Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
graphicgr8s

Ever break a CFL?

Well if you do here are the cleanup instructions:

QuoteQuote:
Fluorescent light bulbs contain a very small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing. EPA recommends the following clean-up and disposal below. Please also read the information on this page about what never to do with a mercury spill.

Before Clean-up: Air Out the Room

* Have people and pets leave the room, and don't let anyone walk through the breakage area on their way out.
* Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.
* Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system, if you have one.

Clean-Up Steps for Hard Surfaces

* Carefully scoop up glass pieces and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
* Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder.
* Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place towels in the glass jar or plastic bag.
* Do not use a vacuum or broom to clean up the broken bulb on hard surfaces.

Clean-up Steps for Carpeting or Rug

* Carefully pick up glass fragments and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
* Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder.
* If vacuuming is needed after all visible materials are removed, vacuum the area where the bulb was broken.
* Remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister), and put the bag or vacuum debris in a sealed plastic bag.

Clean-up Steps for Clothing, Bedding and Other Soft Materials

* If clothing or bedding materials come in direct contact with broken glass or mercury-containing powder from inside the bulb that may stick to the fabric, the clothing or bedding should be thrown away. Do not wash such clothing or bedding because mercury fragments in the clothing may contaminate the machine and/or pollute sewage.
* You can, however, wash clothing or other materials that have been exposed to the mercury vapor from a broken CFL, such as the clothing you are wearing when you cleaned up the broken CFL, as long as that clothing has not come into direct contact with the materials from the broken bulb.
* If shoes come into direct contact with broken glass or mercury-containing powder from the bulb, wipe them off with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place the towels or wipes in a glass jar or plastic bag for disposal.

Disposal of Clean-up Materials

* Immediately place all clean-up materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area for the next normal trash pickup.
* Wash your hands after disposing of the jars or plastic bags containing clean-up materials.
* Check with your local or state government about disposal requirements in your specific area. Some states do not allow such trash disposal. Instead, they require that broken and unbroken mercury-containing bulbs be taken to a local recycling center.

Future Cleaning of Carpeting or Rug: Air Out the Room During and After Vacuuming

* The next several times you vacuum, shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system and open a window before vacuuming.
* Keep the central heating/air conditioning system shut off and the window open for at least 15 minutes after vacuuming is completed.

Give me the simpler days where I could just throw a stupid bulb out. And this will eventually be mandatory. Stock up now on regular bulbs. Big brother is watching you!

09-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Well if you do here are the cleanup instructions:
Give me the simpler days where I could just throw a stupid bulb out. And this will eventually be mandatory. Stock up now on regular bulbs. Big brother is watching you!
So, how much sulfur and mercury from powerplants would you like to be *guaranteed* to inhale to power all those incandescent bulbs, in order to avoid having to ...What... Take a little care not to bash a CF bulb? (They're nowhere near as fragile as conventional ones. And older flourescent bulbs were also as bad for you if they broke, people just used to bash em up and throw them in the trash anyway, till something was done about that)

Been using em almost since they came out. Haven't broken or even exhausted one, yet. Actually, they tend to come with us when we move.

Why is it that it's always the people so big on the 'Protestant work ethic' and 'personal responsibility' who develop terminal laziness when it comes to putting something in a recycling bin or... Taking care of their stuff.

Meanwhile supporting guys who say it's OK to just dump more mercury directly into the fisheries.

Sheesh.

If people start saving on the wasted energy and stuff, the country won't be *forced* to take extreme measures to ban my enlarger bulb, (if there's still enough profit for someone to make one anymore anyway) and then there'll be no reason to make a policy of it.

Yes, they have a little mercury in them. I had the impression you were in the habit of handling precision optics now and again. You should be able to *deal with it.* You get a lot in return. You *might* even get to think about something else than how to blame environmentalists for the effects of looking for excuses to screw up the environment.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-09-2009 at 11:01 AM.
09-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
graphicgr8s

Power plants have scrubbers as mandated by the EPA. They are a highly regulated industry.
Why must you bring religion into a thread when it is not necessary? Why such a chip on your shoulder?
09-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Banned

I bought a new GE "reveal" CFL for my desklamp to replace the older lower watt CFL and the damn thing broke in my hand trying to screw it in. its sitting in a sealed sandwich bag on top of the microwave, where it has been for like two weeks now.

09-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Power plants have scrubbers as mandated by the EPA. They are a highly regulated industry.
Why must you bring religion into a thread when it is not necessary? Why such a chip on your shoulder?
To my understanding the 'Protestant work ethic' isn't about anything religious in particular. Just a certain cultural dynamic.

As for 'chips on shoulder,' well, you're the one going out of your way to get freaked out about the 'inconvenience' of a more-efficient light bulb.

Pretty thin excuse for *you* to be a 'hater' about things, I should say.

No, though, they don't shatter, wear out, or need disposing of anywhere near as frequently as conventional bulbs. If they're more likely to get struck than wear out after several years, that's a good case for just protecting one. (You can even get em with the tubes inside plastic housings if you're worried about that.)

Frankly, your 'can't do attitude' is irksome.
09-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
To my understanding the 'Protestant work ethic' isn't about anything religious in particular. Just a certain cultural dynamic.

As for 'chips on shoulder,' well, you're the one going out of your way to get freaked out about the 'inconvenience' of a more-efficient light bulb.

Pretty thin excuse for *you* to be a 'hater' about things, I should say.

No, though, they don't shatter, wear out, or need disposing of anywhere near as frequently as conventional bulbs. If they're more likely to get struck than wear out after several years, that's a good case for just protecting one. (You can even get em with the tubes inside plastic housings if you're worried about that.)

Frankly, your 'can't do attitude' is irksome.
I sometimes work on my vehicles with a drop light. I sometimes break the tungsten bulb. It's no big deal. It will be with CFL's. And I won't even be able to buy a tungsten. And it even provides heat for me in the winter. Double benefit.

It's not that I am a hater. I don't want Big Brother in everything I do. Next they'll monitor how much TP I use when I go.
09-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I sometimes work on my vehicles with a drop light. I sometimes break the tungsten bulb. It's no big deal. It will be with CFL's. And I won't even be able to buy a tungsten. And it even provides heat for me in the winter. Double benefit.

It's not that I am a hater. I don't want Big Brother in everything I do. Next they'll monitor how much TP I use when I go.
It's not 'Big Brother' if you couldn't... or shouldn't... waste energy all over the house for some idea it's more 'convenient' to treat every bulb in the house like it's got to be a drop-light. (Though, honestly, I wish they *would* make a CF drop-light bulb to take that kind of duty: maybe someone has already. I have a lot of hair and it doesn't smell too nice when singed. )

This should be pretty simple. If you wanna waste a lot of energy cause you like throwing out broken incandescent bulbs all the time, don't come crying to me when there's power shortages to run *anything.*

09-09-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It's not 'Big Brother' if you couldn't... or shouldn't... waste energy all over the house for some idea it's more 'convenient' to treat every bulb in the house like it's got to be a drop-light. (Though, honestly, I wish they *would* make a CF drop-light bulb to take that kind of duty: maybe someone has already. I have a lot of hair and it doesn't smell too nice when singed. )

This should be pretty simple. If you wanna waste a lot of energy cause you like throwing out broken incandescent bulbs all the time, don't come crying to me when there's power shortages to run *anything.*
Wolf Wolf Wolf..
09-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wolf Wolf Wolf..
Yah, who's afraid of the big bad light bulb?
09-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hey, by the way, for under your car and stuff like that you *can* get these sort of long-tube conventional-(looking) flourescents, they fit in just about anywhere, don't get hot, are pretty nicely-sealed, and also don't throw as many troublesome shadows.

The simple fact is, a *huge* amount of our energy/pollution/climate change problem has to do with the fact of *simple household energy waste.* It's not helping anyone, it's not improving the quality of life, it's just *waste.*

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-09-2009 at 12:37 PM.
09-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Anyone remember where the term "Mad Hatter" came from? Anyone remember the "Mad Hatter on Saturdays in the 70s? That was one cool ride. I wonder what powered that hat. The biggest problem about recycling the cfl bulbs is they can't go in the recycle bin. They are supposed to be mailed off with a $12 fee.
09-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Anyone remember where the term "Mad Hatter" came from? Anyone remember the "Mad Hatter on Saturdays in the 70s? That was one cool ride. I wonder what powered that hat. The biggest problem about recycling the cfl bulbs is they can't go in the recycle bin. They are supposed to be mailed off with a $12 fee.
Just stuff em in the garbage. Who'd know? With a $12 fee you think that won't happen?
09-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Just stuff em in the garbage. Who'd know? With a $12 fee you think that won't happen?
And that is the inherent problem. Groundwater risk.
09-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

No, they don't. The same participating retail stores you keep driving to to replace the incandescents that keep blowing can generally take them. Or. You can have a box at the recycling center. Weren't we talking about 'due diligence' on another thread? At least *this* mercury you get tangible and real benefits from, as opposed to what deregulated industry wants to dump.

Besides, where'd 'Free Enterprise' go, all of a sudden, just cause it's something ecological?

Yes, there's mercury in there. It's not the mercury you should be most worried about. And if you can *really* get someone to pay twelve dollars to mail away a light bulb after they saved money on it for five years, hey, I'll drive it to Home Depot for six. Noooo problem.
09-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #15
graphicgr8s

And that is the inherent problem. Groundwater risk.
Of course it's a problem. If CFL's are mandated old habits die hard. Just look at the crap that gets thrown down the sewer. People tossing spent developer and fixer and whatnot. You don't think the same thing would happen with the bulbs?