where my house is at, I can't use AT&T, because there is no signal (even though they say I have coverage here), but my Verizon phone works fine.

Next, which carrier offers the phone you want.

Last, which one has the best deal?

All things considered, coverage comes first, phone choice second and deal third, at least for me, but Gooshin has good points if you travel.

Or you can wait for the new Pentax K-8 which is rumored (by me) to have a digital phone and PDA.
What Tom said.
And great, Thanks a bunch Tom, Now I have to save up for a K-8 too??? Isnt it going to have touch screen interface and also be able to remote control your tv and dvd players?
09-10-2009, 07:11 AM   #18
Banned

I voted I don't care. its hard to care about a mobile phone when you don't own one.
09-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have been with ATT (under its various names) for almost a decade. No iPhone though. I use my phone for conversation only so my Razr suits me just fine. They have great service and coverage in my region.

Steve

09-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #20
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
I have Verizon because (a) they have good coverage everywhere I have needed to go, and (b) that's who my wife's employer had as their selected company in the days when the hospital actually subsidized cell phones for their docs... Of course that was in the days when a cell phone was the size of a brick, too...

As to the phone itself, I could'nt care less if it has a web browser or a camera or any of that junk on it. I want to use it as a phone - nothing more and nothing less.

Jim
exactly.

09-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cell phones don't work where I live unless I walk a 1/4 mile down the street. We just buy a perpaid phone when we take a roadtrip.
09-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I voted that I dont care. I am with Sprint, but I have an HTC Touch Diamond which is available for more than just Sprint.

My phone is windows based. I chose a windows based phone becasue my best friend has a degree in computers, and knows his way around windows and ibm/pc based stuff, builds my computers, and generally takes care of my photography in a windows based way.

so thats how i started: i chose what what would be best for my business.
For the IPhone, you can get turn by turn GPS for around 80 or 90 bucks. For me it was free. In addition to that, there are MANY gps based apps that I can download for various needs. They are ALL free. Yes there are some you can buy, but the only place I have found where I need to pay is sprint.com

So I went to the store looking for a 'windows based smartphone' and I found that the htc touch comes with the data plan that includes gps turn by turn navigation (sprint nav) in addition to Adobe Reader
Microsoft Word, Outlook, Powerpoint, Excel

and other programs that i use for business regularly......

I just chose a tool that I need.

Now, after the purchase, I find that the screen is fairly small and not so ergonomic, However, there are tons of FREE apps that you can download that emulate the iphone interface.

All I downloaded was a larger keyboard.

All of the other apps were free, and are useful....

09-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote

Jim
I have to admit, my device isnt actually classified as a phone. It is a pocket PC and is a very powerful communication device. I want my phone to communicate. It also provides me with other tools to help communicate. For instance, if I'm out and I get a call from my client with a disagreement with the contract, I can open my contract in word,edit it to our agreement, save it as a pdf, and email it to him within five minutes.

And that means I can have a $3,000 contract signed just that much faster.
09-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you're really looking to get a "smart" phone, get a blackberry. It really revolutionizes e-mail and communication, and isn't as "noobish" as the iPhone (yes, I went there tongue )!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member

which is a better street shooter?

iPhone + CameraBag app makes for a great street shooter...

And since you're in NYC, you should have little problem with AT&T Service, except for the occasional times when the network is overloaded with iPhone users.
09-11-2009, 03:02 AM   #26
Veteran Member

In a related vein -- here's a hilarious opinion piece on the new Apple press release.

Bitter? Nah....
09-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
I have to admit, my device isnt actually classified as a phone. It is a pocket PC and is a very powerful communication device. I want my phone to communicate. It also provides me with other tools to help communicate. For instance, if I'm out and I get a call from my client with a disagreement with the contract, I can open my contract in word,edit it to our agreement, save it as a pdf, and email it to him within five minutes.

And that means I can have a $3,000 contract signed just that much faster.
That works for you. I don't have to worry about that sort of thing in my job All it would be for me is an electronic leash that would never let me escape the job, and I'll be damned if that is gonna happen. I have a couple of cow-orkers who are tasked with doing first-line support for our software, and they are stuck getting calls/emails at all sorts of odd hours since we support users in time zones from US East coast to Guam... NO THANKS!

So y'all enjoy your crackberries and pocket PCs, I am gonna enjoy the feeling of being offline!

Jim
09-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Personally Im waiting for the Iphone to come to Verizon. AT&T sucks where I am making the iphone practically useless, whereas verizon I got perfect service just about anywhere I go. So Im crossing my fingers for that perfect combination of service and phone. Yes I know that didnt help one bit
09-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Whatever cell phone you use, just make sure you use handsfree when driving...
09-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I went with Verizon when I got my first cell phone because at the time they were the only company that would give me a phone number that wasn't a long distance call from my land line. Since then our phone company (Frontier) offers unlimited long distance calling plans so that issue is no longer relavent. What is an issue is that for Adirondack residents, cellphone reception is spotty at best. Our cellphones don't work in the house but out in the back yard they are ok. Go drive up the hill about a half mile and reception is great. The Nextel walkie talkie works good here ( I have one through work) but north of Lake George until Plattsburg, about 100 miles, it's nothing but a paperweight. Verizon has better Adirondack coverage, AT&T is decent but not as good. However, AT&T phones seem to work better in Vermont. I know you city guys are probably snickering about all this but for us hillbillies, we have to use what works and often there isn't a choice.