Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #1

Insurance

Having accumulated more photographic equipment than ever thought I would , I now want to take them along in our trips. Several people have told me that I should get travel insurance and some kind of customs declaration from the US govt, but I could not get specific information. Do you get such insurance in your trips? Thanks for your response and sorry if this has been discussed before

09-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was in the same boat as you 4 months ago while planning a trip to Tanzania. Went to the agents office to see what they had for travel insurance when they pointed me to year-round insurance.

All of my gear is insured through State Farm. If I remember right, its about $10 in premiums per $1000 of value, but you have to pay at least $30/yr if you have less than $3,000 in gear. My agent told me that I wouldn't need anything special for overseas trips or anything like that. I figure that $30/yr is well spent to cover when my stupidity takes a toll on my gear. Fragile stuff and I don't get along too well between the mountain biking, snowmobiling marshes and lakes. The agent had a scared laugh when I told her how happy I was to have purchased insurance I know I'll actually use for once.

I'd talk to your homeowners/car insurance agent and see what they have to offer. I don't know what others have, but I was assured that no matter the cause of the damage/theft to my gear, they would cover it with no deductible through State Farm. When I buy another lens, I just call them up with the make/model/serial number and they add it to the list. Put your tripods, bags, memory cards, everything on the list, it all gets covered if your bag full of goodies is stolen or falls into the lake.
09-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the detailed information . We have State Farm as well. I will give them a call tomorrow.
09-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
I was in the same boat as you 4 months ago while planning a trip to Tanzania. Went to the agents office to see what they had for travel insurance when they pointed me to year-round insurance.

All of my gear is insured through State Farm. If I remember right, its about $10 in premiums per $1000 of value, but you have to pay at least $30/yr if you have less than $3,000 in gear. My agent told me that I wouldn't need anything special for overseas trips or anything like that. I figure that $30/yr is well spent to cover when my stupidity takes a toll on my gear. Fragile stuff and I don't get along too well between the mountain biking, snowmobiling marshes and lakes. The agent had a scared laugh when I told her how happy I was to have purchased insurance I know I'll actually use for once.

I'd talk to your homeowners/car insurance agent and see what they have to offer. I don't know what others have, but I was assured that no matter the cause of the damage/theft to my gear, they would cover it with no deductible through State Farm. When I buy another lens, I just call them up with the make/model/serial number and they add it to the list. Put your tripods, bags, memory cards, everything on the list, it all gets covered if your bag full of goodies is stolen or falls into the lake.
Edit: Where in WI do you live? There's only 4 Madison Pentaxians on here...
QuoteOriginally posted by Dhruba Quote
Thanks for the detailed information . We have State Farm as well. I will give them a call tomorrow.
State Farm ftw! Their coverage and rates are so amazing for renter's insurance...$20k for $90/year...camera equipment included at no extra cost.

09-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
graphicgr8s

State Farm sucks. They screwed Florida over royally. Me and most I know are boycotting them.
09-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
State Farm sucks. They screwed Florida over royally. Me and most I know are boycotting them.
So did Farm Bureau.
09-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hmm.. may be time to discuss "public option"

09-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter

It would probably be cheaper to "self insure" it then the way Florida works.
09-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
graphicgr8s

We have that already. It sucks.
09-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #10

Original Poster
I am not a political person, my comment was meant just for fun.
09-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #11
graphicgr8s

I am not a political person, my comment was meant just for fun.
We have state run Citizens insurance. It was suppose to be the insurance company of last resort.
09-15-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Edit: Where in WI do you live? There's only 4 Madison Pentaxians on here...

State Farm ftw! Their coverage and rates are so amazing for renter's insurance...$20k for $90/year...camera equipment included at no extra cost.
Ryan,

I'm currently south of Milwaukee. Attempting to get out if the housing market will let me to move more centrally in the state. I'm a field rep for my company though and am all over the place. Pass through/stay in Madison quite often though.

On another note, did you ask your agent about how well the renters covers the camera gear? My homeowners technically does as well, but not nearly as completely as having its own plan. I don't remember what it was, maybe like a $500 value cap or something like that. Whatever the limitations were, I wasn't happy. Hopefully renter's is better at covering it than homeowners.
09-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
Ryan,

I'm currently south of Milwaukee. Attempting to get out if the housing market will let me to move more centrally in the state. I'm a field rep for my company though and am all over the place. Pass through/stay in Madison quite often though.

On another note, did you ask your agent about how well the renters covers the camera gear? My homeowners technically does as well, but not nearly as completely as having its own plan. I don't remember what it was, maybe like a $500 value cap or something like that. Whatever the limitations were, I wasn't happy. Hopefully renter's is better at covering it than homeowners.
Aha, nice. It would be awesome to get a PentaxForums Madison-area meet together

Umm...well the last time I talked with my agent was about 2 years ago and at the ripe old age of 25 my memory isn't what it used to be I have a terrible grip on numbers, and technically, I'm a couple weeks away from 25 years

All I remember is trying to figure out a "value" of my stuff to insure...their minimum was like twice was I was going to "declare." I vaguely remember asking about electronics and camera stuff, but can't remember since I was driving 2 hours away to move as soon as I was done there...

From what I understand, homeowners covers a LOT of stuff. I've never had to deal with a renter's claim though...