stay with Sprint   00%
Verizon 937.50%
I dont care 625.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

cell phones- this is for poeple in the US

got nothing to do with Pentax.... but usually you guys know about other stuff as well.

so my LONG LONG 2 years contract with Sprint is about to end.

should I get an IPhone? , stay with sprint?, Verizon? T-mobile?

help me out. I hate my current phone since 4 months ago my battery blow up.

sprint never let me upgrade , and they did not have a new battery in stock I had to go and buy a battery from radio shack for freaking $55 (that is the price of a new phone).

on the other end sprint was cheap...

I see they have phones today with 5 - 8 mp camera I would love to have that .
this was I would never miss a shot even if I left the K20D at home.

and suggestions will help

09-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

an iphone has replaced my watch and portable audio player

an iphone (for me) is the most intuitive piece of hand held technology i have ever used

an iphone with a dataplan gives you the freedom to stay connected at all times, coupled with the dirt simple interface, you will find yourself googling and youtubing things out in the field. Great for showing your friends soemthing you saw online the other day.

at its core its an ipod, music for all!

the amount of applications, or "aps" is staggering, there are neat little programs, some free some low cost for almost every single thing you can imagine.

best of all, for most north americans is CHEAP, (with a contract).

and (atleast in canada) i am up for an upgrade every year, so if my iphone breaks or gets old, i can purchase a new one at a low cost so long as i extend my contract, which is fine, because the company that i have been with for 6 years is good enough and i'm not complaining.

the only downside is if your iphone breaks and the warrenty doesnt cover it and you are not up for an upgrade, a new one will cost you around 700 bucks

but ive had my phone drop 3 feet on to concrete about 4 times, and it still works. My friends iphone took a dip in a fresh water lake and it started to function after only 2 days worth of drying.

iphones are great

iphones are the best

the only bad thing about an iphone is that everyone has one, so its hard to stand out
09-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I voted for the iPhone, though really, you need to choose a carrier based on where you do most of your traveling. I feel vaguely smug all summer making calls from all over Nevada with Verizon while my co-workers with sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc... can't make a call. If you were coming out to Nv to work on the fire contract I'm on, I'd not hesitate to steer you to Verizon, but I sure do want an iPhone ("Damn you Verizon!!!" ).
09-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

if you travel, the best thing (in my opinion) is to unlock whatever phone you have, and then feed it a pay-as-you-go sim card depending on where you are.

an iPhone will function in any country

i have a canadian, spanish, english and russian sim card... , would have had a french one too but i couldnt find an english speaking kiosk while i was there.

09-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
graphicgr8s

I have Verizon. Fairly inexpensive but we don't use the phone much Between 3 of us we don't use 400 minutes
09-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That Gooshin is some salesman. If you travel, you can have ATT set your IPhone for the countries you be in.
09-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
graphicgr8s

Verizon has the "New every 2" You get a new phone every 2 years. Choose the right phone and it's free.
09-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

We can't really swing the data service for an Iphone kind of thing, but I think it'd be neat if they made one with a built-in meter with spot and incident capabilities.

09-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

the iPhone is a great device, but the ridiculous data plan that AT&T forces you to get makes it something I'll never buy. That and the fact that AT&T has no 3G service here in Santa Fe.

I've used Verizon for the past 5 years and have enjoyed their service very much (it really is the biggest and fastest network in the US)... their customer service not so much.

I currently have the LG enV Touch, which has a lot of the features I'd want from the iPhone at a fraction of the cost ($25 w/ new every two), and no exorbitant data plan ($70/mo for unlimited data/messaging, 450 anytime minutes, free nights/weekends).
09-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
We can't really swing the data service for an Iphone kind of thing, but I think it'd be neat if they made one with a built-in meter with spot and incident capabilities.
there is probably an app for that.
09-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
there is probably an app for that.
Well, I think there is, but it's not too impressive. I think there's a little digital camera in those it runs off of. I'd want the actual spot and a peepy little finder, maybe a real calculator dial (they help me juggle the numbers. )

Maybe what I'd want is just to have someone stick a phone and Mp3 player in a *light meter* rather than the other way around.
09-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Ew, cell phones and contracts.

I paid $18 for a Virgin Mobile one two years ago and can make calls for 5c/minute, just have to add $20 to the account every 90 days.

Unless work's paying for it, I have zero need or desire to yap on the phone for more than an hour a month.

Cell phone contracts are just another way to suck money out of people.
09-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
an iphone has replaced my watch and portable audio player

an iphone (for me) is the most intuitive piece of hand held technology i have ever used

an iphone with a dataplan gives you the freedom to stay connected at all times, coupled with the dirt simple interface, you will find yourself googling and youtubing things out in the field. Great for showing your friends soemthing you saw online the other day.

at its core its an ipod, music for all!

the amount of applications, or "aps" is staggering, there are neat little programs, some free some low cost for almost every single thing you can imagine.

best of all, for most north americans is CHEAP, (with a contract).

and (atleast in canada) i am up for an upgrade every year, so if my iphone breaks or gets old, i can purchase a new one at a low cost so long as i extend my contract, which is fine, because the company that i have been with for 6 years is good enough and i'm not complaining.

the only downside is if your iphone breaks and the warrenty doesnt cover it and you are not up for an upgrade, a new one will cost you around 700 bucks

but ive had my phone drop 3 feet on to concrete about 4 times, and it still works. My friends iphone took a dip in a fresh water lake and it started to function after only 2 days worth of drying.

iphones are great

iphones are the best

the only bad thing about an iphone is that everyone has one, so its hard to stand out
What Gooshin said! I LOVE my iPhone!!!

Mike
09-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I, also, am an iPhone addict. In fact I'm sitting on my couch browsing on the phone rather than pulling out the laptop ten feet from me. The browser renders better than any other mobile dvice out there, including the G1 and the Pre from what I've seen.

The only downfall is AT&T. The voice service, at least here in Denver is terrible. Tons of drops and hard to connect at times. The data service however is stellar. Fast and reliable. AT&T is planning n rolling out updates to their network very soon and I'm really looking forward to it.
09-10-2009, 05:10 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I voted I didn't care, but not because I don't - it's because the selection I would have choosen isn't there.

Which carrier offers the best coverage in your area? For instance, where my house is at, I can't use AT&T, because there is no signal (even though they say I have coverage here), but my Verizon phone works fine.

Next, which carrier offers the phone you want.

Last, which one has the best deal?

All things considered, coverage comes first, phone choice second and deal third, at least for me, but Gooshin has good points if you travel.

Or you can wait for the new Pentax K-8 which is rumored (by me) to have a digital phone and PDA.