Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Inactive Account

AVOID THE cowboy eBay seller Keith Rock: ferndowncameras [used to be rockycameras]

Update: there are other sellers under the name of Keith Rock that are legitimate; please make sure you double-check the usernames prior to taking this information to heart.

I have come across this terribly ridiculous bloke over 4 years ago and bought from him photoequipment described as: ''=====IN THIS LOT I OFFER AN ITEM IN EXC CONDITION .THIS IS A WORKING ITEM, SHUTTER FIRING CORRECTLY .THIS IS IN EXC COSMETIC CONDITION=====''

He describes all his items this way, but when an item is delivered, rubbish, spiders and all the remains of inner parts, which have been eaten by fungus spill out.
There is no common sense in this person, he will NEVER admit any faults, just read his replies to the negs and neutrals given to him by his buyers - all the same, he besmirches everybody in the same, mean and infantile way!!

This is his 3rd account, the 2 previous ones have been suspended by eBay due to the amount of negatives, as far as I can remember, approx. 80 per month.
He got better now having only 6-8 per month.

Please, have a look at his account and make your own judgement.

regards,

Last edited by J.Scott; 09-11-2009 at 02:25 PM.
09-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
This website is going highbrow when the members use words like 'besmirches'.
I like it!

Thanks for the tip.
If he comes here we'll kick his arse.
09-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd agree with this assessment. I was one of the many who in earlier years and before these forums existed, got caught by this guy. I think the SMCA7-210 I bought went in the bin on a cleanup some time ago. It had enough fungus to start a vegtable garden.
09-11-2009, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
This website is going highbrow when the members use words like 'besmirches'.
I like it!....................
Oh, I don't know. I think we should stick to more common terms like "calumniate"

09-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Got one of my favorite lenses from him (Helios-44M) without trouble, fwiw. That said, seems lots have issues with him.
09-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Haven't dealt with Keith Rock myself, but as a shonky seller he seems to have managed to become quite a legend in the manual lens forums from his dodgy product sales and the manner by which he deals with customer complaints. It seems he likes banning those who dare to complain from bidding on further items. He quite often offers for sale lenses n my wish list but I seem to always get out bid in his auctions.
09-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Is this the guy who used to sell the "OPTICALLY EXCELLENT" lenses?

09-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Although i like the idea of warning people about shops like that I'm kinda wondering if it's smart actually mentioning his name.
I'd just hate seeing a slander suit, because of something posted on the forums.

Would your story, without mentioning his name, and then a link to his feedback not basicly the same thing... without leaving yourself open for future problems

for that mater, I wouldn't mind seeing a sticky of all the places to avoid... without putting anyone, or the board at risk.
09-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Keith Rock is an eBay dirtbag. I had a few transactions with him:

Got a Tokina zoom lens that was optically good but I guess he forgot to mention the stuck aperture blades that I had to send to a repair shop to fix.

Second time ordered 10 lens caps and hoods, only 8 were received in the single package, 2 were missing. Even though it was a US$2 item, he made no attempt to reimburse or send the missing items. Sent neutral feedback and he responded with unwarranted negative feedback and sent me abusive email. Brought it up to eBay for resolution (including the nasty emails) and he immediately withdrew his negative feedback but not before preventing me from bidding on any future items of his. Avoid the sob because you never know if you're going to get a good deal or crap. I know of another guy who experience the same rubbish with him.
09-11-2009, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Although i like the idea of warning people about shops like that I'm kinda wondering if it's smart actually mentioning his name.
I'd just hate seeing a slander suit, because of something posted on the forums.

Would your story, without mentioning his name, and then a link to his feedback not basicly the same thing... without leaving yourself open for future problems

for that mater, I wouldn't mind seeing a sticky of all the places to avoid... without putting anyone, or the board at risk.
Ain't slander if it's true. Well, local laws may vary. Still, it sucks that Google'll dob you in now...

But he's infamously notorious for dodgy deals, from what I hear. I'm sure if it goes to court, there'll be legions of burnt buyers who'll gladly step up to testify...
09-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

While I understand that there is history, if he's such a bad seller why is his feedback rating pretty decent?
09-12-2009, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
While I understand that there is history, if he's such a bad seller why is his feedback rating pretty decent?
Until there were some changes, the common practice on Ebay was for sellers to immediately retaliate with negative feedback, even if the buyer had paid on time, then they'd hold almost all the cards: they'd have your money, and demand you withdraw the negative before they'd remove one on you (usually, if you buy things, this has a bigger impact on you than on a major seller: when you see the percentages, look at out of how many sales. 98 percent is not good if they've sold twenty thousand things this year: that means they've pissed off a lot of people, formerly, that would be even *with* retaliatory practices. )

I only had one really bad experience on Ebay, fortunately over a minor item that came without a cord pictured. After a few weeks of 'Hey, you forgot to send the cord,' emails which were ignored, I negatived them. Within five minutes, the psycho harangue began.

Freaky stuff. They were demanding my home phone number (after lots of abusive emails) and acting like their messing up was me attacking their livelihood.

Course it never occured to them to just look for the cord. Probably meant they never had it and had pirated a picture from somewhere, I guess.
09-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Until there were some changes, the common practice on Ebay was for sellers to immediately retaliate with negative feedback
Not possible anymore, and that's been in place for a good while now.
09-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #14
Site Supporter

while the OP may have a valid argument and I vaguely remember the names on Ebay, the post would hold more credibility if this was not a new account and 1st post.
09-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
while the OP may have a valid argument and I vaguely remember the names on Ebay, the post would hold more credibility if this was not a new account and 1st post.
Probably an "activist" trying to spread the word...