Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #16
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
No, they don't. The same participating retail stores you keep driving to to replace the incandescents that keep blowing can generally take them. Or. You can have a box at the recycling center. Weren't we talking about 'due diligence' on another thread? At least *this* mercury you get tangible and real benefits from, as opposed to what deregulated industry wants to dump.

Besides, where'd 'Free Enterprise' go, all of a sudden, just cause it's something ecological?

Yes, there's mercury in there. It's not the mercury you should be most worried about. And if you can *really* get someone to pay twelve dollars to mail away a light bulb after they saved money on it for five years, hey, I'll drive it to Home Depot for six. Noooo problem.
It's not? Hmmm. Interesting. Wish the EPA thought like that.

09-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Just stuff em in the garbage. Who'd know? With a $12 fee you think that won't happen?
You could start by not falsely claiming there's a 12 dollar fee so they don't see the bin at the store they bought the thing from. Yes, a little bit more in the way of convenient disposal is in order, but you're talking in massive hyperbole, here.

I mean, if we could get twelve dollars every time corporations dumped the equivalent amount of mercury directly into the lakes and watersheds, we could fly all our broken CF bulbs business class if we wanted.
09-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #18
graphicgr8s

You could start by not falsely claiming there's a 12 dollar fee so they don't see the bin at the store they bought the thing from. Yes, a little bit more in the way of convenient disposal is in order, but you're talking in massive hyperbole, here.
Don't recall as I said there WAS a $12 fee. Look back a couple of posts dearie.
09-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #19
graphicgr8s

And in Nebraska

In General:

* Fluorescent light tubes that are generated by a household can be disposed in unlimited quantities in a municipal solid waste (MSW) landfill.

* Fluorescent light tubes that do not contain mercury can be disposed in unlimited quantities in a MSW landfill.

* Fluorescent light tubes that contain mercury, but have been determined not to be hazardous waste, can be disposed at a MSW landfill in unlimited quantities.

* Fluorescent light tubes containing mercury that are determined to be a hazardous waste, by testing or knowledge of the manufacturing process, and are generated by a business that is a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator, may be disposed in quantities up to 43 pounds per day at a MSW landfill. This is approximately 75 four-foot tubes. (See Title 132 – Integrated Solid Waste Management Regulations for definitions)

* Fluorescent light tubes that are generated by businesses that are Small or Large Quantity Generators are not allowed to dispose any quantity of tubes determined to be hazardous at a MSW landfill.

09-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

It's not? Hmmm. Interesting. Wish the EPA thought like that.
Yaknow, start with the man in the mirror or something.

And stop complaining when you don't wanna fund the EPA but think you're getting something out of wasting your own electric bill.
09-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #21
graphicgr8s

Yaknow, start with the man in the mirror or something.

And stop complaining when you don't wanna fund the EPA but think you're getting something out of wasting your own electric bill.
What I don't want is people like you FORCING me to buy something I don't want.
Never said I didn't want to fund the EPA. I think, for the most part they're ok. And I am in a HIGHLY REGULATED industry.
09-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

What I don't want is people like you FORCING me to buy something I don't want.
Never said I didn't want to fund the EPA. I think, for the most part they're ok. And I am in a HIGHLY REGULATED industry.
No one's "forcing" you. Certainly not me. Certainly, if you think wasting your money on electricity cause you want to say only incandescent bulbs are the 'universal and convenient solution,' well, that remains your business.

If you want to smash CF bulbs cause you think someone's 'forcing' you to spend some 'twelve dollar fee' to otherwise dispose of the thing, (cause you'd rather not bother to look and find out otherwise) ...so you can go, 'Ha, take that, librul environmentalist Commies! Take *that! Big Brother!'

Well, I'm not seeing myself as the one with issues.

CF bulbs are good. For a lot of things.

No, don't use the wrong one for the wrong job.

You can deal with this.

If you have the brainpower to construct these crazy arguments, you have the brainpower to cope with a light bulb.

09-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #23
graphicgr8s

No one's "forcing" you. Certainly not me. Certainly, if you think wasting your money on electricity cause you want to say only incandescent bulbs are the 'universal and convenient solution,' well, that remains your business.

If you want to smash CF bulbs cause you think someone's 'forcing' you to spend some 'twelve dollar fee' to otherwise dispose of the thing, (cause you'd rather not bother to look and find out otherwise) ...so you can go, 'Ha, take that, librul environmentalist Commies! Take *that! Big Brother!'

Well, I'm not seeing myself as the one with issues.

CF bulbs are good. For a lot of things.

No, don't use the wrong one for the wrong job.

You can deal with this.

If you have the brainpower to construct these crazy arguments, you have the brainpower to cope with a light bulb.

Parallax is right. Blue is right. Pigs, mud.
09-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Parallax is right. Blue is right. Pigs, mud.
Sounds more like 'Pigs, Lipstick,' to me.

This, by the way, is one of those things that make Yankees like me come to the South and just shake our heads. Seems there's a certain culture down here that seems to say, 'It's worth it to spend a lot of my life justifying the slipshod, and making it too much of a PITA to argue with me about it, rather than just learning to do the thing properly in the first place.'

It's. A. Light. Bulb. Yeah, you might have to go a couple steps out of your way to the service counter at Lowe's to dispose of one some time. It's not Big Brother. It's a light bulb.
09-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Power plants have scrubbers as mandated by the EPA. They are a highly regulated industry.
Why must you bring religion into a thread when it is not necessary? Why such a chip on your shoulder?
because unlike other countries, religion, particulary christianity, plays a very serious role in the views and actions of the average american

for christs sake you have "in god we trust" written on your currency!
09-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #26
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
because unlike other countries, religion, particulary christianity, plays a very serious role in the views and actions of the average american

for christs sake you have "in god we trust" written on your currency!
Would it suit you better if it said in Stalin we trust?
09-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Would it suit you better if it said in Stalin we trust?
it would suit me better if it said nothing at all

or at the very least, something tangible
09-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #28
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
it would suit me better if it said nothing at all

or at the very least, something tangible
Serge, thing is, since you don't live here it doesn't need to suit you at all. We were founded on Christian principles and beliefs.
09-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #29
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
heard of LED's?

I sometimes work on my vehicles with a drop light. I sometimes break the tungsten bulb. It's no big deal. It will be with CFL's. And I won't even be able to buy a tungsten. And it even provides heat for me in the winter. Double benefit.
Go to Costco - or some other auto supply store - and get a set of LED droplights for about $20 USD. No tungsten, no CFL and 10,000 hours of light with less than 10 watts an hour.

What's the problem again - being responsible?

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
09-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Serge, thing is, since you don't live here it doesn't need to suit you at all. We were founded on Christian principles and beliefs.
dont give me that bullshit

"live and let live"

that is NOT how america was made, and that is NOT how america functions